Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What's your choice for a long weekend in Chicago?

What's your choice for a long weekend in Chicago?

Old May 20, 16, 7:11 am
  #31  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 3,317
Originally Posted by chicagocat View Post
Waldorf is under construction, they were even jack-hammering while I was getting a massage... Disruptive with crap service recovery. I love the Waldorf location, however... far better for shopping and restaurants than Trump/Langham.
The Peninsula is a classic, yes... but stuffy and rooms are small with meh views. The spa, service and dining are most redemptive.
Ritz is being renovated now and has always had killer views with larger rooms/suites. I'm looking forward to checking it out post-renovation as they are opening a club lounge, too.
The Langham is modern set supremely tranquil, Club river suite is the way to go.
Assuming you're a CHI native, what's your top 3?

I still think it's Langham, Peninsula, and Waldorf Astoria.

Couldn't agree more re: F&B, service, and spa at Peninsula. I'm serious when I say Shanghai Terrace was one of the best Cantonese meals I've had in this country.

As for views, we are in a city, so no matter where I was it all started to look the same after awhile. It's like going for views in NYC...yeah, there are a few that'll be better than the rest (i.e., getting a view of one of NY's more famous buildings), but otherwise a city is a city.

As for stuffiness, I think that comes with the territory. Anywhere housekeeping is dressed up like French maids, and where bagboys where tiny white caps, there will be that air of stuffiness
pricesquire is offline  
Old May 20, 16, 7:58 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by callmedtop View Post
I too have recently stayed at the Park Hyatt and I did enjoy my stay. They do have a policy of not upgrading to suites, strangely enough. I am a Diamond and booked a FHR rate, and was given a normal room (despite many suites available).

Quick story - probably one of my worst check-in experiences was at the PH last month (during the above mentioned stay). I inquired about a suite being available as a Diamond/FHR stay. I was just staying for the night but could have used the extra room. Didn't make a big deal out of it, but the agent was said she was able to locate a Park Suite. Then, after a few more keyboard taps, she said she had the bigger Gold Coast Suite, if I was able to wait for 15-30 minutes for it to be cleaned.

I agreed, and thanked her gratiously, and sat in the lobby for 20 minutes, until she came and found me. As she was giving me the new key, she casually informed me that my rate would be $400 higher per night. WHAT?! Can't believe she waited until this point to inform me of any upcharge, as it was clear by my question during check-in that I was looking for a complementary upgrade as part of Diamond/FHR benefits, and not more.

I did inform the manager later that night. She did offer me the Gold Coast Suite at no charge, as what happened was "against policy", but I politely declined, as I had already settled in. She did send me a hand-written note later that night, and gave me her contact information for my next stay, where I would be "given a proper upgrade."

Very strong service recovery from a poorly-trained front desk agent. I would return. I can very much agree with Valveking that the food is excellent. I greatly enjoyed both dinner and breakfast at NoMi, and the view is outstanding.
I wonder if this is common policy there, I recently had a similar experience where I turned up at just before 3pm and was told my room wasn't ready - but I could be upsold to a higher category and have it immediately. I was hung-over and it was only $40, not $400, so I took it - but was a little disappointed.

The rooms were solid and breakfast at NoMi was good, as above; though can't comment on the view - fog reduced visibility to near zero. (April 2016)
BW0807 is offline  
Old May 20, 16, 8:01 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA
Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Posts: 218
Originally Posted by chicagocat View Post
Waldorf is under construction, they were even jack-hammering while I was getting a massage... Disruptive with crap service recovery. I love the Waldorf location, however... far better for shopping and restaurants than Trump/Langham.
The Peninsula is a classic, yes... but stuffy and rooms are small with meh views. The spa, service and dining are most redemptive.
Ritz is being renovated now and has always had killer views with larger rooms/suites. I'm looking forward to checking it out post-renovation as they are opening a club lounge, too.
The Langham is modern set supremely tranquil, Club river suite is the way to go.
Thanks for this. Its nice to know about the Waldorf. Hopefully they are done by Christmas. I agree on their location and love the rooms. Personally, room size means quite a bit to me and that's where the Waldorf and Langham win. The Pen is definitely good, but again agree that the comparative rooms are smallish.
Didn't know they were doing a renov on the Ritz. With Club lounge, that definitely will be something I check out. Any idea when its set to be completed?
mumum17 is offline  
Old May 20, 16, 9:25 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Programs: Virtuoso, FS Preferred Partner, Belmond Bellini Club, Stars, Ritz Carlton, Rosewood, A & K, Starwood
Posts: 14
My current favorite hotel in Chicago is the Trump hotel. The hotel is positioned to provide incredible views from the river out to Lake Michigan. The service is wonderful, and the junior suite was perfect for our family during a recent stay. It is also a great place for a girls' weekend for shopping.

If you are looking for a great lobby atmosphere for a bar, drinks and dinner, I really love the Ritz or Peninsula. The Ritz needs updating though...plans are in the works.
TopFlightGal is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 1:00 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geneva, Dubai, Paris
Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Posts: 1,859
Are the WA and the Ritz still undergoing renovation or is either one finished yet?
Any other updates or recent experiences at Pen/Langham/PH?

