The Legian Bali - A Suite or a Club Villa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Chairman's Club, Virgin Australia The Club, AA Executive Platinum, SPG Gold

We will be going to Bali for 8 nights late January and I have booked a one bedroom villa at the Club. We have previously stayed in the main hotel but it was many years ago. I'm wondering if we have made the right choice choosing the Club over a suite at the hotel. The included privileges that come with the Club villas are very appealing but I've heard some people complain about the location and the unattractive pathway one must navigate to get to the beach and the main hotel. Also as the Club villas are behind the main hotel I assume they would have no outlook or views. I think I remember though from our last stay, when we were beachfront, that the sound of the surf at night was quiet deafening but my recollections are vague. Any thoughts and insights into which is preferable would be appreciated.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: LH Senator
Originally Posted by ClefsDor
We will be going to Bali for 8 nights late January and I have booked a one bedroom villa at the Club. We have previously stayed in the main hotel but it was many years ago. I'm wondering if we have made the right choice choosing the Club over a suite at the hotel. The included privileges that come with the Club villas are very appealing but I've heard some people complain about the location and the unattractive pathway one must navigate to get to the beach and the main hotel. Also as the Club villas are behind the main hotel I assume they would have no outlook or views. I think I remember though from our last stay, when we were beachfront, that the sound of the surf at night was quiet deafening but my recollections are vague. Any thoughts and insights into which is preferable would be appreciated.
The Legian is a fabulous hotel with a great beach front location. I have been there eight times and will go back in September. I generally very much like the GHM Club concept privileges, which we have tried at the Nam Hai and Chedi Clud Ubud.

However, I am not at all tempted by the Legian Club villas. The villas are lovely but as you correctly say, there is no view and I don't like the inland location. The frequent transfers to the main hotel facilities do not appeal to me and the lack of breeze from the sea makes it feel much warmer.

I personally love the sound of the sea, which indeed can be quite loud in the main hotel depending on the tide but it has never disturbed me at all. I think it is very much a personal preference whether to pick the main hotel or a Club villa but I would definitely always opt for the main hotel.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:10 am

For me, a suite in the main hotel.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:14 pm

I wouldn't consider the villas. Too far from the beach via a yucky alleyway.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
whichever you decide i wouldn't let the path way put you off at all... its not fantastic and when we were there in august there was a bit of renovation works going on to a house adjacent to it but what i thought might have been a concern wasn't really one at all.. each to their own i suppose..
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Chairman's Club, Virgin Australia The Club, AA Executive Platinum, SPG Gold
Thanks for everyones feedback. Sounds like the main hotel is going to be the better option. As its not peak time I think we will have a look at the villas when we check in and decide then if we want to transfer.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
The suites are better imo - i had a villa but regretted it (unless you are on a honeymoon)
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:34 am
Aman Contributor Badge

We have a villa booked for later this year. Could change to suite, but which one would you recommend?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm considering a stay too. Are the one bedroom suites worth the upgrade from a studio suite?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:02 pm

I have only stayed in Deluxe suites. I did see a Studio suite many years ago and other than being slightly smaller I think that the biggest difference is that the bedroom and living room are not separated.

The hotels consists of four 'blocks', which are only connected at ground floor level, and the first digit in the room number indicates the block number, the second digit indicates the floor and the last digit the suite number on the floor.

I personally prefer the top floor (3) while other guests prefer the ground floor (0) for easy access to the facilities.

The layout of the Deluxe suites actually differs a lot. Suite 131 used to be our favorite as it has plenty of windows (end of the building) with a beautiful view of the entire beach towards Kuta. However, the terraces are quite narrow and the bedroom is facing the street (some noise). Suite 135 feels slightly smaller but has a big terrace with sun loungers.

Our preferred layout is now the Deluxe suites with the last digit 3 because the bedroom and living room are facing the sea and has a good terrace. A small disadvantage is perhaps the lack of windows in the huge bathroom.
belsize77 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmalux
I have only stayed in Deluxe suites. I did see a Studio suite many years ago and other than being slightly smaller I think that the biggest difference is that the bedroom and living room are not separated.

The hotels consists of four 'blocks', which are only connected at ground floor level, and the first digit in the room number indicates the block number, the second digit indicates the floor and the last digit the suite number on the floor.

I personally prefer the top floor (3) while other guests prefer the ground floor (0) for easy access to the facilities.

The layout of the Deluxe suites actually differs a lot. Suite 131 used to be our favorite as it has plenty of windows (end of the building) with a beautiful view of the entire beach towards Kuta. However, the terraces are quite narrow and the bedroom is facing the street (some noise). Suite 135 feels slightly smaller but has a big terrace with sun loungers.

Our preferred layout is now the Deluxe suites with the last digit 3 because the bedroom and living room are facing the sea and has a good terrace. A small disadvantage is perhaps the lack of windows in the huge bathroom.
Thanks for the information - that's very interesting to know. I didn't realise there were such big differences in the Suites. The main concern for us is the balcony or terrace size and the view - the bigger the better. Sounds like Suites ending in "3" are going to be the best for us - don't mind the lack of windows in the bathroom so much. Is there a preferred block? We are thinking of transferring to a 1 bedroom deluxe suite so if we want top floor 133 should be a good choice?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:17 am
Aman Contributor Badge

We chose the club villas for privacy and private pool and were also thinking service would be better in a smaller club area. Comments? Have stayed at amans and FS at Bali before and feel a bit "scared" about the size of the main hotel.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by ClefsDor
Thanks for the information - that's very interesting to know. I didn't realise there were such big differences in the Suites. The main concern for us is the balcony or terrace size and the view - the bigger the better. Sounds like Suites ending in "3" are going to be the best for us - don't mind the lack of windows in the bathroom so much. Is there a preferred block? We are thinking of transferring to a 1 bedroom deluxe suite so if we want top floor 133 should be a good choice?
Yes, 133 should be a good choice. You will see the spa in the garden in front of block 1 but it is not necessarily a disadvantage. I don't think that there is any reason to have a strong preference for any of the blocks.

The last four times, we have stayed in block 3 but it is probably mainly due to habits. The gym and spa are in block 1, so it can be convenient to be close to these facilities. However, it is a small hotel, so distance is not really an issue.

Please note that it is rather likely that one or more of the blocks will be closed in January due to general maintenance (new lifts). We were told that they would close parts of the hotel this winter to carry out this work. However, it should not disturb the guests.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Musken
We chose the club villas for privacy and private pool and were also thinking service would be better in a smaller club area. Comments? Have stayed at amans and FS at Bali before and feel a bit "scared" about the size of the main hotel.
The service level will definitely be better in the villas as you will have your own butler, who will do his/her utmost to optimise your stay.

A pool villa will always have the advantage of more privacy and less stress as you don't necessarily have to share the facilities with other guests.

However, the main hotel also offers very good service. The pool attendants are usually very attentive and there are always plenty of sun loungers available. It is a small hotel with a big garden/pool area, so I don't think that there is any reason to be scared about the size of the hotel. They usually have many kids in the hotel during high season in July/August and it may be better to stay in a villa during this period unless you don't mind having kids running around.

We are generally big fans of private pool villas (regular guests at the Nam Hai and Trisara) but I really don't like the inland location of the Legian villas.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:26 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jmalux
The service level will definitely be better in the villas as you will have your own butler, who will do his/her utmost to optimise your stay.

A pool villa will always have the advantage of more privacy and less stress as you don't necessarily have to share the facilities with other guests.

However, the main hotel also offers very good service. The pool attendants are usually very attentive and there are always plenty of sun loungers available. It is a small hotel with a big garden/pool area, so I don't think that there is any reason to be scared about the size of the hotel. They usually have many kids in the hotel during high season in July/August and it may be better to stay in a villa during this period unless you don't mind having kids running around.

We are generally big fans of private pool villas (regular guests at the Nam Hai and Trisara) but I really don't like the inland location of the Legian villas.
How far inland is it? How long does it take to get to the main hotel and its beach and pool? Will we be treated "worse" than main hotel guests at the main hotel? (not recognized etc)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.