Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Kona Village, a Rosewood Resort (Hawaii)

Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:21 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders

This is copy-pasted from Rosewood's email blurb. A complete remake of Kona Beach Resort after it was destroyed by a tsunami quite a few years ago, Rosewood will be more upscale than the original KBV. Don't know if they can maintain the sand-between-your-toes atmosphere for which so many loved the original resort. For those who don't know, the resort is north of FS Hualalai on essentially an extension of the same beach... walkable.

Rosewood Elite amenities will surely be available (breakfast + $100 resort credit). Apparently the booking engine is now live!
Uniquely inspiring travel is just around the corner, as the highly anticipated Kona Village launches its booking engine on November 1st.

Opening Summer 2023 after a full renovation of an iconic oceanfront retreat, the luxuriously relaxing resort is Rosewood's first property in Hawaii. With just 150 standalone hale — individual guest villas — set along the dramatic Kohala Coast, this seductively secluded resort is destined to become a favorite. We invite you to mark your calendar and be among the first to book.
obscure2k and Mickidon like this.

Last edited by DavidO; Nov 1, 2022 at 12:34 pm
Old Nov 1, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
This could be really great. Thanks for posting.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:27 pm
Original Member

Hawaii is always expensive but base pricing here is gasping. I wonder if post-pandemic pricing will ever come down or if this is the new reality and will only rise. I am seeing a lot of fourth-night free offers in Mexico and Caribbean. Never overly fond of Hawaii anyway, I doubt I will return at these rates. And, of course, it’s Hawaii so service levels never matched pricing in the first place. A few exceptions, of course.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 7:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by KatW
Hawaii is always expensive but base pricing here is gasping. I wonder if post-pandemic pricing will ever come down or if this is the new reality and will only rise. I am seeing a lot of fourth-night free offers in Mexico and Caribbean. Never overly fond of Hawaii anyway, I doubt I will return at these rates. And, of course, it’s Hawaii so service levels never matched pricing in the first place. A few exceptions, of course.
Our young family traveled to KVR for many years. I looked at the map plan and saw the prices. Are they out of their minds? The double Hale on the black sand beach was our go -to hale when traveling with our four children is now 25K night. Our family has beautiful memories of Kona village. . We pre-paid for 10 days every Xmas for years and greeted the same families every year. It would appear that they are no longer looking for families or loyal KVR regulars. I wonder if they will have a golf course arrangement with 4S next door.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:03 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I wonder if they will have a golf course arrangement with 4S next door.
Made me laugh.
obscure2k, United747 and gudugan like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Wow those rates are insane. Good luck to them. The resort looks great.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 9:44 am
Original Member

More info on pricing:

https://beatofhawaii.com/new-kona-vi...om-15k-weekly/
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons Preferred, Belmond Bellini, Marriott STARS/Luminous, plus many more
This property is amazing. I've already booked two families who are receiving the Rosewood Elite benefits. Prices are a bit high but on par with the brand. Those who are Rosewood enthusiast don't find this to be any different than their pricing at other properties.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:44 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ExquisiteTraveler
This property is amazing. I've already booked two families who are receiving the Rosewood Elite benefits. Prices are a bit high but on par with the brand. Those who are Rosewood enthusiast don't find this to be any different than their pricing at other properties.
Which is why, for now, Rosewood is not in my planning. I have been a frequent guest at LVP but they’re on hold for the nonce.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 5:16 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by ExquisiteTraveler
Prices are a bit high but on par with the brand. Those who are Rosewood enthusiast don't find this to be any different than their pricing at other properties.
Pricing is much higher than Rosewoods in Mexico, Canada and continental US. Aligns more to Paris and St. Barths
KatW and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Exclusive Premier Grand Opening Video

Great news, we had a chance to do a preview of the new Kona Village Resort that will be opening July 1st. This is an unofficial video preview video, however thanks to David Ourisman (aka DavidO), we will be getting an official resort tour on July 2nd and will be posting. Until then, please check this out and tell us what you want to see more of when we take the behind the scenes tour.

Old Jun 25, 2023, 11:37 pm

What a shame it's not on a beach.
schriste likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Pausanias
What a shame it's not on a beach.
The shame is that the video does not show the nice sandy beach. The one shown on the video is further away from the main beach. The beach is really lovely and in a protected cove which sees little wave action. Therefore, the ocean is ideal for swimming and snorkeling. The beach is soft black sand and the ocean is not rocky.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Kona Village - Grand Opening Tour

Many thanks to DavidO and our friends from Ourisman Travel as well as Meagan Davis, Senior Leisure Sales Manager at Kona Village for sharing a Grand Opening Tour of the resort. I will let you judge for yourself, but I think Rosewood did an amazing job reimagining the resort, preserving much of the heritage while entirely updating the infrastructure and service. From initial impressions, I think Kona Village will be a superstar!

Please see below videos that I took and am glad to share. Of note, I am totally an amateur and apologize for the wind noise, production quality - I have no commercial interests, this is something I just do because I love Hawaii, Kona and travel.

Kona Village, Arrival Experience

Moana Pool, Water Activities & Moana Bar

Moana Restaurant & Talk Story Bar

Room Tour - 2 Bedroom Oceanfront Suite

Kahuwai Cookhouse & Market

Ocean Pool

Lagoon & Romantic Dinners

Petroglyphs

Luau Grounds & Imu Pit

Tree Top Hales

Moana Restaurant & Memories

Shipwreck Bar
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
The property looks very nice and we look forward to staying there over the coming years. We did a brief tour after walking over from nearby FS. It looks like the entry level rooms are a hair smaller (600 vs 635) and priced to perfection compared to FS with their recently refreshed product. There are less F&B options than FS but workable if you’re planning to step off property at points during your trip.

I do expect teething issues though as it’s a hodge podge of employees from nearby properties that have been very well compensated to join in a tight Kona labor market.

In general loved the Hualālai area after our first stay at FS recently and are determined to buy a villa there over the coming years if the stars align (no pun intended)
FlyerEC likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.