Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mandarin Oriental Marrakech

Old Dec 16, 15, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: No program whatsoever

Has everyone been to the recently opened MO Marrakech?

I am planning a weekend trip to Marrakech in February and the new MO looks stunning.

Any opinions? Four Seasons is quite cheaper but the MO hard product looks significantly better.
Old Dec 16, 15, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by 0bsidian View Post
Has everyone been to the recently opened MO Marrakech?

I am planning a weekend trip to Marrakech in February and the new MO looks stunning.

Any opinions? Four Seasons is quite cheaper but the MO hard product looks significantly better.
Someone asked a similar question last month in the Marrakech thread (without any replies as of yet):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...rrakech-3.html
Also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-lately-3.html
Old Dec 17, 15, 2:11 am

Paging vuittons ...
Old Dec 17, 15, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Someone asked a similar question last month in the Marrakech thread (without any replies as of yet):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...rrakech-3.html
Also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-lately-3.html
Thank you, very useful.
Old Jun 12, 16, 3:25 am

I'll write a review up sometime, but here's some photos of our stay in an Oriental Pool Villa. In summary, excellent value for money, - especially with their 3-for-2 offer currently on - yet could do with some improvements in food and service.

Main entrance

Main entrance

Outdoor pool

Indoor pool

Entrance to villa

View into master bedroom

Master bathroom

Master bedroom

Living room

Villa jacuzzi (an actual heated jacuzzi!) + pool

Outdoor living area

Pool + main villa area

Breakfast buffet

Full album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57668712077430
Old Jun 12, 16, 3:52 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I must say, from your review I like the MO. Saw the price and must say: What a bargain!
Old Jun 12, 16, 4:19 am

The newest generation resort in Marrakech and, frankly, without much competition at the moment. F&B is already ahead of many other resorts, but will get better over time, especially compared to my favorite in Marrakech, the FS, which has to catch up a bit in this regard. Hakkasan at the MO will open around September/October.

I haven't tried the spa so far but I hear whispers that they have yet to iron out some kinks. Glorious design!

Were you bothered by the frogs at night? 50 is close to the central irrigation feature and quite lively after sunset.

I suspect we will see more of these great value offers in the near future, as the market in Marrakech is a bit difficult at the moment to put it nicely.
Old Jun 12, 16, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by scented View Post
Were you bothered by the frogs at night? 50 is close to the central irrigation feature and quite lively after sunset.
Amazingly no. Were you? I do not know how they have managed it, but within your villa it is very quiet, yet just opening the main villa doors and walking ~15m onto the walkway, it sounds like you've walked onto a low budget horror film set. I was not sure whether it was better or worse that this only took place at night. On one hand I could not see anything, so ignorance is bliss; on the other hand I could not see anything, so my imagination started wondering what the hell was in the bushes.

The spa design is phenomenal, as is their gym. Unfortunately they would not let me take any photos of any treatment rooms - quite strange, seeing that they were ok with me walking around the hotel with a tripod to take pictures.

As for Hakkasan, they did mention the opening of this. I love Hakkasan in London and go rather frequently, but I've always found their implementations abroad to be poor, just like Zuma. I may have considered it if it were open and we were here a bit longer.

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
I must say, from your review I like the MO. Saw the price and must say: What a bargain!
Every year I take my dad on at least one holiday with us. In '14 it was to Amanzoe. It cost over 3x (nearly 4x) what this has cost, so bargain is a very fair word. From London, MO Marrakech is actually a lot easier to get to as well, due to the short distance from the airport to the resort. Whilst it certainly is not to the same standard of Amanzoe, it has to be appreciated for what it is and it offers fantastic value. I would definitely return.
Old Jun 12, 16, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
Amazingly no. Were you? I do not know how they have managed it, but within your villa it is very quiet, yet just opening the main villa doors and walking ~15m onto the walkway, it sounds like you've walked onto a low budget horror film set. I was not sure whether it was better or worse that this only took place at night. On one hand I could not see anything, so ignorance is bliss; on the other hand I could not see anything, so my imagination started wondering what the hell was in the bushes.

The spa design is phenomenal, as is their gym. Unfortunately they would not let me take any photos of any treatment rooms - quite strange, seeing that they were ok with me walking around the hotel with a tripod to take pictures.

As for Hakkasan, they did mention the opening of this. I love Hakkasan in London and go rather frequently, but I've always found their implementations abroad to be poor, just like Zuma. I may have considered it if it were open and we were here a bit longer.
Funny you bring this up, as I thought exactly the same. Incidentally, none of the designers or landscape architects expected such a concert at night!
Once you are inside the villa, it is very calm though. Phew!

If I were to go again, I would probably request #22 or #25, as these make for a very peaceful stay with close proximity to the spa. Much preferred over the (admittedly) stunning Infinity Pool Suites.

I cannot wait to try Hakkasan, apparently it is meant to be a slight variation from the 'standard' restaurant. Hope they get it up and running soon and it won't suffer from the current delays that many projects in Marrakech face, due to the situation.

I was slightly worried about the security situation at the MO, but was assured that they sort this out pretty soon. Not once was my car checked for threats prior to entrance to the property, compared with the really strict and top security SOPs at the FS, this felt off. Most hotels in Marrakech now have an airport-style metal detector at the entrance, MO being the exception.
Old Jun 12, 16, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
I'll write a review up sometime, but here's some photos of our stay in an Oriental Pool Villa. In summary, excellent value for money, - especially with their 3-for-2 offer currently on - yet could do with some improvements in food and service.
Thank you very much for the pictures and looking forward to the report - looking to plan a trip to Marrakesh in the near future.

I was leaning towards Amanjena, but the 3-for-2 seems incredible value - makes a decision on where to stay difficult.
Old Jun 13, 16, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jena advertising 3rd nt free through US amex FHR through july

which two MO (bedroom) suites are attached to spa?
wonder if they could have after hours access to pool

for example, this spa suite advertises that >
leguanahani.com/accommodations/#wellness-suite

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 13, 16 at 11:13 am
Old Jun 13, 16, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
jena advertising 3rd nt free through US amex FHR through july

which two MO (bedroom) suites are attached to spa?
wonder if they could have after hours access to pool
There are two units that are attached to the spa, the two (2BR) Infinity Pool Suites. The keycards are coded so you can use the passageway directly into the spa. Not sure about after hours pool access, will try to find out. Private pool is good size (18m) and intended for laps.

I prefer the layout of the Oriental Villas.
Old Jun 15, 16, 12:47 pm

Just heard that the security situation should be improved by now at MO.
Old Jun 15, 16, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by scented View Post
Just heard that the security situation should be improved by now at MO.
Security were omnipresent when I was there. Probably trying to keep me away from the decent guests.
Old Jun 16, 16, 2:25 pm

The indoor pool at the MO looks nice and a clever tactic since the winter months here can be distinctly chilly. I like everything about Macmyday's suite except for the pop-up TV at the foot of the bed. Reminds me of those 1980s gimmicks that dragged on at Orient Express properties.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: