Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

MV Origon: is it as good as it gets in the Galapagos?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:08 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I'm researching cruises in the Galapagos. There is a new ship, the MV Origon, that had its inaugural cruise in February this year. It's a small ship with 10 staterooms for 20 passengers. It advertises itself as having understated luxury with "amenities catering to guests with a highly evolved lifestyle". It had two different 7 day cruises, alternating them.

Has anyone taken this cruise? planning to do so? Thoughts about it? Is there better? Perhaps with a 4 or 5 day itinerary? The small capacity of the boat has a lot of appeal. I understand that smaller boats have access to more islands.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

owner/operator >

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
we booked directly with the operators EcoVentura

I would pick the B - Western/Northern - Itinerary if we were to go again. This area was more remote, and had some unique wildlife, like the Red Footed Booby, and snorkeling with the penguins!
routes vary for cruises, some good cruise accommodations may have 'bad' routes

Originally Posted by MarinFlyer
South Plazas which I understand the cruise ships don't visit
Originally Posted by MarinFlyer
South Plazas was one of the more impressive islands I'd ever seen in terms of quantity and variety of wildlife on one island
wish there was listing by site of which operators visit site
"70 terrestrial visitor sites and 75 marine visitor sites"

wonder if any cruises under 10 cabins still have 2 guides

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
We flew between two of the islands - staying on Isabella and San Cristobal (avoiding the more touristy Santa Cruz). You can (and must) hire a naturalist (ours was a weekly rate and he flew with us). Did land tours and day trips to other smaller islands or parts of the bigger ones.
seems there are custom charters (not with cruise operators)

MacMyDay's link came up in past discussion here
pikaia lodge is on most populated island, santa cruz
there are also accommodations on 3 smaller islands
(two islands reached by air, one by 2-hour fast boat)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 17, 2016 at 10:48 am
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:48 am

I know it's not what you're asking, but are you aware of http://www.pikaialodgegalapagos.com ? It's where we're going to stay next year when we go to the Galapagos and looked to be the best option.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:14 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

We looked at Galapagos camp, and personally found it to be the most interesting.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Any more thoughts?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a few other FTers had brief posts re doing ecoventura on their other boats, and recommending them, but no full reports that i saw.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 27, 2016 at 7:22 am
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
We had friends who have sailed twice on the Silver Galapagos and rave about the ship, guides, and staff.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:48 pm

I have not taken a Galapagos cruise but have done a bit of research.

Itineraries are highly regulated, and IIRC, all cruise ships must follow a similar 2-week plan in order to insure that the "best" sites do not get over-run. Individual boats can customize itineraries, but they can only go to any one site in a 2 week period.

Especially in terms of deck layouts, this boat looks really appealing to me compared to most of the others in the same size range. No bad cabins on lower decks, all rooms about equal, etc. I was researching regarding possibility of booking a larger group, so this was potentially an issue (still may go in a few years when kids are a bit older).
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:57 pm

I had also seen that boat recently. I can tell you that people seem to think that EcoVentura, the operators, are among the most reputable in the Galapagos, so that's a good sign.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:14 pm

I've been on Celebrity's Xpedition twice, with different itineraries. All-inclusive 95 pax ship. Well-maintained, well-connected with the local scene. They've been around the longest, have spread lots of $$ in the local community, always seem to get preference for best guides, itineraries, landings etc. Not "luxury" but very nice and they provide a First Class "expedition."
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
We used Ecoventura over Thanksgiving couple of years ago. Superb crew and we had a fantastic time overall. They have three boats each of which has ~10 rooms if I remember right. Not the absolute top-notch in terms of luxury but made more for more than a comfortable ride, and the guides were top-notch.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
I've been on Celebrity's Xpedition twice, with different itineraries. All-inclusive 95 pax ship. Well-maintained, well-connected with the local scene. They've been around the longest, have spread lots of $$ in the local community, always seem to get preference for best guides, itineraries, landings etc. Not "luxury" but very nice and they provide a First Class "expedition."
Have you posted a trip report, by any chance?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:07 am
Original Poster

We've just come off a one week cruise on the MV Origin. I'll write a trip report when time permits. I think it is the best choice currently available in the Galapagos. The guides work free lance, and I asked them lots of questions about land and water options. MV Origin was launched last year as a luxury ship. It carries 20 passengers, considered the ideal size for reasons I'll try to remember to cover later. Apparently there are several ships being built for the luxury market. A catamaran was launched 3 weeks ago.

Ecoventura has 3 ships, the MV Letty, the MV Eric, and the MV Origin. Each carries 20 passengers max. The Letty and Eric were built in 1994 and don't target the luxury market. (As an aside, Jeff Bezos was on the Letty when he had his medical emergency and had to be medivaced out.) Ecoventura was able to take lessons learned from those ships when it had the Origin built. We loved the huge windows in our room. Service was fantastic from every single cruise member. Food was good with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. Is it the best ship in the Galapagos? Honestly, I don't know - but I do know it is an excellent ship and worthy of consideration.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 1, 2017 at 4:13 pm
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:00 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Can't wait for the trip report!
Did anyone have trouble with seasickness?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:26 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We've just come off a one week cruise on the MV Origin. I'll write a trip report when time permits. I think it is the best choice currently available in the Galapagos. The guides work free lance, and I asked them lots of questions about land and water options. MV Origin was launched last year as a luxury ship. It carries 20 passengers, considered the ideal size for reasons I'll try to remember to cover later. Apparently there are several ships being built for the luxury market. A catamaran was launched 3 weeks ago.

Ecoventura has 3 ships, the MV Letty, the MV Eric, and the MV Origin. Each carries 20 passengers max. The Letty and Eric were built in 1994 and don't target the luxury market. (As an aside, Jeff Bezos was on the Letty when he had his medical emergency and had to be medivaced out.) Ecoventura was able to take lessons learned from those ships when it had the Origin built. We loved the huge windows in our room. Service was fantastic from every single cruise member. Food was good with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. Is it the best ship in the Galapagos? Honestly, I don't know - but I do know it is an excellent ship and worthy of consideration.
Can't wait for the TR. How was the air con in the staterooms/suites?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.