FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Park Hyatt or Excelsior Gallia Milan? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1728915-park-hyatt-excelsior-gallia-milan.html)

Mr. Strong Dec 4, 2015 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 25815993)
Thanks for that! Any chance you have a comparison on the air con at the PH and EHG? I love air con and to be quite cold...:)

I think PH Milan has slightly stronger A/C and at PH Milan you can open your windows.

epitopeX Dec 7, 2015 12:21 pm

I've only stayed at the PH Milan among the two. I do love it's location and the rooms are very nice. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Have you considered trying the principe di savoia? I actually like it more than the PH.

MikeFromTokyo Dec 7, 2015 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by epitopeX (Post 25826871)
I've only stayed at the PH Milan among the two. I do love it's location and the rooms are very nice. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Have you considered trying the principe di savoia? I actually like it more than the PH.

The thing is that the OP can almost certainly get upgraded to a mid level or higher suite category at Excelsior Gallia, on an award stay. That value proposition is pretty unbeatable.

bhrubin Dec 7, 2015 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by epitopeX (Post 25826871)

I want to use either SPG points for Excelsior Gallia or Chase UR-Hyatt points for the Park Hyatt--and I'll be getting 2 rooms. While the Principe might be lovely, I can't use points to get the rooms for free! :D

With SPG merging into Marriott, I obviously am looking to burn my SPG points for good value, which is why I lean towards the Excelsior Gallia now. I have hundreds of thousands of both SPG points and Chase points, but the imminent merger makes SPG points likely for a future devaluation. Using Chase UR/Hyatt points for a free PH award stay WILL NOT let me use the DSUs to get a suite upgrade, whereas using SPg points for the Excelsior Gallia WILL allow me the chance for a comp'd suite upgrade or SNA suite upgrade even with on free award stay. And the Excelsior Gallia is only 20K points per night, as opposed to the PH which is 30K points per night.

Basically, with both sounding like very nice properties, I want to take advantage of the SPG points and benefits I have that very likely will be ending once Marriott fully mergers with Starwood in summer/fall 2016. And a free stay at the Excelsior Gallia--especially in a suite--sounds like a better value proposition than a free stay at the Park Hyatt in a regular entry level room.

bhrubin Dec 7, 2015 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 25827011)
The thing is that the OP can almost certainly get upgraded to a mid level or higher suite category at Excelsior Gallia, on an award stay. That value proposition is pretty unbeatable.

^

Exactly.

epitopeX Dec 7, 2015 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 25827017)
And a free stay at the Excelsior Gallia--especially in a suite--sounds like a better value proposition than a free stay at the Park Hyatt in a regular entry level room.

That I completely agree. ;);)

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 25827017)
With SPG merging into Marriott, I obviously am looking to burn my SPG points for good value

I'm in the same boat as you and I totally see your rational. Over the past year I have burnt close to 400K Starpoints, and I'm planning to spend my remaining 200K in the next ~8 month before Marriott kicks in... Ironically, I earned another 80K Starpoints over Thanksgiving at the Gritti Palace...

bhrubin Dec 7, 2015 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by epitopeX (Post 25828002)
I'm in the same boat as you and I totally see your rational. Over the past year I have burnt close to 400K Starpoints, and I'm planning to spend my remaining 200K in the next ~8 month before Marriott kicks in... Ironically, I earned another 80K Starpoints over Thanksgiving at the Gritti Palace...

First, how did you like the Gritti? Where did you dine?

Actually, I'll be BURNING another 105K Starpoints at the Gritti before hitting the Excelsior Gallia and burning 120K on 2 rooms there...not to mention burning another 40K at the Park Tower Knightsbridge in London. I also burned 160K Starpoints for LH miles to get LAX-FRA-VCE on LH F/J for the outbound, and I burned 200K Starpoints for AA miles for LHR-LAX F on AA for the return. (I'd already burned Starpoints for AA miles to get Air Tahiti Nui J LAX-PPT in April.)

I'll be earning more in about 10 days after my 4 night leisure stay at the StR SF--it was too good a rate (for Astor Suite) to use points. :(

I still have 400K Starpoints, and my husband has 300K. And I will earn far more in the first half of 2016 since I'm SPG Pro and have all of my group business then! So I really need to burn!

MikeFromTokyo Dec 7, 2015 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 25827038)
^

Exactly.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit envious of a free stay in a large suite at Gallia. Enjoy^

I think it still makes sense to earn SPG points, but I would just be sure to make award bookings as far in advance as possible to lock in current redemption rates, as you are doing.

