Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel in Bali?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:41 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Aventine
The day Ian leaves is when the foundation falls out from underneath Aman.
Which is why I plan to get back to Kila and visit Jiwo, ASAP!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
What pre arrival requests had you made just out of interest
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by jja34-1
This is consistent with my experience at Jiwo last year. Despite multiple communications via my travel agent and directly in advance, I was completely underwhelmed by the disregard for my pre-arrival requests and my stay. The views are stunning and the location cannot be beat but aside from my driver, service was beneath even three star standards. My experience was such a contrast to the wonderful things I had heard about Jiwo over the years. Ian was not on property at the time of my visit and the Assistant GM who was there is no longer with Aman. And to be fair, Ian more than made up for my experience after the fact. But the best outcome would have been an enjoyable stay at Jiwo.

Based on our e-mail correspondence, I know that Ian has been working on restoring Jiwo's service. Jiwo is a fascinating hotel with wonderful views. If I were returning to the area I would probably stay there again, but with greatly tempered expectations. I agree with others that the best thing to do is email Ian directly. It's also helpful to keep in mind that Java is not Bali. I went to Jiwo expecting the type of warm and welcoming experience I had previously experienced on Bali. The Javanese have a different culture and demeanor than the Balinese and I would echo the statement that levels of English proficiency vary greatly, even at Jiwo.
What you describe is typical Aman when GM is off property. Thankfully in the glorious past, often times acceptable hosts have been found to stand in, these days... I am not so sure. Ian is a superstar and I am glad he made things right for you eventually & hoping Jiwo standards are soon back to where they were not too long ago.

Maybe it's about time they promote Joy (would be well deserved!) and send her back to her former Jiwo home.
FlyerEC, callmedtop and Aventine like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
@Kimchi278 Be sure to visit Jiwo in addition to Kila...Just had another client leave Jiwo with nothing but praises! Still one of the more special Amans. Ian and team still resemble the old Aman Ethos.
Good to know- And reassuring! I still have my reservation

The day Ian leaves is when the foundation falls out from underneath Aman.
He seems to have A LOT of positive feedback on this forum I wonder if he is aware of how popular he is

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Which is why I plan to get back to Kila and visit Jiwo, ASAP!
makes me very excited for my upcoming trip

Originally Posted by jja34-1
This is consistent with my experience at Jiwo last year. Despite multiple communications via my travel agent and directly in advance, I was completely underwhelmed by the disregard for my pre-arrival requests and my stay. The views are stunning and the location cannot be beat but aside from my driver, service was beneath even three star standards. My experience was such a contrast to the wonderful things I had heard about Jiwo over the years. Ian was not on property at the time of my visit and the Assistant GM who was there is no longer with Aman. And to be fair, Ian more than made up for my experience after the fact. But the best outcome would have been an enjoyable stay at Jiwo.

Based on our e-mail correspondence, I know that Ian has been working on restoring Jiwo's service. Jiwo is a fascinating hotel with wonderful views. If I were returning to the area I would probably stay there again, but with greatly tempered expectations. I agree with others that the best thing to do is email Ian directly. It's also helpful to keep in mind that Java is not Bali. I went to Jiwo expecting the type of warm and welcoming experience I had previously experienced on Bali. The Javanese have a different culture and demeanor than the Balinese and I would echo the statement that levels of English proficiency vary greatly, even at Jiwo.
I think your experience is similar with mine thus far. Just out of curiosity, how does a manager make up for a poor experience after you have left the resort?

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
If this was meant for me, I haven't made any requests per se as much as trying to reserve various excursions and activities. As of now, I have reserved the sunrise and intellectual tour at Borobudur, breakfast picnic at Dagi Hill, Menorah Hill hike, Andong Cart ride, Pak Bilal dinner through the hotel. Based on my interaction thus far with the staff I won't be requesting any excursions not offered through the hotel. If they can't even be bothered to help with excursions done through the hotel I can't imagine them being helpful with other activities.
Any Jiwo fans have any input for the activities I've reserved? Any other recommendations or suggestions of things I should do at the hotel? Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by scented
What you describe is typical Aman when GM is off property. Thankfully in the glorious past, often times acceptable hosts have been found to stand in, these days... I am not so sure. Ian is a superstar and I am glad he made things right for you eventually & hoping Jiwo standards are soon back to where they were not too long ago.

Maybe it's about time they promote Joy (would be well deserved!) and send her back to her former Jiwo home.
I wasn't aware how important and how much it affects one's stay for Ian to be at the resort! I'm praying that he will be there during my short stay later this month~ 😂
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kimchi278
I wasn't aware how important and how much it affects one's stay for Ian to be at the resort! I'm praying that he will be there during my short stay later this month~ 😂
Currently at Jiwo with no GM on site I can’t see any problems so far. Beautiful location and worth visiting.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by landing

Currently at Jiwo with no GM on site I can’t see any problems so far. Beautiful location and worth visiting.
my current plan I to go end of November. How’s the weather? Rainy? have you don’t any of the activities offered through the hotel ?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

my current plan I to go end of November. How’s the weather? Rainy? have you don’t any of the activities offered through the hotel ?
It can rain bad but there will always be clearing periods with heat and sunshine.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:26 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

but I’m just not sure if my frustrations are “legitimate” or I’m being over the top finicky bc it’s “aman”. Like guests who get annoyed that a server asked their name in the restaurant. I always think that’s so stupid so I don’t want to be one of those 🤣🤣🤣 do you think the frustration is legit ?
No I agree - I also don't want to be that person and I wouldn't recommend you speak to Ian otherwise.

But when it comes to concierge/reception/front desk etc sometimes it's a mix of English/communication, and also not having the requisite authority to approve/do certain things (i.e. they'll just point you to a brochure or a list etc).

I think your frustrations are legitimate on this occassion - you are also choosing Amanjiwo because of the Aman experience, and you haven't received that so far. I wouldn't complain as such, but just let Ian know about your trip, why you're coming, your expectations for your stay and any issues you may have had thus far with the booking/sorting things out.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:04 am

So far it‘s raining every day in the afternoon but it stops after couple of hours. We did the Borobudur tour and some hiking next to the resort. Later tonight we have the Indonesia bbc dinner at their Dalem Jiwo Suite and tomorrow when leaving we‘re stopping at Prambanan Valley. Somehow we ended up relaxing and enjoying our time and view at the Pool Club or in our Pool Suite with some drinks. Massages are also not bad and recommended.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by landing

So far it‘s raining every day in the afternoon but it stops after couple of hours. We did the Borobudur tour and some hiking next to the resort. Later tonight we have the Indonesia bbc dinner at their Dalem Jiwo Suite and tomorrow when leaving we‘re stopping at Prambanan Valley. Somehow we ended up relaxing and enjoying our time and view at the Pool Club or in our Pool Suite with some drinks. Massages are also not bad and recommended.
Oh. so YOU are why the Dalem Jiwo suite was blocked off for one night tonight - haha I was just looking at availability and was thinking, who reserves the "presidential suite" for only one night?! 🤣 I hope you enjoy your evening. And safe travels tomorrow. Where are you headed off to?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:50 am
Aman Contributor Badge

We spent 6 nights at Jiwo in 2016 and found the whole team to be excellent, from front desk, to housekeeping, the team at restaurants and our fantastic guide and driver. Ian was there some of the days but not present all the time, but we did not feel that there was a difference in service dependent on that. Just to calm you down a bit in case he will not be there. ;-)
FlyerEC and scented like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:55 am

Oh. so YOU are why the Dalem Jiwo suite was blocked off for one night tonight - haha I was just looking at availability and was thinking, who reserves the "presidential suite" for only one night?! 🤣 I hope you enjoy your evening. And safe travels tomorrow. Where are you headed off to?
Seems like they just blocked it today after I was asking them. 😄
Leaving via DPS to Wakatobi Diving.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
100% run of the mill requests including preferred room location (which was ignored despite the hotel being at 35% occupancy), a SIM card (which was not communicated to my driver or obtained in advance), dinner reservation requests and other tour requests. In other words, they dropped the ball on dealing with simple requests that a hotel of much lesser caliber should have been able to easily accommodate.

Originally Posted by Scented
I know this and was aware in advance that Ian would not be on premises but could not revise my schedule. Both my agent and I were assured by various people that it would not make a difference. Based on what I now know, I don't think this was so much Ian's absence as it was the result of Ian being pulled in many different directions and not being able to focus as much on Jiwo while the manager in charge of day to day operations was less focused on upholding Aman brand standards when it became clear he was being terminated. This is my impression and it is not a criticism of Ian so much as it is a reflection of Aman today. I expect things have likely improved in the last 18 months.

Just out of curiosity, how does a manager make up for a poor experience after you have left the resort?
I think that depends on the circumstances and the guest. The service recovery is between Ian and me but it more than made up for what I experienced and went far beyond what I expected. To give you some context, I wrote to Ian following consultation with another Aman manager. At the time I was disappointed but also did not want to make a fuss over multiple small issues that only became overwhelming in the aggregate. I also reached out with the intent of making him aware of my experience so that things could be improved but did not expect any compensation.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:08 am

It's his baby and he wears many hats for SE Asia Aman.
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Just alert Ian of your arrival and let him know frustrations re: dealing with front desk/reservations and make sure everything is prepped.

Yes, Ian is the GM.

I wrote Ian a few days ago and he responded in one day saying "Allow me to reach out to the Jiwo team and look into things as I am away and I will get back to you with your requests."

One of the requests was asking him to clarify a few booking requests that the experiences team was not clear on.
Rather than responding to me himself, his team reached out 24 hours later and clarified the excursions so I think that was in lieu of him responding personally.

I am not impressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.