Lisbon?

Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:39 am
Original Poster

No love for the FS? I'm leaning towards the IC, as it seem a reasonable location and I can get an executive suite (69 sq m) with a "sea" view and breakfast for about €300/night.

The Lapa seems too far. FS and IC are close to some sights and near a metro stop. Some other alternatives lack views or room size.

We plan to do a day trip to Sintra, but want to stay in Lisbon.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by richarddd
No love for the FS?
It's a very nice hotel and like I said the service is just a bit better than the IC. But I think the IC is a better choice when you consider the value for what you get.

I had a drink at the Elephant bar at the IC and the service was very nice and personal. Also it has good spectator seats by the window. I then walked across the street to the FS bar and had several waiters come up to me and offer newspapers, snacks and a top up on my drink. The drink cost double what I paid at the IC, but it was worth it. It's up to you to decide, but I prefer to pay for a room the IC and enjoy the bar at the FS.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by wripro
Another one to consider is the Bairro Alto. Not a true luxury hotel but still very good if you book the larger rooms. Its location is far better than FS or Lapa and the service is quite good.
I second the Bairro Alto Hotel. Many big name four/five star hotels are in a charmless area far from the city center and most touristic activities.

The Bairro Alto is has a stellar location, right on the border between Bairro Alto and Chiado. Great shopping, eating, nightlife, options at your doorstep. Plus the Baixo/Chiado metro is right across the street. Tied with Hotel do Chiado for best rooftop bar in the city.

It is an intimate historic property that lacks a Four Seasons buffet breakfast and pool, for instance. They are very good with LHW/Leader's Club or Virtuoso benefits, and I generally end up in a suite or premium room.

I'd never think of staying anywhere else in Lisbon.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsl42
I second the Bairro Alto Hotel. Many big name four/five star hotels are in a charmless area far from the city center and most touristic activities.

The Bairro Alto is has a stellar location, right on the border between Bairro Alto and Chiado. Great shopping, eating, nightlife, options at your doorstep. Plus the Baixo/Chiado metro is right across the street. Tied with Hotel do Chiado for best rooftop bar in the city.
Shopping, nightlife and a great bar are extremely low on my list of priorities. Also, a 29 sq m room starts at 315. For that price at the IC I can get 69 sq m and breakfast.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by richarddd
Shopping, nightlife and a great bar are extremely low on my list of priorities. Also, a 29 sq m room starts at €315. For that price at the IC I can get 69 sq m and breakfast.

Since you never previously enumerated a list of priorities nor mentioned price sensitivity, it was difficult to provide truly personalized advice.

As a frequent traveler to Lisbon, my recommendation of the Bairro Alto Hotel stands for other interested forum readers.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I concur that Bairro Alto is great for nightlife and boutique shopping. But after all it's just a 2km stroll or a few minutes by taxi from the FS/IC.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:54 pm

IC Lisbon or Sofitel?

Will be in Lisbon the first time in 2 weeks. Which hotel is in a more central location, Intercontinental or Sofitel? thanks. No status to either, unfortunately.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MargeHK
Will be in Lisbon the first time in 2 weeks. Which hotel is in a more central location, Intercontinental or Sofitel? thanks. No status to either, unfortunately.
They are just 5 minutes apart by taxi so to me location doesn't matter between the two.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:34 am

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Valverde? We are also looking at Lisbon hotels. My husband is concerned that the IC is a bit far out. Bairro Alto sounds a bit too trendy/loud for us (a number of reviews on TA note loud parties and events happening there at all hours of the night).
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

also any recent stays at Palacio Belmonte? seem to recall a few comments here

for properties with a lot of events, can ask about what is booked and occupancy

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 7, 2016 at 11:54 am
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:28 pm

IC Lisbon or Sofitel

Thanks Stimpy.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:04 am

FS Ritz Lisbon is by far the best option -- I would go for the spa alone. Nigel F took care of the spa, so it's rather special.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by scented
FS Ritz Lisbon is by far the best option -- I would go for the spa alone. Nigel F took care of the spa, so it's rather special.
Agree that Nigel Franklyn did a great job with the Spa, but the hotel still needs tons of work in the public areas and rooms. Good service, though.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:30 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
How about these two properties in Lisbon...

http://www.portobay.com/en/hotels/po...bay-liberdade/

and

http://www.nauhotels.com/index.php/e...-do-governador

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by uggboy
How about these two properties in Lisbon...

http://www.portobay.com/en/hotels/po...bay-liberdade/

and

http://www.nauhotels.com/index.php/e...-do-governador

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Prices are hot and suites Looks nice! I wasnt ready to pay the prices FS claims during my last visit, as I think the suites looks not very inviting. Bathrooms are from another time.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.