Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Thailand: Soneva Kiri vs. Amanpuri vs. Phulay Bay

Thailand: Soneva Kiri vs. Amanpuri vs. Phulay Bay

Reply

Old Apr 8, 16, 3:22 am
  #31  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: London
Programs: No program whatsoever
Posts: 276
Originally Posted by TMM1982 View Post
Why not the Conrad Koh Samui?
Don't think the Conrad can compete with the FS Samui - and I've been to the latter a few times, so would like to try something different.
0bsidian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 16, 8:25 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,226
Posting from the Trisara - it's a great, very accommodating property.

The director of F&B Mr Q is excellent. Do make sure to try the 'Trigger A Smile' cocktail, which I guarantee will do just that.

The highlight for me is the physical activities - from SUP (be careful with the rocks near the shore) to excellent dedicated onsite TRX & Tennis training.
HumbleBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 16, 8:45 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 696
Starting to look at options in Phuket for a trip later this year. For those that have been to Point Yamu, any context as to why it is significantly cheaper than Trisara/Amanpuri?

I get that Trisara/Amanpuri are a cut above, but I'm just surprised by the price difference as Point Yamu is showing up as 1/2th to 1/3rd the price and just want to make sure I'm not missing something.
sfoactuary is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 16, 10:06 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BKK
Posts: 6,471
Originally Posted by sfoactuary View Post
Starting to look at options in Phuket for a trip later this year. For those that have been to Point Yamu, any context as to why it is significantly cheaper than Trisara/Amanpuri?

I get that Trisara/Amanpuri are a cut above, but I'm just surprised by the price difference as Point Yamu is showing up as 1/2th to 1/3rd the price and just want to make sure I'm not missing something.
They are not comparable properties. Point Yamu is more of a four star propety. I can't comment on it as I have not been, but I suspect it could be good value at the rates you describe.
MikeFromTokyo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 16, 8:37 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,088
Point Yamu by COMO works if you take one of the Villas. The food is very good, but the main building is a bit brutal for this part of the world. Also, the beach club is a 45 minute boat ride away. You cannot compare it with Trisara or Amanpuri.
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 16, 9:35 am
  #36  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: London
Programs: No program whatsoever
Posts: 276
Out of curiosity, what is the consensus on the Surin?
A Thai friend recommended it saying she often prefers it to Amanpuri, but checking a few pictures online I wasn't too impressed.
0bsidian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 16, 9:43 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,088
Originally Posted by 0bsidian View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the consensus on the Surin?
A Thai friend recommended it saying she often prefers it to Amanpuri, but checking a few pictures online I wasn't too impressed.
And you were right not to be - it is a good 4-star, but nothing more.
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 16, 11:28 am
  #38  
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,124
I feel like Trisara is the type of place I'd send my mother.

I would find Yamu more enjoyable.

Macmyday has been to Amanpuri and Iniala, and both of us think that it's the superior place in the area. I'd opt for Yamu for value or splurge for Iniala, probably Villa Bianca. The middle stuff, meh.
DSI is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 16, 11:55 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BKK
Posts: 6,471
Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation View Post
I feel like Trisara is the type of place I'd send my mother.

I would find Yamu more enjoyable.

Macmyday has been to Amanpuri and Iniala, and both of us think that it's the superior place in the area. I'd opt for Yamu for value or splurge for Iniala, probably Villa Bianca. The middle stuff, meh.
I think in that scenario your mother would be the luckiest one

I have no desire to ever go near Point Yamu or Iniala.
MikeFromTokyo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 16, 3:48 pm
  #40  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; MR, HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,650
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post
I think in that scenario your mother would be the luckiest one

I have no desire to ever go near Point Yamu or Iniala.
+1

Would prefer the villas at Puri or 2 bedroom at Trisara .
Aman ' s beach is best & one can trust AZ ' s choice especially for his pioneering property

Point Yamu has no beach but very interesting long pool .
As for Iniala , think won ' t be able to relax there looking at the ID or style .

Will be back at Puri next week but my cousins have decided on The Surin ( which doesn't belong here ) for the " exercise " , no buggies at Surin . Will meet them on the beach
FlyerEC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 16, 8:55 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BKK
Posts: 6,471
The Surin is a very nice four star resort. It could be very appealing if it were not next to Amanpuri...
MikeFromTokyo is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread