Wiki Posts
Search

HOW to engage with concierge in advance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:00 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

There are a number of threads here concerning concierge services. My query is a bit different. I would like to learn how to engage the concierge in my stay and how to suggest non-norm activities, excursions, occasions, etc.

For example, I'm currently emailing with a concierge in Hawaii. My first email included this request:

"Please suggest activities or experiences that are special and not the norm. We are very much interested in gardens and flowers. Also, an expedition to an uncrowded beach (swimmable) with picnic would be good, as well. We appreciate romance, solitude, flowers, trees, gardens, beaches, great service. Does that help?"

In reply, I received:

"Activities that are special and not the norm…very good question. I would say taking a helicopter tour around the island or Ziplineing on the North Shore. Other activities that not your everyday tour, is swimming with dolphins or sharks. If you would like a private guide tour, we work with a company that specializes in that.

[deleted specifics and links on swimming with dolphins/sharks, helicopter tours, etc.]

For a nice beach where it is not crowded on Oahu, I would recommend Oahu’s famous North Shore. There are 8 miles of beaches to choose from for a nice picnic.”

This in no way addressed what I was hoping for. Not wanting to be snotty yet the response given outlines what I consider to be fairly ordinary tourist activities, none of which appealed.

Accompanying my initial request was a $400 order for flowers which ought to have indicated we are not penny-pinching guests.

So, what did I do wrong, and how can I inquire more precisely?

Cheers,
Kat
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:45 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I usually like working with the Chef Concierge for precisely those reasons. Usually, if they hand off your request to another Concierge (absence or whatever the reason) the Concierge they give it to can handle the request.

Another way is to ask for a referral. If there is a Clefs d"Or Concierge you have gotten to know in another city/hotel and work well with them, ask them for a referral to a (Clefs d/Or) Concierge at the hotel you are staying at. Usually Senior Concierges have a fantastic array of contacts.

I don't think it is out of order to write back to the hotel Concierge and politely state that you were looking for more off the beaten path ideas for activities. Alternately, call and ask to speak, or get the direct e-mail address, for the Chef Concierge.

These methods work well for me (and my clients).
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:26 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you, luxury, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I'll contact the chef concierge. Will come back here to say what happens.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:38 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cannot answer your general question but I do have a comment about trying to do this at your proposed destination.

I really wonder if there is much that is off the beaten path on Oahu. People have been beating paths pretty much everywhere for a long time on what is not a huge island. The only thing that springs to my mind is a "do at your own risk" hike that I have read about and it may not be either safe or relaxing -- http://alltrails.com/trail/us/hawaii...rway-to-heaven . Anyway, it doesn't meet any of your criteria.

In other words, maybe the concierge was doing the best they could in this case.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:07 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

This is a big issue, and something that comes up quite a lot in my dealings with concierge as well. I find that it is a luck of the draw when sending the initial e-mail to the concierge at any given hotel. Ideally, it shouldn't matter which concierge you get, they should all be excellent, but a lot of them give extremely generic responses. What surprises me is that the concierge's response in your example actually seems to try to answer the question, but fails to understand it.

Usually if I get uninspired responses from a concierge, I try to get someone else by sending an unrelated request. When I do get in touch with someone who shows a real interest in my requests and questions, I don't let them out of my grasp!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I cannot answer your general question but I do have a comment about trying to do this at your proposed destination.

I really wonder if there is much that is off the beaten path on Oahu. People have been beating paths pretty much everywhere for a long time on what is not a huge island. The only thing that springs to my mind is a "do at your own risk" hike that I have read about and it may not be either safe or relaxing -- http://alltrails.com/trail/us/hawaii...rway-to-heaven . Anyway, it doesn't meet any of your criteria.

I agree with RichardInSF.

For Oahu, there isn't too much off the beaten path, though there are many magical moments to be experienced on the island. You are going to have a great time.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. There is a community called Black Rock. It is very private and has an ocean front pool for community use which is carved into the cliff and which has waves which spray and sometimes come over into the pool. You can be invited by a homeowner or an amazing concierge might help you gain access.

2. Arrange for a private tour of the Iolani palace.

3. Enjoy the chefs table for dinner at Alan Wongs.

4. Go deep into the culture of the place by visiting the different cultural centers. Take private tours of the Polynesian center and the Japanese cultural center.

5. Consider reading Broken Trust, about the Bishop Trust, and then visit the Bishop museum.

6. The advice to visit the North Shore is good advice. You can pull off the road almost anywhere and enjoy an amazing private beach and picnic.

7. Take a private tour of Pear Harbor. Yes, it's a well trod path, but the same came be said of many experiences worth doing. It's moving to see this and then see all of the Japanese and Hawaiians and Americans working together.

If you've chosen Halekulani or anything on Oahu you need to set your expectations to a good quality 4 star property.

To enjoy the Halekulani properly book into the spa and their formal restaurant early in your stay. Book reservations to House without a Key early in the evening, because they book up and you will want to enjoy the sunset.

I look forward to hearing about your adventures.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
To address your larger question, I think it would help the concierge to have 3 examples of other experiences you feel were exceptional. You could write this up and keep it close at hand for new concierge interactions.

They need to better understand your needs better.

For a 5* property concierge, without knowing very much about you, that was an above average response.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:39 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U

Here are a few suggestions:,,,
What a wonderful list. Shangri-La is on my list the next time I visit.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by RichardInSF

I also agree with Richard's comments about Oahu. Hundreds visit everyday looking for something special (not the norm) and Goodmorning2u has provided an excellent list of things that are not on the menu of the normal Waikiki tourist. Contacting the private guide that the concierge suggests (or other private guides your research may uncover) might provide the best suggestions or ideas to experience something different.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:11 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks, helpful info here.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I tend to send a query to gauge the concierge and hotel suggestions and am generally surprised by how basic it is so I consult local blogs and reach out on Twitter for local people to connect me. I will ask the concierge if they've eaten at the suggested restaurant or done the tour- if they haven't I'm suspect of it.

For your initial query, I would have asked for behind the scenes type access/VIP tours that a private guide might offer. I would also list a few examples from other cities to give them idea of past preferences.

A specialized travel agent should also have fabulous access - I look at the Conde Nast list, Wendy Perrin list as well as Virtuoso and AMEX suggestions for luxury options

I love the ideas above and am making a list for my trip!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
gardens and flowers.
flowers, trees, gardens,
Accompanying my initial request was a $400 order for flowers which ought to have indicated we are not penny-pinching guests.

Cheers,
Kat
Kat -

I do not think the response was especially appropriate (zip lines?), but I have to agree with some others that Oahu is a well and heavily trampled path... We did find beach sites on our own on the north shore (during relatively busy travel times) that were uncrowded and enjoyable. We just drove the north shore to find them though, and I do not remember their names.

Please tell me more about ordering flowers in advance though! Did the concierge handle this for you? How did you describe to them what you wanted? Has this been successful for you on past hotel stays?

I like the idea (fellow garden and flower lovers here), and would like to learn what steps you take to make this happen.

Thank you,

Lark

PS If you have not been, and you like Roses, both classic and hybrids / new varieties, we truly love this place:

http://www.sanjoseca.gov/facilities/facility/details/74

San José's 5 1/2–acre Municipal Rose Garden – a one-time prune orchard – is today one of the most attractive of its kind in the world, drawing thousands of visitors each year. The garden is exclusively devoted to shrubs of the rose family and features over 4,000 rose shrubs with 189 varieties represented. Hybrid–teas comprise 75% of the plantings. These shrubs are characterized by a single high centered bloom per stem.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: CX DM
Goodmorning2u - incredible list.

If I may hijack, do you happen to have similarly outstanding suggestions for the Big Island? We will be there for CNY (Hualalai villa rental) with another couple, our small kids and nanny. Related to the topic of this thread, the Hualalai concierge has not replied to my requests yet...

We have done the usual volcano helicopter/captain cook dolphin swimming/manta ray night dive/scooter snorkeling...
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To address the larger question, I would never start this off with an email. If this is truly a luxury property, figure out the name of the chief concierge and call him/her at a time when he is likely least busy or better yet, schedule a call.

During that call, explain exactly what you want. Email is fine for run-of-the-mill stuff. But, when it comes down to drilling down, it's important to be on the phone to walk through the options. There are people who would consider the helicopter tour to be the thrill of a lifetime, but may balk at the cost. There are others who think of that as mundane.

As to the "beaten track" issue, you've presumably done the basic research to get yourself to the location in the first place. E.g., you know that you're not on some undeveloped Pacific island and that "beaten track" means something a bit different.

Once you have a relationship and an understanding, email is fine. But, otherwise, it's really hit or miss.

I disagree as to the Chief Concierge vs. underling thing. It's about relationship and understanding and time commitment.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:58 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you, Lark.

"Chef" concierge is the correct title.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.