the luxury hotels of Dubai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the luxury hotels of Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
Wow, are the room and service standards as good as O&O?
Easily - probably better, in fact, and the beach is natural, not man-made.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:15 pm

Back to Four Seasons Resort Dubai at Jumeirah Beach

Just returned from FS Dubai (DJB) and what can I say... even during the current situation, this property has matured into such a Grande Dame. The resort is firmly in the hand of Italians and you can certainly feel the passion. Service was warm and caring, no difference from pre-pandemic times, although Lead with Care definitely makes you feel a lot safer right now.

Initially, they only had the Active/Family Pool open, except for the weekends, but I heard from the team that this may change soon. Spa facilities are also closed, but you can enjoy all treatments. Other than that, really no difference. Considering what Christelle Besnier did with the Spa, you may very well book daily treatments there.... truly exceptional!

Mercury opened for the season a while ago with a soft renovation (done by H&H, which is basically a subsidiary of the owner of the resort). You are now able to have dinner up there, which will no doubt be hugely popular with locals, when temperatures are dropping. They have also re-done all 11 Imperial Suites -- stunning. We were in one of them this time around. I was a little cautious when I first saw the pictures a while ago, as in the past, I found Sybille de Margerie's designs a little too Elle Decor, especially for FS, but she did beautifully and certainly these are the most beautiful units of the entire resort now. Handwoven rugs, great residential details and new curtains bring the colours of the Sea inside the room. Nothing was changed structurally, but again the resort is only roughly 5 years old, so nothing that would have to be changed anyway. I adore BAMO's design for the resort, but the Imperials previously were a little bland and lacklustre, so I get why they wanted to change them. The round dining table has been replaced by a rectangular, more modern version and the antique mirror that used to be there before is now a gorgeous woodwork, which really brings a lot of character and warmth to the suite. I do believe however that they should have better pictures taken of the Suite, as currently these really don't do justice to the bright, airy feel in reality.

I was sad to hear they had to adapt the size of their team for the worse, but considering the brilliance of the resort, I am cautiously optimistic that once the market recovers, they might ask some of these team members back again. Dubai is in a much better shape, compared to other destinations and I felt very safe there. They do offer in-suite COVID testing - also very reasonably priced - which is so effortless that one doesn't even mind. Also a negative test result is mandatory, if boarding a commercial flight leaving Dubai.

So for those looking for a beach escape in the next months, by all means... do go. It is truly a brilliant resort, now more than ever and I cannot wait to get back there, which is saying a lot!

Last edited by scented; Oct 1, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Old Oct 1, 2020, 7:11 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
I do love the FS J. Beach team
scented likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
I do love the FS J. Beach team
I think the love is mutual
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:27 pm

Can anyone contrast the Mandarin Oriental to FS J Beach? I do tend to gravitate to the beautiful interiors of the MO. But, the outside looks very corporate and looks like it could be in Ft Lauderdale. The lushness of the FS outside and around the pools seems like it would be an asset in the desert. Both seem to go eye to eye with each other in terms of dining, service and spa...
Looking back, the FS gets rave reviews, but the MO is relatively new and fresh. Any opinions? Thank you.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:37 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Livetotell
Can anyone contrast the Mandarin Oriental to FS J Beach? I do tend to gravitate to the beautiful interiors of the MO. But, the outside looks very corporate and looks like it could be in Ft Lauderdale. The lushness of the FS outside and around the pools seems like it would be an asset in the desert. Both seem to go eye to eye with each other in terms of dining, service and spa...
Looking back, the FS gets rave reviews, but the MO is relatively new and fresh. Any opinions? Thank you.
I've not been the MO Dubai yet but MO has always been somewhat of a let down for me.

I had great experiences with FS J beach both in terms of my own visit and also clients staying there.
Yes, the rooms are a bit bland at the FS but service and other areas more than make up for it.
It's hard to go wrong with the FS J Beach.

I also like the Bulgari
scented and Livetotell like this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Livetotell
I would not underestimate MO "Jumeira" (sans "H"), yes it looks a bit more contemporary but frankly I love BAMO's design for FS Dubai JB... so timeless! If anything, they could roll out new curtains as seen in the new Imperials, I think that would change the perception of 'bland' or 'conservative'. The rest of the FF&E is simply gorgeous.

MO always starts off well and sort of crumbles after a while, of course with exceptions, but while F&B is great at MO Jumeira, I am not really fond of their Spa concepts and pools.

Service-wise and for the overall experience, you will struggle to find something that compares to FS!
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:19 am

Spending 5 nights at Al Maha and then going into the city for another 5 over New Years. I'm looking at the FS DIFC or maybe the Waldorf Astoria J Beach. Is J Beach worth it around New Years time and after spending a whole week in seclusion at Al Maha? I saw that the FS DIFC allows J Beach access at their FS J Beach location as well. Would that be a good alternative? Also considered the Armani hotel but it looks like not many people here have had good experiences with it.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by phant0m
Spending 5 nights at Al Maha and then going into the city for another 5 over New Years. I'm looking at the FS DIFC or maybe the Waldorf Astoria J Beach. Is J Beach worth it around New Years time and after spending a whole week in seclusion at Al Maha? I saw that the FS DIFC allows J Beach access at their FS J Beach location as well. Would that be a good alternative? Also considered the Armani hotel but it looks like not many people here have had good experiences with it.
You have signing privileges and access to all facilities when staying at FS DIFC, but given New Years I would probably double check to be on the safe side here... if they sell out during this time (who knows this year), they may restrict. FS DJB and DIFC are the same owner, that's why the GM can oversee both.

FS DIFC just got a new hotel manager as well. Think previous HM now headed for Italy to oversee the renovation there of their new opening.

If given a choice between Armani and FS DIFC, I would personally always pick FS as the service and care there will undeniably be much better. And you can see the Burj from your room in comfort.

If FS DJB is worth it around New Years depends on your comfort level regarding spend. I think the FS is always worth it, the question is better asked if any hotel is worth it during New Years, given the extreme prices. But as with Puri during this time, more of a ticket into an exclusive club, rather than a hotel room!
FlyerEC and vuittonsofstyle like this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 1:27 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by scented
I would not underestimate MO "Jumeira" (sans "H"), yes it looks a bit more contemporary but frankly I love BAMO's design for FS Dubai JB... so timeless! If anything, they could roll out new curtains as seen in the new Imperials, I think that would change the perception of 'bland' or 'conservative'. The rest of the FF&E is simply gorgeous.

MO always starts off well and sort of crumbles after a while, of course with exceptions, but while F&B is great at MO Jumeira, I am not really fond of their Spa concepts and pools.

Service-wise and for the overall experience, you will struggle to find something that compares to FS!
This is slightly tangential to the hotel discussions, but I loved, loved Tasca by Jose Avillez at the MO. It's enough by itself to make me consider the hotel for my next Dubai visit. The food was great, but I just fell in love with the setting by the pool. Sitting in various un-glamorous places since Covid kicked off, I've decided that I'd probably pick Tasca as one of the first places to go experience luxury again.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by phant0m
Armani is truly awful - the bed was completely slumped on the two sides people slept, and was sparsely sprung. It would have been out of place even in a Four Points. The service at check-in was entirely unhelpful. The swimming pool is a cruel joke - looked more like an oversized hot tub. And the breakfast restaurant reminded me of a 3-star hotel but with marbled walls. Avoid.

FS DIFC is a solid property and I very much enjoyed the Deluxe Executive Suite on my last stay - well appointed room with nice clean design. It is well located for exploring the city, but just note that DIFC is a business district. I have yet to try the FS JB or Mandarin, which may well be the better choice for you.

On a more general point, as someone who has to stay in Dubai reasonably often, I find it a frustrating city for hotels - no shortage of hotels in the city (including luxury), but so many look chintzy or outright dated and, despite the number of staff, they often do not have good service.
FlyerEC and Aventine like this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stargold
Armani is truly awful - the bed was completely slumped on the two sides people slept, and was sparsely sprung. It would have been out of place even in a Four Points. The service at check-in was entirely unhelpful. The swimming pool is a cruel joke - looked more like an oversized hot tub. And the breakfast restaurant reminded me of a 3-star hotel but with marbled walls. Avoid.

FS DIFC is a solid property and I very much enjoyed the Deluxe Executive Suite on my last stay - well appointed room with nice clean design. It is well located for exploring the city, but just note that DIFC is a business district. I have yet to try the FS JB or Mandarin, which may well be the better choice for you.

On a more general point, as someone who has to stay in Dubai reasonably often, I find it a frustrating city for hotels - no shortage of hotels in the city (including luxury), but so many look chintzy or outright dated and, despite the number of staff, they often do not have good service.
FS DJB is one of the good for service. DIFC as well because of Leonardo's close attention to both properties. Armani should stick to suits.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by stargold

Originally Posted by Aventine
FS DJB is one of the good for service. DIFC as well because of Leonardo's close attention to both properties. Armani should stick to suits.
Ended up booking a Suite at FS DIFC for New Years week. Looks like you have full access to beach/pool and a shuttle that will take you back and forth. As of right now it doesn't look like the rooms are selling out yet but we'll see as we get closer. Got the Studio Suite with upgrade to the Burj Kalifa view but if it doesn't sell out hopefully can get pushed to a Deluxe Suite.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Hi All

I will be in Dubai mid Jan with my wife and normally I am using Marriott hotels, but this time I like to give FS a try so we will stay in the FS DIFC. I was thinking of the FS in Jumeirah but I believe weather will not permit extensive beach use so we've selected the FS DIFC - booked via Amex FHR so hoping for an upgrade as well. We've been many time to the RC in JBR but by now I am almost bored by the property, and I think it requires a makeover.

Being a total FS novice, I have 2 questions:

I have heard that there is a shuttle service between the two properties - is that one on request or on a scheduled basis? Our flight leaves late (the dreaded 2am to LHR) so I am wondering if we can go at the last night to the Jumeirah property and hang out in the Spa before having dinner.

Does the FS Jumeirah have a beach bar or so for drinks during the day? We were extremely lucky last year at the Anantara in Jan (weather was almost hot) so wondering if its worth to go there in the PM and have a few drinks if the weather is nice, and check out the property at the same time.

Cheers
D
Old Dec 12, 2020, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Hi All

I will be in Dubai mid Jan with my wife and normally I am using Marriott hotels, but this time I like to give FS a try so we will stay in the FS DIFC. I was thinking of the FS in Jumeirah but I believe weather will not permit extensive beach use so we've selected the FS DIFC - booked via Amex FHR so hoping for an upgrade as well. We've been many time to the RC in JBR but by now I am almost bored by the property, and I think it requires a makeover.

Being a total FS novice, I have 2 questions:

I have heard that there is a shuttle service between the two properties - is that one on request or on a scheduled basis? Our flight leaves late (the dreaded 2am to LHR) so I am wondering if we can go at the last night to the Jumeirah property and hang out in the Spa before having dinner.

Does the FS Jumeirah have a beach bar or so for drinks during the day? We were extremely lucky last year at the Anantara in Jan (weather was almost hot) so wondering if its worth to go there in the PM and have a few drinks if the weather is nice, and check out the property at the same time.

Cheers
D
I am not too sure about a Shuttle between the properties, do ask them before you arrive to clarify. In any case, DJB is only around 10 minutes by car -- a cheap Uber ride away -- from DIFC. I would definitely try and go there, you have full access and signing privileges at both properties, as you know.

The Spa facilities are still closed and I would imagine this will not change by January unfortunately, so you may book a treatment (they are the best in the Middle East, by far!), but otherwise not much to do at the Spa. If you find it too cold outside, the Spa has a beautiful indoor pool with custom SICIS mosaic and gorgeous marble, this may be worth spending some time there -- it is the most beautiful indoor pool in Dubai.

I would strongly recommend you try Sea Fu and its Bar, both enjoy a premier seafront setting... from 5 pm to 7 pm is Kanpai Hour, which means 50% discount on drinks and cocktails. Or you might as well stay for dinner, which is fantastic. It truly is my favorite restaurant in Dubai these days, maybe because the service is so warm and caring, under Annamaria. The fantastic cuisine by Chef Pierre also helps.

Dubai in January can be a bit chilly indeed, but I also had stays with 27°C and endless sunshine. Just wait and enjoy!
Duck1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.