FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   What's your choice for a long weekend in Chicago? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1723960-whats-your-choice-long-weekend-chicago.html)

TMM1982 Jul 11, 2016 4:52 am

If you want a cheaper option but just as nice, consider The Talbott Hotel. Location wise, it's very very close to Park Hyatt in the North Michigan area, close to Water Tower, John Hancock, etc. Lovely charming place, much cheaper than most hotels in that area as well.

NA-Flyer Jul 12, 2016 8:56 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain (Post 26869329)
I've read that the PH is a bit past its prime and a category below Pen or Langham.

I agree. The Pen or the Langham are wonderful properties and attracting a lot of former frequents at the PH. If I have given a choice, I would opt the Langham.

Larry Siegel Jul 24, 2016 2:09 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire (Post 26654609)
I'm serious when I say Shanghai Terrace was one of the best Cantonese meals I've had in this country.

This. I spent my 60th birthday there, and had dinner at the Shanghai Terrace, the best Cantonese restaurant between the coasts.

Mickidon Aug 26, 2016 5:56 am

We spent the weekend at the Peninsula, switching it up from the usual 4S. It will likely be
our go to hotel in Chicago now, as it felt fresh and new. Got a one category upgrade to a lovely suite. Super quiet and well located, as are most of the other usual suspects. They did
a good job on the technology, which can sometimes be an irritant. The staff was lovely and
I didn't feel any of the uppity-ness mentioned upstream. In fact, there were many people in gym attire and one woman in a robe at breakfast and no eyes seemed to be rolled. We had a few glitches (error on the bill, couldn't crack the code on getting the newspaper, found the breakfast menu dull) but no deal breakers. The one caution I'd give is that
there are no killer views at this hotel, as it isn't as tall as many of the others. If that is important to you - and lake views can really be special - I'd look elsewhere. If you want more detail, here is the review I posted on TA: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Illinois.html

Leopardz Jan 13, 2018 9:33 am

Does anyone know by chance if the club lounges at the Langham or at the Ritz-Carlton Chicago serve champagne during the cocktail hour?

bhrubin Jan 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Very nice luxury stay at The Gwen (SPG Luxury Collection)

I realize that the Peninsula, Langham, and Waldorf Astoria get the most play here in the Luxury Forum, but I had a surprisingly great luxury stay in Dec at The Gwen, a Luxury Collection Hotel. My Expert Review:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...or-suites-2296

My biggest criticism would be that our junior suites had only a singe vanity rather than the expected double vanity for a luxury hotel.

Otherwise, the service at The Gwen easily was as good as it ever has been at the WA/Elysian--and the food/beverage and overall hard product was better at The Gwen IMO. (It's been too many years since I last stayed at the PH for any good comparison.) The Art Deco-inspired design is always something I love, and the wonderful bar/lounge is another thing that I adore in a luxury hotel. Lately, amazing bars and Art Deco seem to be de rigeur for the newest generation of SPG Luxury Collection hotels--and I approve wholeheartedly!

As an aside, The Gwen's air con worked beautifully...as opposed to the sometimes subpar air con/climate issues I had at the WA. The Gwen also has some views, better than the Pen and WA, I think...but not all rooms/suite at The Gwen have such views. So I wouldn't choose the hotel for the views.

Just more food for thought. I realize I get better service and experiences on average because of my SPG Plat100 status, but my husband actually was checking in before me and asked for the extended stay, and they still treated him like absolute gold without my involvement. Speaks well about The Gwen. For the price point, The Gwen may be one of the best deals in the city.

We likely will stay at The Gwen again for all of our future Chicago trips. (Though Grace's closure may make that take more time...)

GetSetJetSet Feb 28, 2018 1:19 pm

What's the call

Junior Suite @ Peninsula or Club Room @ Langham? Peninsula right?

Ericka Feb 28, 2018 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 29470019)
What's the call

Here’s our Peninsula trip report. I’m a fan! The report is very kid oriented, but hopefully the service and hard product shine through.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...a-chicago.html

19103_aa Feb 28, 2018 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 29470019)
What's the call

Not knowing your personal circumstances, the Club at Langham is special if you plan to take advantage of the food and beverage. I would choose Langham.

GetSetJetSet Mar 1, 2018 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy (Post 29471373)
Not knowing your personal circumstances, the Club at Langham is special if you plan to take advantage of the food and beverage. I would choose Langham.

I don't plan on taking advantage of the food and beverage. Will be eating meals out with friends. I decided to go with the suite at the Peninsula. Will try the Langham next trip.

HotelieForLife Nov 11, 2019 7:21 am

Any updates on Chicago hotels? What do you think is the best of the following:

Four Seasons
Ritz-Carlton
Peninsula
Park Hyatt
Waldorf Astoria
Trump
Langham

MSPeconomist Nov 14, 2019 9:18 am

What location do you want? If you need to be in the Loop near the Art Institute, there's an argument for a historic top ("Founder's") suite with a view toward the lake at the Chicago Athletic Club (Hyatt something or other brand).

IIRC there's also an excellent small boutique hotel or inn with a top restaurant in Evanston, but I don't remember the name.

RichardInSF Nov 15, 2019 4:04 am

I recently stayed a few nights at the PH Chicago and asked for an upgrade to a room with a view of the water tower. They kindly upgraded me to a suite with a massive living room that I thought was very nice. The included breakfast in the restaurant was also very good -- served off a menu, no buffet, with everything cooked to order.

For some classic Chicago-style pizza, there is Gino's just a few blocks away (and Lou Malnatti's, that I don;t like as much, just a bit farther).

priyarainelle Nov 24, 2019 9:36 am

Originally Posted by HotelieForLife (Post 31724555)
Any updates on Chicago hotels? What do you think is the best of the following:

Four Seasons
Ritz-Carlton
Peninsula
Park Hyatt
Waldorf Astoria
Trump
Langham

I have stayed in all of these and I would only consider staying at The Langham (1st choice) or the Peninsula in Chicago.

After that - Waldorf Astoria, Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt or the Trump (I don’t care for either)

ChateauMargaux Nov 10, 2020 2:41 pm

One vote for the Pen, recent stay reviewed here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/expe...xperience.html