Lisbon?

Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:38 am
Original Poster

We were very happy with the Intercontinental, which is next door to the FS. Our suite was a very nice size, comfortable and had a good view across the park. Service was perfectly acceptable, if not the most refined.

The location was fine for us. We took a lot of taxis, as most things we wanted to see were not within walking distance (and wouldn't have been in walking distance of another hotel). We did walk to some places and took the metro when it was convenient.

I'd stay there again.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:38 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Or does anyone know anything about Palacio Belmonte?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: SK Diamond *G
I stayed at Palacio Belmonte with family 4 years ago and we had a wonderful experience. The palace is stunningly renovated combining old and modern. Setting is wonderful with a beautiful garden and great views. From my experience, having stayed at Ritz and Pestana Palace among others, I would rank Palacio Belmonte as a luxury B&B. It is nevertheless one of the most unique places to stay in Lisbon and I would highly recommend it as an "out of the box" hotel experience.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nice to hear! what does Palacio Belmonte not offer?

a surprising number of regular full service "luxury" hotels do not offer things like pools (it does IIRC), spas, restaurants, 24 hour room service, etc. i seem to recall seeing ritz carltons without 24 hour room service.

depends on property, but some properties may be able to offer more on request. some specifically mention it.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 14, 2016 at 7:47 am
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: SK Diamond *G
Regarding Palacio Belmonte: Rather than focusing on what it does not offer, I consider it a different experience compared to a traditional luxury hotel. In that sense, a luxury B&B is not necessarily worse then a full service luxury hotel such as for example FS Ritz where you have a number of restaurants, spa, etc. Palacio Belmonte does not have its own restaurant. A full breakfast is served in your room, one of the impressive halls or in the garden. Your choice. As far as I recall, lunch and dinner could also be arranged in the Palacio. We ventured out based on recommendations and arrangements from the wonderful and personal staff. The beautiful garden has a small pool and the views over Lisbon from the terraces are mesmerising. I really liked FS Ritz as well, although it is a much more traditional luxury hotel experience that can also be found elsewhere. That being said, the hotel has a distinct mid-century flair to it much rooted in history. It was built in 1959 by Dictator Salazar to prove that Lisbon could do luxury as well as any other European capital. I am aware that some people do not like these old-school elements, but I found it interesting.

Last edited by Ezeiza; Apr 13, 2016 at 11:55 am
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:28 am

We will be in Lisbon for 4 nights in early September. I have perused all the recent posts about hotels there, and I am not sure which to choose. Many of the ones I have been looking at are mentioned here, but I wonder if anyone has any opinions on the Pousada de Lisboa which opened about a year ago. The location seems good, and it looks very charming from the photos. It is a SLH property.

Any reviews or opinions would be appreciated!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:37 am

I would certainly consider the IC for a future visit, following my visit there in October. It is a little way out overlooking a park and up the hill from the Marques de Pombal roundabout & metro station. 10 mins or so walk depending whether you are going up- or down-hill! Service was good and the Club was fine (if small-ish). Rooms/suites - well certainly the junior suite I was given was tired and as for the shower - tiny, barely room to turn. Unfortunately the hotel was full so after complaining I had to slum-it in an ordinary room which was in fact quite good, and adequate for my purposes. It came with Club priviliges but unfortunately they had forgotten the Agraria toiletries - grrh!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:18 am

We were at the Intercontinental over New Year's. Lucked out with a triple Ambassador upgrade from a Junior Suite. As they had no suites one level above they wanted to leave us in the booked suite and offered a free meal, which we had no interest in having made other reservations, and in the end got the Ambassador Suite.

Not really impressed with the suite - huge yes, but uninteresting furnishings and the shower booth was tiny/claustrophobic - could barely move.
New Year's Day brunch at the hotel was very mediocre.

The executive lounge was pretty good though. Pouring Taittinger, relatively quiet and a good breakfast spread with a la carte available.

It's a long walk/taxi journey to most places and I much preferred our stay at the Memmo Principe Real a couple of days before the IC. Very central with a really good restaurant/bar area. Had a standard room so far smaller than our suite at IC but preferred it as there was a spacious shower, modern design, terrace and a bluetooth speaker which filled the room. No exec lounge but overall it felt more luxurious compared to the IC with very good service from the staff.

I would stay in the Memmo again without any hesitation, and give the IC a miss.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:03 pm

Memmo Principe Real or Barrio Alto are my favorites.

Four Seasons is dated.

Last edited by DonJ; Feb 4, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by DonJ
Memmo Principe Real or Barrio Alto are my favorites.

Four Seasons is dated.
FS needs more investment, I'd still go for the spa though!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: M&M Senator
Re the Pousada at the Praca de Commerico

Hotel is in excellent location - 7 minutes walk from Barrio Alto - and a bit more to the rail station. Yet it is far enough away from the pubcrawlers that you don't need to deal with them. Breakfast is good and staff attentive. Housekeeping seemed a bit strained while I was there, but all the basics were handled. When the TAP Website ordered and prepaid airport car service was a no-show (and kept lying 40 minutes that they were 5 minutes away) the bellhops were concerned and got me on my way in a cab.

To summarize - would I stay there again? Yes.

Last edited by Gamerska; Mar 14, 2017 at 10:24 am Reason: Forgot to mention hotel name!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonMiles
We were at the Intercontinental over New Year's. Lucked out with a triple Ambassador upgrade from a Junior Suite. As they had no suites one level above they wanted to leave us in the booked suite and offered a free meal, which we had no interest in having made other reservations, and in the end got the Ambassador Suite.

Not really impressed with the suite - huge yes, but uninteresting furnishings and the shower booth was tiny/claustrophobic - could barely move.
New Year's Day brunch at the hotel was very mediocre.

The executive lounge was pretty good though. Pouring Taittinger, relatively quiet and a good breakfast spread with a la carte available.

It's a long walk/taxi journey to most places and I much preferred our stay at the Memmo Principe Real a couple of days before the IC. Very central with a really good restaurant/bar area. Had a standard room so far smaller than our suite at IC but preferred it as there was a spacious shower, modern design, terrace and a bluetooth speaker which filled the room. No exec lounge but overall it felt more luxurious compared to the IC with very good service from the staff.

I would stay in the Memmo again without any hesitation, and give the IC a miss.
Has anyone tried Memmo Principe as a SPG Platinum? Photos look nice and at EUR385/night in September much cheaper than FS and many of the other elite properties in LIS!

Also, how does the location compare to Sheraton?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by kamel123
I recently attended an event at this place:

http://www.pestana.com/en/hotel/pousada-lisboa

It opened in September 2015. It is in a renovated historic building (I think a former government building/ministry), right on the main square. Not sure if this is really a luxury hotel as I did not stay, but public areas were very nicely done, and the location is perfect. In any case, would provide more sense of place than the 1970s concrete box FS.

The location and heritage of this property is unrivalled. The public areas are beautiful. I found the staff to be immensely attentive. The rooms are modern, but extremely small. Definately my no. 1 choice in Lisbon. Four Seasons is dated and somehow feels out of place. Sofitel has lots of charm but needs an even greater update; very conveniently located. Never stayed at the IC but it has zero charm to it, judging from the outside.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:47 am

The Bairro Alto hotel reopened after a 2 years renovation and is now the best choice in the city.
Also worth considering:
- The One Palcio da Anunciada (recently opened and public spaces looks great. Also has a outside pool which is relatively rare)
- Verride Palacio (beautiful renovated palace but has a few quirks/issues, small outdoor pool)
- Santa Clara 1728 (great boutique hotel, but location not in historic centre)

Four Seasons has a phenomenal gym and great service, but rooms are dated and location not in historic centre.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.

Last edited by DonJ; Sep 29, 2019 at 4:54 am
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by DonJ
- Santa Clara 1728 (great boutique hotel, but location not in historic centre)
Stayed at this wonderful B&B and the location is actually very good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.