The Silo, Cape Town

Old Feb 17, 16, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso
The Silo, Cape Town

I haven't seen this anywhere else and have some updated information on it.

The Royal Portfolio is adding a property, The Silo. It will be in Cape Town and the latest estimate (as of a few days ago) for opening is March 2017.

Here is the original announcement on the property:

http://theroyalportfolio.com/thesilo/
Old Feb 18, 16, 11:19 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Supposed to open sometime in 2016. If it's anything like the other RP properties it will be spectacular.
Old Feb 18, 16, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso
@wripro - It will not be 2016 for sure. The update this week, from the Royal Portfolio, is March 2017.
Old Feb 19, 16, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Travel K View Post
@wripro - It will not be 2016 for sure. The update this week, from the Royal Portfolio, is March 2017.
Thanks. Too bad. I'll be there late 2016 and was hoping to try it. Oh well, back to the Cape Grace.
Old Feb 20, 16, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
The Silo, Cape Town

The NYTimes travel section has a blurb this weekend as part of its new hotel to stay in this year
Old Feb 21, 16, 12:41 pm

Guess the NY Times didn't get the memo. Whenever it opens I'm sure it'll be the place to stay in Cape Town.
Old Feb 22, 16, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Planning to be in Cape Town in Feb 2017 so missing it by a month .

Oh well, back to O&O...
Old Jan 24, 18, 9:15 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Any updates or experiences here now that it's open?

I am planning to stay later this year but also worried about the water situation in Cape Town. So particularly curious how things stand at the Silo with respect to water management. Unlike most Cape Town hotels, they mention nothing about it on their website.
Old Jan 25, 18, 4:07 am

I was there for cocktails and dinner last July. A lot of the areas were still not operational but those that I had access to were stunning. Gorgeous hardware and solid software. Sadly, both my drink and my meal were forgettable.

I have to add though that I know of no other hotel in Cape Town of this caliber that is as conveniently located. The V&A Waterfront offers much amusement.
Old Jan 25, 18, 11:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
This place is beyond my budget, so I very much look forward to someone else's review!
Old Jan 25, 18, 12:07 pm

There is discussion around The Silo over here: Cape Town recommendations

However, in light of a good deal between staying in two of Royal Portfolio's properties, La Residence and The Silo, I am giving The Silo a go next month, even though I too was not impressed with our meal there in September. I am a sucker for good deals. Happy to give my thoughts once afterwards.
Old Jan 25, 18, 8:39 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, Plat AMB, SPG/MR Gold
MacMyDay,

Given the current water situation in CPT, can you give us your opinion of it when you are back. We have a trip planned out there at the beginning of May...and the water situation is making us rethink the trip. Thanks!

Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post

However, in light of a good deal between staying in two of Royal Portfolio's properties, La Residence and The Silo, I am giving The Silo a go next month, even though I too was not impressed with our meal there in September. I am a sucker for good deals. Happy to give my thoughts once afterwards.
Old Jan 26, 18, 9:40 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post

I can't wait to see your review. I love, love, love the Ellerman House where we have been staying for years. I love the rooms and suites ( one in particular), the grounds, the views to the ocean, the service, the food, the additions they have made over the years including the wine cellar.

But, I do really like the Royal Portfolio properties. La Residence is our favorite hotel in the wine country, and we have also enjoyed Royal Malewane and the Birkenhead House in Hermanus. So I am intrigued by this hotel. As we will be returning again in 2019 I am curious to see your feedback and how you would compare the two. They look very different but that's ok if Silo is another outstanding experience!
Old Jan 27, 18, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
I can't wait to see your review. I love, love, love the Ellerman House where we have been staying for years. I love the rooms and suites ( one in particular), the grounds, the views to the ocean, the service, the food, the additions they have made over the years including the wine cellar.
Same, but I only decided last minute to go from Botswana to Cape Town, so my punishment is Ellerman House being fully booked.

Originally Posted by patchan8984 View Post
MacMyDay,

Given the current water situation in CPT, can you give us your opinion of it when you are back. We have a trip planned out there at the beginning of May...and the water situation is making us rethink the trip. Thanks!
Consider it done. When I stayed in September they already had restrictions in place and Ellerman kindly asked you to chill out when it came to water usage, but now it sounds truly severe.

Cape Town water crisis: Residents urged to turn off toilet taps - BBC News

"No-one should be showering more than twice a week at this stage. You need to save water as if your life depends on it because it does."

Last year, Ms Zille revealed that she was showering once every three days. "I regard oily hair in a drought to be as much of a status symbol as a dusty car," she wrote in a column.
Fingers crossed The Silo has not introduced a minimum persons per shower quota; I can see it being quite uncomfortable when my girlfriend and I have to share a shower with 4 other strangers.
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by patchan8984 View Post
MacMyDay,

Currently in The Silo and the only restriction in place is the lack of ability to take a bath, as they have removed all the plugs - which is most certainly fair. They leave a leaflet on your bed that outlines how you could help conserve water, along with what they have done to try and help too. Their recommendations are:
  • Limit showers to 2 minutes
  • Flush less often
  • Use your towel more than once
  • Don't bath
Overall, nothing to worry about, except being in The Silo, when you could be in Ellerman House.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: