Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DC Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

DC Recommendations

My bf and I are planning a trip to Washington, DC around mid summer (targeting 2nd half of July) and were wondering if anyone could help narrow down our options for hotels and suggestions of what to do (and not to do) while in DC. It's our first real vacation as a couple, so I'm a bit stressed out with the planning of everything.

We've done some research on virtuoso and like the Park Hyatt, Ritz, and Four Seasons but are open to other suggestions. I'm not really sure how the whole virtuoso thing works with finding the right travel advisor. We're also gay, I assume hotels in DC are gay friendly but am throwing that our there just in case.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by andover9
My bf and I are planning a trip to Washington, DC around mid summer (targeting 2nd half of July) and were wondering if anyone could help narrow down our options for hotels and suggestions of what to do (and not to do) while in DC. It's our first real vacation as a couple, so I'm a bit stressed out with the planning of everything.

We've done some research on virtuoso and like the Park Hyatt, Ritz, and Four Seasons but are open to other suggestions. I'm not really sure how the whole virtuoso thing works with finding the right travel advisor. We're also gay, I assume hotels in DC are gay friendly but am throwing that our there just in case.

Any advice would be appreciated!
I think you would enjoy Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, and Ritz-Carlton Georgetown.

I would also check out Capella. I have not stayed, but bhrubin and NYBanker, who are discerning travellers, have both had very good things to say about it. I intend to try it when I get a chance.

There was recently discussion in the "most aspirational" award redemption hotel thread about Washington, DC.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...rgetown-2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...27-30-dec.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...c-capella.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ington-dc.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...here-stay.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...art-1-a-4.html
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:57 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Andover9, jerry a. laska, has made some excellent suggestions. Please follow the links he posted
Obscure2k
Moderator, Luxury Hotels
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:06 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
You should not encounter any issues as a gay couple in DC.

Here are some of my thoughts

DC is usually rather (extremely) humid and hot in the summer.

I think location-wise, as far as Virtuoso properties go, the St. Regis and the Willard Inter-Continental have brilliant locations for the touristy things one would want to do on a first visit. However, I don't think these are the best hotels to stay at from a quality of stay perspective.

I think the Mandarin Oriental is out -- I think the location is still too isolated and is absolutely dead in the evenings and weekends. Maybe in 5-10 years things will change?

The Park Hyatt has a good location in the West End, in between the Mall and Georgetown and has a"more" boutiquey hotel feel. Virtuoso also confirms the upgrade at booking at this property.

The Ritz Carlton DC, the West End property, has a nice Cub Level but I think it is a little too corporate.

I personally like being in Georgetown and the Four Seasons is a solid option but I think the hotel is also a bit corporate. The room renovations are almost complete. The Capella is my choice for a hotel in Georgetown.

The Jefferson and Hay Adams are well situated but the decor may be a little conservative for some. The W, is a part of SPG Luxury Privileges, is an option but is not exactly luxury but the location is good, right behind the Willard.

I think the Capella would be my choice -- small, intimate, contemporary design and well situated.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:24 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 8:39 am
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Dmulvee
When I visited DC as a tourist I stayed at the St Regis. I thought it was an ok hotel, with a decent location, but not amazing. If I returned I would prefer to stay at the Hay Adams, as I thought that it's location was perfect. However as I have not stayed there, you should take this recommendation with a pinch of salt!!
No pinch of salt needed - Hay Adams is a great hotel and, in my opinion, the historical hotel of choice in DC.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:11 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
The basics of DC hotels have been extensively covered. I'd just like to emphasize to avoid the MO as it is far removed from DC. I would skip a few other hotels as well due to their distance to metro stations. However, if you don't plan on using public transportation, then the hotels mentioned above will be just fine.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies everyone. We understand that July is going to be warm and humid, unfortunately it's the best time of year for us to travel due to our schedules.

From what I'm reading (both here and elsewhere) it seems like consensus is FS, RC Georgetown, and Capella. A bit hesitant about Capella as I've never heard of it before (and read mixed reviews), but it looks beautiful from the pictures.

Location wise we're looking for a trendy neighborhood with excellent restaurants (scratch kitchens and vegan are always a plus) and bars. We don't mind walking or taking the metro to visit the sights.

Does anyone have experience with the spas or pools at these resorts? What was the experience like, was it worth it?

Also, were going to be flying in BOS -> DCA and won't have a car. I assume these places all have house cars, but are they readily available? I'm not sure what occupancy is like in the summer so want to make sure we'll be able to get around in case we don't want to take public transit or uber.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:13 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Thanks for all the replies everyone. We understand that July is going to be warm and humid, unfortunately it's the best time of year for us to travel due to our schedules.

From what I'm reading (both here and elsewhere) it seems like consensus is FS, RC Georgetown, and Capella. A bit hesitant about Capella as I've never heard of it before (and read mixed reviews), but it looks beautiful from the pictures.

Location wise we're looking for a trendy neighborhood with excellent restaurants (scratch kitchens and vegan are always a plus) and bars. We don't mind walking or taking the metro to visit the sights.

Does anyone have experience with the spas or pools at these resorts? What was the experience like, was it worth it?

Also, were going to be flying in BOS -> DCA and won't have a car. I assume these places all have house cars, but are they readily available? I'm not sure what occupancy is like in the summer so want to make sure we'll be able to get around in case we don't want to take public transit or uber.
Georgetown is fairly far from public transit. The PH is about a 10 minute walk to the Foggy Bottom station and also not too terribly far from Dupont Circle... there aren't really any great options for pools in the area... most of the hotels have indoor ones (FS, PH) and the Capella has a small diping pool.. there aren't any pools with a scene or anything like that... best urban pool in the area is probably at the FS Baltimore (which is nowhere near DC....)... I would guess the FS has the best spa, but it's really nothing to write home about either...

We visit DC fairly often and usually opt for the PH, given that we like the location (access to both Georgetown and Dupont Circle) and that there is a confirmed upgrade at booking with Virtuoso... also the rates are usually a fraction of the FS/Capella... Blue Duck Tavern is a plus too.. however, I am very intrigued by Capella, which looks like a great property... it's on the next to try list...

FDW
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Georgetown is fairly far from public transit. The PH is about a 10 minute walk to the Foggy Bottom station and also not too terribly far from Dupont Circle... there aren't really any great options for pools in the area... most of the hotels have indoor ones (FS, PH) and the Capella has a small diping pool.. there aren't any pools with a scene or anything like that... best urban pool in the area is probably at the FS Baltimore (which is nowhere near DC....)... I would guess the FS has the best spa, but it's really nothing to write home about either...

FDW
FDW, thanks for the insight. I've walked good distance of Manhattan numerous times, so I'm not overly concerned about walking distance. Though it's good to keep in mind, depending on weather.

I typically swim laps 3-4 times a week, so that will definitely cut into my typical workout. I think I can manage to take a couple of days off given how much walking we'll be doing. The Capella has a rooftop pool, albeit a small one, and looks like a gorgeous place to relax later at night. The PH pool looks reasonably nice from the pictures. Do you happen to know how big it is?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:35 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

FDW, thanks for the insight. I've walked good distance of Manhattan numerous times, so I'm not overly concerned about walking distance. Though it's good to keep in mind, depending on weather.

I typically swim laps 3-4 times a week, so that will definitely cut into my typical workout. I think I can manage to take a couple of days off given how much walking we'll be doing. The Capella has a rooftop pool, albeit a small one, and looks like a gorgeous place to relax later at night. The PH pool looks reasonably nice from the pictures. Do you happen to know how big it is?
The FS pool is nicer than the PH.. The PH pool is really bare bones... I don't find it that nice at all... but utilitarian....

If you're serious about swimming the RC DC is next to the Equinox Sports club, which you will have access to and has a legit lap pool...

FDW
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:09 pm

The PH pool is totally unremarkable. Swimming pool and fitness could be a reason to consider Mandarin Oriental, not witstanding its location, if that is a priority for you.

Four Seasons also has an adequately nice lap pool.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Feb 16, 2016 at 10:15 pm
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
The PH pool is totally unremarkable. Swimming pool and fitness could be a reason to consider Mandarin Oriental, not witstanding its location, if that is a priority for you.

Four Seasons also has an adequately nice lap pool.
I'm not really sure what to do now Guess I'll need to do some more research.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:41 pm

I'm not really sure what to do now Guess I'll need to do some more research.
I think Four Seasons is the most universally appealing option, that will tick off all the boxes, including a lap pool.

Capella is worth conisdering if you want a more intimate hotel, based on reviews from forum regulars.

MO is worth considering if you highly value its spa/pool/fitness facilities, but that comes at the expense of location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.