It would be risky to have a large point balance just sitting in one's account for too long. Hopefully SPG will give sufficient advance notice of any devaluation or changes. Personally, I transfer all SPG points to air miles, which is what anyone with leftover points should probably do before any devaluation happens.

bhrubin Dec 7, 2015 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 25828739)
I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit envious of a free stay in a large suite at Gallia. Enjoy^

Thanks. I'm even more excited about the prospect of a suite at the Gritti. I'm thrilled that I finally booked it...and that the stay is likely before any Marriott devaluation of benefits. (I'm assuming Marriott won't change SPG benefits through 2016...but woe be to those expecting no charges for 2017!)

I think it still makes sense to earn SPG points, but I would just be sure to make award bookings as far in advance as possible to lock in current redemption rates, which I am sure is what you are doing.
Indeed. But with so many between us, I don't plan to book any more paid SPG stays beyond what is booked already and for my SPG Pro group bookings.

It would be risky to have a large point balance just sitting in one's account for too long. Hopefully SPG will give sufficient advance notice of any devaluation or changes. Personally, I transfer all SPG points to air miles, which is what anyone with leftover points should probably do before any devaluation happens.
It isn't SPG that is likely to announce any changes--it will be Marriott, once the merger is completed. Look at how fast AA announced its devaluation and changes after it completed its merger. I'm sure Marriott is already analyzing and evaluating what changes it can and should make. Once they are merged, it won't take much time before they announce. The question will be how much notice Marriott allows before the changes...and Marriott being Marriott, I'm not overly optimistic.

I've already been transferring to LH, AA, and AS in routine amounts of 60K to get the 15K bonus--at least once a week. I'm concerned that Marriott might unilaterally decide that SPG should end the transfer program earlier than the merger...even though there is no evidence that will occur. Regardless, I don't want to be needing to transfer at the 11th hour and some tech glitch due to SPG elites overloading the system with transfers to preclude me from getting those points transferred!

MikeFromTokyo Dec 7, 2015 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 25828851)
Thank. I'm even more excited about the prospect of a suite at the Gritti. I'm thrilled that I finally booked it...and that the stay is likely before any Marriott devaluation of benefits. (I'm assuming Marriott won't change SPG benefits through 2016...but woe be to those expecting no charges for 2017!)...

The whole trip sounds fantastic, and it's really amazing what kind of value SPG points hold, especially for top tier elites who can earn over four points/miles per dollar, and even more from credit card spend.

It isn't SPG that is likely to announce any changes--it will be Marriott, once the merger is completed. Look at how fast AA announced its devaluation and changes after it completed its merger. I'm sure Marriott is already analyzing and evaluating what changes it can and should make. Once they are merged, it won't take much time before they announce. The question will be how much notice Marriott allows before the changes...and Marriott being Marriott, I'm not overly optimistic.

I've already been transferring to LH, AA, and AS in routine amounts of 60K to get the 15K bonus--at least once a week. I'm concerned that Marriott might unilaterally decide that SPG should end the transfer program earlier than the merger...even though there is no evidence that will occur. Regardless, I don't want to be needing to transfer at the 11th hour and some tech glitch due to SPG elites overloading the system with transfers to preclude me from getting those points transferred!
Good point, Marriott will be the one to announce changes after the merger.

I have always loved SPG's mileage transfer rates to all of my favorite airlines. It's a shame that will almost certainly change after the merger.

It sounds like you've done very well with those LH and AA redemptions, with the latter being at AA's pre devaluation levels. Hopefully AA LHR-LAX will be on the new 777-300 with those very nice F seats. Also, fewer surcharges on AA than on BA:cool:

epitopeX Dec 8, 2015 9:16 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 25828061)
First, how did you like the Gritti? Where did you dine?

Gritti is one of the best SPG properties I have stayed at. Almost perfect overall, except some very minor glitches like on two nights they provided 40mL instead of 75mL Acqua di Parma toiletries in the suite.

I happened to pass by Aman once while doing some random walk in Venice. I would say that Gritti is in a much better location compared to the Aman, especially if you have a Grand Canal view. From Gritti you have an unobstructed view of some of the the most iconic buildings like Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute. I would choose Gritti over Aman unless I stay in the Alcova Tiepolo suite there.

F&B in Gritti is quite good overall. A la carte breakfast is quite good, although there are really not many items to select from -- we ended up ordering the same items on most days. Buffet breakfast is terrible -- one of the smallest due to its set up. We had dinner there once and were quite satisfied. Considering that we had our dinners at all but one Michelin starred restaurants in Venice before dining in Gritti and still found it good, I would say their F&B is quite strong. The Hemingway risotto is one of the best risottos I've ever had. We had lunch once at the Terrace Restaurant at the Danieli -- food is OK but view is unbeatable (they don't serve food on the terrace during winter, but you can walk out onto the terrace).

Quadri and MET stood out as our best meals in Venice. But I would say Venice is not as strong as some other places in Italy on having the best restaurants. If you are going to Milan I highly recommend taking a train to Modena just to dine at the Osteria Francescana -- one of the best meals I've ever had.

farbster Dec 8, 2015 10:55 am

bhrubin - what temp do you keep your house? Just wondering.

bhrubin Dec 8, 2015 11:10 am

Originally Posted by farbster (Post 25832127)
bhrubin - what temp do you keep your house? Just wondering.

My office/retreat is now 66 F with the sliding doors open to outside--and I'm in shorts with no shirt. I like it cool! Our friends know to bring a sweater or jacket when they visit since I keep our house so cool, either by opening the doors/windows or by cranking the air con to 68 F or so.

My husband brings a sweatshirt with him whenever we travel, even to warm locales, since he knows I'll be cranking the air con to 65-68 F. I often contact hotels to guarantee in writing that our room/suite bedroom air con will cool to at least 68 F.

On the other hand, I dived the Blue Hole in Belize to a depth of 144 feet without a wetsuit. The temperature at that depth was around 66 F. The dive masters were astonished that I didn't become hypothermic. One of them tried to do it and came up hypothermic after going to just 60 feet below.

It isn't that I want to be this way, but I can't help that I am this way. It isn't until it's cold and I'm perfectly fine in short sleeves and shorts--while everyone else is bundled up--that most recognize how I could be so uncomfortable at 72 F or higher.

bhrubin Dec 8, 2015 11:19 am

Originally Posted by epitopeX (Post 25831614)
Gritti is one of the best SPG properties I have stayed at. Almost perfect overall, except some very minor glitches like on two nights they provided 40mL instead of 75mL Acqua di Parma toiletries in the suite.

I happened to pass by Aman once while doing some random walk in Venice. I would say that Gritti is in a much better location compared to the Aman, especially if you have a Grand Canal view. From Gritti you have an unobstructed view of some of the the most iconic buildings like Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute. I would choose Gritti over Aman unless I stay in the Alcova Tiepolo suite there.

F&B in Gritti is quite good overall. A la carte breakfast is quite good, although there are really not many items to select from -- we ended up ordering the same items on most days. Buffet breakfast is terrible -- one of the smallest due to its set up. We had dinner there once and were quite satisfied. Considering that we had our dinners at all but one Michelin starred restaurants in Venice before dining in Gritti and still found it good, I would say their F&B is quite strong. The Hemingway risotto is one of the best risottos I've ever had. We had lunch once at the Terrace Restaurant at the Danieli -- food is OK but view is unbeatable (they don't serve food on the terrace during winter, but you can walk out onto the terrace).

Quadri and MET stood out as our best meals in Venice. But I would say Venice is not as strong as some other places in Italy on having the best restaurants. If you are going to Milan I highly recommend taking a train to Modena just to dine at the Osteria Francescana -- one of the best meals I've ever had.

Thanks! Considering I'll be staying at the Gritti and Excelsior Gallia free on SPG points, with SNAs and suite upgrades likely assured with my great Ambassador and with my stays at lower occupancy periods, I think I'll be doing OK, indeed. :p

We've got reservations already lined up in Venice for Quadri and MET, as well as Osteria da Fiore and a lunch at the Aman Grand Canal.

We've got reservations already lined up in Milan for Berton, Al Pont de Ferr, Il Luogo di Aimo e Nadia, and Alice.

Much as I want to include a second visit to Le Calandre and my first visit to Osteria Franscescana, my husband and fellow travelers are not up for the treks. Another time, another trip. :)

epitopeX Dec 8, 2015 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 25832261)
Thanks! Considering I'll be staying at the Gritti and Excelsior Gallia free on SPG points, with SNAs and suite upgrades likely assured with my great Ambassador and with my stays at lower occupancy periods, I think I'll be doing OK, indeed. :p

We've got reservations already lined up in Venice for Quadri and MET, as well as Osteria da Fiore and a lunch at the Aman Grand Canal.

We've got reservations already lined up in Milan for Berton, Al Pont de Ferr, Il Luogo di Aimo e Nadia, and Alice.

Much as I want to include a second visit to Le Calandre and my first visit to Osteria Franscescana, my husband and fellow travelers are not up for the treks. Another time, another trip. :)

It's always better to visit Venice during the low season, and based on your previous posts about how much you prefer cold over hot weather, I think the Venice low season fits you perfectly. Points+SNAs will assure you wonderful suites there, and maybe they would make you an upsell offer for those canal view suites. I personally never get tired of seeing Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute across the river :cool::cool:

If you like seafood as I do, you will surely enjoy Quadri, MET, as well as Osteria da Fiore. MET has a 9-course tasting menu combining traditional and contemporary dishes, which I really enjoyed.

Looks like you have a wonderful epicurean journey ahead of you. Enjoy!