Thanks
JohnRain is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 1:03 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mem
Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Posts: 840
Just spent a few days at the Park Hyatt. Stayed in an Executive Suite. Excellent stay. I love their food at Nomi.
Valveking is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 1:05 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geneva, Dubai, Paris
Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted by Valveking View Post
Just spent a few days at the Park Hyatt. Stayed in an Executive Suite. Excellent stay. I love their food at Nomi.
Very interesting, Valveking. Did the suite have a fresh feel?
I've read that the PH is a bit past its prime and a category below Pen or Langham.
JohnRain is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 4:35 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mem
Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Posts: 840
We have also stayed at the Pen. If you had to make me choose, I might choose the Pen, but the Park Hyatt always seem to be much cheaper and I have had two great stays there in recent months.
Valveking is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 8:18 pm
  #39  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,415
Originally Posted by Valveking View Post
Just spent a few days at the Park Hyatt. Stayed in an Executive Suite. Excellent stay. I love their food at Nomi.
I stayed at the PH as well over spring break last year in a Grand Exec suite (not sure if there's really any difference)... we had our kids with us and used the family plan to add a connecting room... the PH gets maligned both in the luxury and in the Hyatt forum but our stay was quite good... the hard product is probably a 4+ star standard but our service was quite good- specifically geared to our kids... special kids amenities, multiple deliveries of cookies and milk over our stay.. we were quite happy... Now, at the same price point it doesn't compare with the top luxe hotels but it definitely represents a great value in the near lux market.....

FDW
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  
Old Jul 5, 16, 10:03 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mem
Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Posts: 840
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
I stayed at the PH as well over spring break last year in a Grand Exec suite (not sure if there's really any difference)... we had our kids with us and used the family plan to add a connecting room... the PH gets maligned both in the luxury and in the Hyatt forum but our stay was quite good... the hard product is probably a 4+ star standard but our service was quite good- specifically geared to our kids... special kids amenities, multiple deliveries of cookies and milk over our stay.. we were quite happy... Now, at the same price point it doesn't compare with the top luxe hotels but it definitely represents a great value in the near lux market.....

FDW
I agree 100%. We were in the exact same room type with the connector with our kids. I am not sure why this hotel would be getting maligned in the Hyatt forum although sometimes on this site in the hotel brand forums, it seems people are more worried about getting free stuff and using their points rather than giving honest appraisals of the hotels themselves.
bhrubin likes this.
Valveking is offline  
Old Jul 6, 16, 7:06 am
  #41  
Aman Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,415
Originally Posted by Valveking View Post
I agree 100%. We were in the exact same room type with the connector with our kids. I am not sure why this hotel would be getting maligned in the Hyatt forum although sometimes on this site in the hotel brand forums, it seems people are more worried about getting free stuff and using their points rather than giving honest appraisals of the hotels themselves.
I think it's basically because of how they treat diamonds... for instance they only allow diamond suite upgrades to Grand Executive suites, of which there are only 2- and they are basically the same suite as the Executive suites so there is a perceived thought that they created this category to limit the upgrades...

I found the diamond treatment to be excellent, the service to be excellent, hard product to be ok and location to be great... consider if usually clocks in cheaper than the other options in Chicago it's a good choice (similar to how I feel about the PH DC, but I find the hard product there to be quite good)

FDW
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  
Old Jul 7, 16, 3:12 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 82
WA

Originally Posted by JohnRain View Post
Are the WA and the Ritz still undergoing renovation or is either one finished yet?
Any other updates or recent experiences at Pen/Langham/PH?

Thanks
I stayed at WA in mid-June and was unaware of any construction. I stayed mid-week in Luxury Suite on 10th floor.
I didn't see construction in lobby or restaurants--did not use spa so can't speak to that.

That being said--I would not recommend based on the amount of service bobbles we had.
Lovely room and all, but way too many mis-steps for the $$.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by AA_ORDlady; Jul 7, 16 at 3:15 pm Reason: Posted before complete
AA_ORDlady is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 9:50 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 732
Any recent experience at the Drake? We are going to a wedding there and, based on reviews, are thinking of staying at the Pen or Langham. Is staying elsewhere the way to go? We will be extending our stay, so don't mind commuting to the wedding events.
Mickidon is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 11:46 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,531
No recent experience with the Drake, but I cannot recommend highly enough the Langham, particularly a Club Room. Some of the best service I've experienced in North America, plus top-quality hard product and lounge offerings.

Waldorf is a distant second for reasons mentioned above. Great hard product, but prone to service gaffes and recovery can be hit or miss. Often a good deal on FHR, though.
19103_aa is offline  
Old Jul 8, 16, 12:15 pm
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Posts: 13,475
Originally Posted by Mickidon View Post
Any recent experience at the Drake? We are going to a wedding there and, based on reviews, are thinking of staying at the Pen or Langham. Is staying elsewhere the way to go? We will be extending our stay, so don't mind commuting to the wedding events.
I stay at the Drake several times a year and the location is good if you want access to the lakeshore and to the shopping at the north end of the MM. While a nice old property, the Drake is not in the same class as the Pen, Langham, or the WA.
jerry a. laska is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: