Best hotel in Bali?

Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Just got back home this morning from our stay in Bali. Spent four full days at Amandari and could not be happier with our decision to stay there. Being there in low season likely helps as there were probably only 8-10 suites occupied. We were in suite 15, a duplex pool villa to the left side of the resort and really loved it. the duplex layout allowed me to work at night after my wife went to sleep without worrying about bothering her. The bedroom can be loud in the morning with all of the jungle noise, but we were going to sleep by 10pm, so waking up at 6am was still 8 hours of solid sleep. Also enjoyed the privacy in the pool / bale area.
In our experience, as opposed to FBCooper's, suite the suite we were in had two seperate AC controls, one for downstairs and one for upstairs. I actually remember thinking how smart that was for a hotel built 30 years ago. Also, while clearly more of a classic design, we did not find the hotel outdated at all, except for in the gym. We stayed in the Sayan Villa at the FS 5 years ago, and I think the only place where the FS clearly beats the Aman is in the spa / gym / class offerings.
All of our excursions were organized through the hotel, and we did not have any issues with the drivers. We also did not have any insects in our bed. We did get a fair amount of little critters downstairs, but that was because we left all three sliding glass doors open more or less all day, so comes with the territory.
Finally, Jann as a GM was great. Was there for our check-in and suite tour and was very present throughout our stay and also included some tips on avoiding the touristy instagram trips with less crowded alternatives so we constantly found ourselves at temples and mountain summits with just our guides and maybe 2 or 3 other local families. Again, likely helps that the hotel was low occupancy, but this was by far and away the most interaction we have had with a manager at an Aman.
The one issue we had was that on the other side of the river, a "river day club" has opened. While the swing looks fun and we don't mind people screaming as they do this, the club has decided they also want to create a party atmosphere and play loud music. This happened on our first day and Jann was all over it, but it is a process and we will see if he will remain successful in keeping the music down at the club.
Finally, FWIW we asked one of our guides about his friends who work at the other hotels. He mentioned that his friends who work at Mandapa generally do not like it because there are a lot of tour group guests from a specific country who are not nice to the staff. He said they feel they work too hard and are not appreciated. Obviously this was not the experience mentioned previously, but I know on other threads there have been comments about the soft product at Mandapa.
Sorry if this was rambling, my mind is still adjusting to the time zone.

Wow...I wish my experience at Amankila had been as nice as the way you describe your stay at Amandari! Happy that you had a great stay!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:55 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by Kimchi278
Wow...I wish my experience at Amankila had been as nice as the way you describe your stay at Amandari! Happy that you had a great stay!
You won't give us any hint as to what happened at Kila? To get up and leave mid stay, it must not have been good.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great ! sounds like he has adjusted to aman
have you visited amans with veteran GMs ?
to be honest, not exactly sure.
amanjiwo (2013) - only had a brief conversation with the manager at the time, and was not memorable
Tokyo (2014) - no conversation with a manager
Sri Lanka (2015) - a few interactions, but this was over New Years and I remember him being very busy, nice though
Amanoi (2016) - no manager there at the time of our visit
Aman-i-khas (2017) - the manager was very present; did not ask him how long he had been with Aman for and spent much more time with our "batman" who was great
Amanbagh (2017) - I got the feeling like the GM was a veteran and I know she had been to many of the other Amans; but they were way too busy over xmas and service was not great (loved the excursions)
Amandari (2018) - Jann as mentioned has now been here for three years; again I am sure that being there during low season helped, but was very present and helpful in suggestions. I also saw him speaking with the other guests. If you had told me he had trained at another Aman previously, I would have believed you
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:29 pm

Yes, sorry to hear that your experience at Amankila was so disappointing. We were actually strongly considering going there instead, and it is still on our list of places to visit.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Yes, sorry to hear that your experience at Amankila was so disappointing. We were actually strongly considering going there instead, and it is still on our list of places to visit.
And you should by all means do so. It is a wonder resort, and by far the best option in eastern Bali.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

uclabruin82, thanks !

amanjiwo (2013) - 'brief conversation not memorable' - swinton ?
www.hospitalitynet.org/appointment/79012724.html

Sri Lanka (2015) - 'few interactions New Years very busy, nice' - addis ?
www.hospitalitynet.org/appointment/79011619.html
well regarded here, knew he was one of many out under new owner
afrolanka.wordpress.com/2016/03/11/amangalla-bids-farewell-to-former-general-manager/
Pietro Addis left galla in mar, and is now at como Maalifushi
(re timing - external hires at dari/giri/nera were all in apr)
Aman-i-khas (2017) - 'very present' - not external hire

external hire >
Tokyo (2014) - mar 2014
Amanbagh (2017) - oct 2015
Amandari (2018) - apr 2016 from surin (dropped GHM 2009)

(mentioned nera GM hire did very well, unfortunately gone now)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 28, 2018 at 11:52 am
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

And you should by all means do so. It is a wonder resort, and by far the best option in eastern Bali.
Yes, the eternal debate about going back to a place we love or trying somewhere new!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts like these are the opposite of helpful if you aren't willing to share what exactly went wrong.
Musken and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

uclabruin82, thanks !

amanjiwo (2013) - 'brief conversation not memorable' - swinton ?
www.hospitalitynet.org/appointment/79012724.html

Sri Lanka (2015) - 'few interactions New Years very busy, nice' - addis ?
www.hospitalitynet.org/appointment/79011619.html
well regarded here, knew he was one of many out under new owner

Aman-i-khas (2017) - 'very present' - not external hire

external hire >
Tokyo (2014) - mar 2014
Amanbagh (2017) - oct 2015
Amandari (2018) - apr 2016 from surin (dropped GHM 2009)

(mentioned nera GM hire did very well, unfortunately gone now)
Tokyo - both succeeding GMs also external hires.

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Posts like these are the opposite of helpful if you aren't willing to share what exactly went wrong.
@Kimchi278 Agreed. We are not Aman fanboys who will jump on you for your side of the story. Even the most well regarded properties can make mistakes and it's important to share please!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:41 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Aventine

@Kimchi278 Agreed. We are not Aman fanboys who will jump on you for your side of the story. Even the most well regarded properties can make mistakes and it's important to share please!
Agreed - see the recent Aman Sveti Stefan thread which was turned around well.

It's important to know what happened rather than staying hush about it as it helps the community too.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Haven't been back in a while - is Kila is still the ultimate Bali beach hotel? Anything else on the beach that offer the same level of luxury but more value/activities?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:36 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by bluegatorade
Haven't been back in a while - is Kila is still the ultimate Bali beach hotel? Anything else on the beach that offer the same level of luxury but more value/activities?
I was just at Kila.

It's the best Aman from the ones I've been to, and this stay just confirmed that (again). It's the best hotel in Bali for me, nothing is even close to it (and there are some great hotels in Bali).

You can lounge around at Kila doing nothing at all, but they have some really great activities in the region - it's one of Bali's most fascinating areas after all. They're definitely not lacking on the activity front. Value wise they have some good rates/deals on every now and again.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I was just at Kila.

It's the best Aman from the ones I've been to, and this stay just confirmed that (again). It's the best hotel in Bali for me, nothing is even close to it (and there are some great hotels in Bali).

You can lounge around at Kila doing nothing at all, but they have some really great activities in the region - it's one of Bali's most fascinating areas after all. They're definitely not lacking on the activity front. Value wise they have some good rates/deals on every now and again.
Are you referring to complimentary activities?
Old Dec 25, 2019, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by bluegatorade
"On the beach" is a bit of an oversimplification. Amankila is a wonderful experience, and really one of a kind, but in terms specifically of beach quality, that is not really the main point of the resort. The experience is about everything, ranging from cultural activities and local excursions and activities, to just relaxing in the beautiful surroundings of the resort, whether on the beach or otherwise.

For other beach experiences, it really depends on the part of Bali you choose. There options like Nusa Dua (such as the location of the former Amanusa resort, where the St. Regis has beachfront villas nearby), Uluwatu, Jimbaran, and Seminyak; which all offer a different type of beach experience that will appeal for different reasons.

Regarding value, that depends on how you define value. For people who truly value the experience of Amankila, the resort offers exceptional value for money, particularly when you take advantage of the discounted rates available when combining two or more Aman resorts in Indonesia.

However for those looking for a different experience, there certainly are very nice options that will have lower entry level rates in the aforementioned locations. For example in Seminyak there are a lot of nearby restaurants and activities outside of one's resort, and the atmosphere is a bit more lively. In other places, you'll find quiet tranquility but fewer places to dine off property. So it really depends on what type of experience you are looking for.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Just finished a truely awful 2 night stay at the Ritz Carlton Bali.

You can read about this. Even more laughable is the GM's response to my review. Definitely won't be back.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...sula_Bali.html

Just a headsup to anyone thinking of trying this property.

Last edited by BENLEE; Dec 26, 2019 at 1:19 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.