Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London

Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London

Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We prefer the Halkin, so I highly recommend that if the FS or other luxury options can't beat your corporate rate at the MO. The Halkin is almost always a steal with comparable luxury IMO--and is only a 10 min walk from the MO.

Those discounting the Knightsbridge/Belgravia area--I'm laughing at you. You're all A+ in my book otherwise, but on this one, you crack me up. The area is as vibrant as it always has been, if not more so; there simply are more areas and with vibrancy...and you're less inclined towards this one.
Not to sidetrack this too much, but what room category do you book at the Halkin? My husband stayed there for business recently and, while he liked it, he said it was one of the smallest rooms he's ever had in London. I'm thinking if we stayed there together, we'd definitely need to move up at least one category, if not more.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:53 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Buster
Not to sidetrack this too much, but what room category do you book at the Halkin? My husband stayed there for business recently and, while he liked it, he said it was one of the smallest rooms he's ever had in London. I'm thinking if we stayed there together, we'd definitely need to move up at least one category, if not more.
The King rooms are on the small size, agreed. The next category up, Deluxe rooms, are quite sizable and what I often recommend for a regular room. I love the Belgravia Suites on the top floor, but the Belgravia Suites on other floors are a bit bigger (higher ceilings). The COMO Suites on the top floor are fabulous with balconies--a rarity in London.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:44 pm

Thank you!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The hotel is in the same location as it always has been.

(I took the liberty of correcting the obvious omission.)
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I loved my stays at the MO. We were upgraded to a king (they called it a mini suite IIRC) that looked over Brompton Rd and had a French balcony. We looked to the right you see Harrods, lit beautifully at night. I love the location and never experienced anything but very good service there. I cant remember the name of the restaurant but its in the rear of the property and has gorgeous views of Hyde Park.

I would stay there of the choices you have given.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA

(I took the liberty of correcting the obvious omission.)
Thank you, much appreciated. Will fix my post now.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:36 pm

Regarding comments that the hotel has not moved ... of course, the hotel has not moved, but the neighborhood has changed quite drastically in the past decade.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UrbanDweller
Regarding comments that the hotel has not moved ... of course, the hotel has not moved, but the neighborhood has changed quite drastically in the past decade.
Elaboration?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:21 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The MO has a one off Park View Jr.. Suite which is part of a larger suite (Sovereign or Monarch)? It is on the first floor and has a large terrace overlooking the park. It is a great vantage point to watch the Changing of the Guards -- you can hear the clip clopping of the horses from quite far away. The bathroom is large with claw footed tub, hardwood floors, and a separate stall shower. The bed is a four-posted king bed. It might be worth seeing if this is available.

The MO for me is in a convenient location -- Harvey Nick's, the Wagamama's underneath it (Uni days habits live on!!), the tube is right there, and Beiteddine, my favourite Lebanese restaurant is just down Sloane Street.

However, I still prefer the FS or farther east, to Covent Garden and Strand. I prefer Selfridges and I can get my fill of pretension at Fortnum and Mason. I like Jermyn Street and Savile Row. Al Hamra is about as good as Beiteddine and everywhere is walkable. But as others have stated, this is just me.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Todd429
We have corporate rates with our company at the Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, The London Edition and Sofitel St. James
To go back to the OP, yes the MO is a fine hotel but I think that not so many here have really tried the Sofitel St. James because I really like this hotel and its location. The beds are the most comfortable of any I've stayed at in London including the FS. At all of these hotels, avoid the entry level rooms. Especially at the FS where they are soooo bland or the Sofitel where they are too small. Move up to an exec room or a suite.

Regarding location though, I have over a hundred London stays in locations all over the city and suburbs and I don't think it matter a huge amount. There are cab lanes so the taxis get by quickly and there is the tube that normally works well.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: No program whatsoever
Has anyone stayed in the newly refurbished rooms yet?

Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Looks stunning.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:38 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeAman 10+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Not yet , as the renovations are incomplete . Was hoping to stay last month but was told that it will take another year to be done , including many of the park view rooms / suites .

Could hear some noise from the works from outside of Dinner when we lunched there a few weeks ago . But thoroughly enjoyed our meal , possibly our 6 th meal there . Could not see the park from Dinner either as there was some hoarding put up obstructing the view .
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:09 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Interesting there is a program currently screening called Inside the Mandarin Oriental (I think A Very British Hotel in the UK) https://www.lifestyle.com.au/tv/insi...arin-oriental/

The Concierge appears to be most arrogant and self absorbed, but the most surprising thing is just how dated the hotel appears to be with a very small and uninviting entrance.

Those photos above, however, make it look quite modern.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Not yet , as the renovations are incomplete . Was hoping to stay last month but was told that it will take another year to be done , including many of the park view rooms / suites .

Could hear some noise from the works from outside of Dinner when we lunched there a few weeks ago . But thoroughly enjoyed our meal , possibly our 6 th meal there . Could not see the park from Dinner either as there was some hoarding put up obstructing the view .
I had a similar experience. Although I found Dinner has been more consistent lately and better than earlier days.

I’m not a fan of this hotel, but I have to admit the renovations look stunning. Not much to be done about the low ceilings but the design and furnishings look great!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.