Wiki Posts
Search

Cape Town recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:24 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Are there any views here on Tintswalo Atlantic, located at Hout Bay? Its a bit further out, south of Camps Bay/Table Mountain. It's highly rated on TripAdvisor, but I'd appreciate if anyone has experience to share.

Homepage - Tintswalo Atlantic

I'm planning ten days in the Western Cape next July - its off season, but I'll have five weeks of work. Will spend most of the time in Cape Town proper, but would like to sit by the sea for a couple of days, so still looking at options but also considering Birkenhead House in Hermanus. (I'm less worried about location on the Cape as opposed to sea views).
Birkenhead House is one of my top 5 favorite properties on the planet. The team there is fantastic, food and wine included and the views amazing. Likely will be a little early to catch the southern right whales but maybe can get lucky.

12 Apostles also an option, but no personal experience there.
makin'miles and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by A4K; Oct 31, 2021 at 12:48 pm
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:48 pm

I stayed at The Silo in May. Service was great and we had a two bedroom, two story suite. I felt the views of the waterfront were stunning and I kind of dug the British country house vibe (kind of a Soho House aesthetic). Rates were a bit aggressive for that part of the world however. I do not generally lean on concierge at most hotels to secure arrangements, so not sure about their prowess in securing top bookings. My team handled Test Kitchen and other reservations and we had a guide/driver on direction.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:31 pm

We are thinking of a Cape Town trip for a ‘second child’ baby moon (will have our 3 year old in tow) — any recommendations for Camps Bay hotels with easy access to the beach that is OK for families? Seems like most of these are boutique hote options that aren’t great for kids. Thinking about combining with Mount Nelson (my wife loves grand dame hotels) and something in wine country (notwithstanding hat wife won’t drink, some of the places look incredibly beautiful and relaxing). Thank you!
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:33 am

Currently in CPT on my way back from Safari in Sabi.

Staying at The Dock House with adult family, rooms 3 and 4 which are adjoining. We’re the only people checked in so staff have really been attentive. Rooms are very nice, small welcome bottle of Champagne and chocolate in both rooms with welcome note.

While we’re on the 2nd floor, noise from the V&A was minimal. Perhaps during summer it might be a tad more noticeable but nothing that would prevent staying here again.
offerendum and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by ords; Jun 27, 2019 at 2:48 am
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:47 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ords

Currently in CPT on my way back from Safari in Sabi.

Staying at The Dock House with adult family, rooms 3 and 4 which are adjoining. We’re the only people checked in so staff have really been attentive. Rooms are very nice, small welcome bottle of Champagne and chocolate in both rooms with welcome note.

While we’re on the 2nd floor, noise from the V&A was minimal. Perhaps during summer it might be a tad more noticeable but nothing that would prevent staying here again.
The Suite on the the ground floor is the best deal in Cape Town IMO. Enjoy!
gudugan likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
This thread is so helpful. We are going back to South Africa/CPT in November and I was going to book us into the O&O again but it seems that people prefer the Cape Grace from the V&A waterfront hotels? Appreciate that O&O has several service issues (even by city hotel standards) but there was something about the decoration of the rooms in Cape Grace that made me avoid it (I can only describe it as "generic stuffy"?). Is it really that much better from a service point of view that it warrants a stay there?

PS. I am not the one to usually complain about prices but seeing as MacMyDay mentioned it above. Cape Town hotels, for entry level rooms at least, seem to play at indeed Paris levels. For my dates, an entry level rooms at most notable hotels starts at Ł700-Ł800 (and I am not sure that you are getting much about that).
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Using the AMEX FHR program, has anyone received upgrades at the Belmond Mt. Nelson, and can anyone comment further on their experience there? Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:46 pm

Belmond Mount Nelson

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Using the AMEX FHR program, has anyone received upgrades at the Belmond Mt. Nelson, and can anyone comment further on their experience there? Thanks!
I stayed there a few years ago through FHR and was not impressed. We got upgraded to a true suite with separate living room/bedroom but the bathroom was terrible. The shower was like a tiny phone booth with a folding door that didn't even properly close. The staff didn't seem very helpful or knowledgeable about FHR so definitely check your folio at check-out to ensure they've honored everything! I know the hotel is marketed as "historic" but that really means old. I would not recommend staying there and have heard much better things about the One&Only, Cape Grace, or the Silo, though don't know how the prices compare to Belmond.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:49 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MarkP24
I think if you read back through this thread, the answers are there for you. Good luck!
Old Jan 4, 2020, 3:25 am

Has anyone stayed at 21 Nettleton before? The 20-something reviews I managed to find on the web were very positive (except for 1)
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:11 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

About to book 3 nights in Capetown for a year hence (start of a delayed safari trip, vputyrdy of COVID). Any updates to this thread? For me, the most important thing is the quality and size of the room itself, plus availability of parking/ Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 28, 2020, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
About to book 3 nights in Capetown for a year hence (start of a delayed safari trip, vputyrdy of COVID). Any updates to this thread? For me, the most important thing is the quality and size of the room itself, plus availability of parking/ Thanks in advance!
I still like Ellerman House - small but with plenty of large suites. Extraordinary views, too.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:28 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
What vuittonsofstyle said... Ellerman House, and there's no comparison. I've twice stayed there, and have also in the past tried out at Mount Nelson, O&O, Dock House and Twelve Apostles, and none of them come close (Twelve Apostles is vastly inferior, btw.) Charming property, stunning views, warm service, and very good food (and great bread in the mornings, too.) Unless you absolutely must stay near the V&A Waterfront, there's no reason to choose any other property.

We were booked there again (in the Ellerman House Suite) for this coming January, but we've just postponed our visit until 2021. Too bad....
Old Feb 20, 2023, 5:42 am

Anyone being to the newly opened Future Found Sanctuary by Time + Tide? Rooms look cozy but location might be too remote for sightseeing?
Old Aug 29, 2023, 7:27 am

Need help ASAP - Cape Town?

Hi everyone! We are set to go to Cape Town in a few weeks, and have just been informed by our travel agent that the hotel (Camissa House) we had booked suffered water damage and will not be open for our stay.

They have offered us 21 Nettleman, but we don't love the look of the room we've been offered. Ellerman appears to be sold out. We like the look of Labotessa, but aren't sure of staying downtown. We don't love the look of Silo.

Any recommendations? This has me quite flustered, so any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.