Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Trip report - Turks and Caicos (Parrot Cay, Amanyara) and Miami (St. Regis, Setai)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report - Turks and Caicos (Parrot Cay, Amanyara) and Miami (St. Regis, Setai)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
FYI - The development near Parrot Cay (Dellis Cay I believe) has been halted for years and is not going to be completed. Was supposed to be an MO
dellis is SW, OP said (N)E - on north caicos, perhaps Royal Reef
https://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=mn...ay&form=LMLTCC

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 3, 2015 at 8:20 am
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
What a great report. Sounds like Amanyara is an overpriced disaster. Thank you!

I need to put Parrot Cay on my list. It looks really great.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:04 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Great TR. Really appreciate hearing thoughts on wine and children, both of which are very important to me.

My experience with Amanyara has been altogether disappointing. They lost my first reservation and when I went to confirm, that room was now gone and they would only offer a much more expensive room. Then we almost went again and I asked about children and the response was "Dear LAST NAME... we have nature center." End of email. Don't know why we haven't been to Parrot Cay. I love COMO and appreciate their cuisine.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
dellis is SW, OP said (N)E (on north caicos)
Indeed. We passed Dellis Cay on our way from Providenciales to Parrot Cay. Also not a pretty sight at all.

The development on my picture was called "Royal Reef", 160 condos + a 45-suite hotel, started in 2006, abandoned in 2008.

Some information is contained here:
http://www.timespub.tc/2007/04/condos-then-and-now/
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems parrot cay adding "PLAY by COMO" childrens program (like point yamu and maalifushi)
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by kamel123

Small cove in front of our pavilion
Great Report! I love this cove^

Originally Posted by Aventine
More like itty bitty kitten prawns. That dish was awful and Amanyara should be ashamed of itself.
It´s one of the dishes you should send back straigt to the kitchen

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Those ain't prawns...those are shrimps!! Literally.
No, no! They sure call them "Baby prawns" or "hot washed prawns" or some other rubbish. Not even acceptable in a 3 star....
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Excellent report, thanks for that !!

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
- sven became zoe GM, jana move to zoe, fritz (and others) left
- new external hires include: guest relations manager, assistant guest relations manager, F&B manager, guest relations officer
Too bad so many assets have left Amanyara. Fritz Zwahlen left for Carillon Hotel&Spa in Miami Beach in July. Sven's and Jana's move to Zoe should be reason enough for me to visit the property next year or so...

I just returned from Miami Beach were I have stayed at the Setai (3rd time), the Metropolitan and 1. I still prefer the Setai, they are very hospitable and very good overall, the pool area is lovely. I quite like the Met somehow but would not return to 1 though. Let's wait and see what EAST by Swire will bring to the scene (in Brickell though). Maybe I'll write a trip summary over the weekend...
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:05 pm

It could very well be that my one datapoint (just spent a single night at the Setai) is not representative. Overall I liked the hotel (design of public areas, F&B quality, service) and enjoyed the stay, but our afternoon at the pool had a definite mobster vibe (think huge tattoos, massive gold chains, chain smoking next to the children's pool etc.). At night some drunk guest confused our room for his and wouldn't stop trying to open our door. Loud hip hop music was blasting through the door of our neighboring room every time we passed by (good soundproofing though - we couldn't hear it in our own room). I don't want to make a big issue out of it, and I'm sure by South Beach standards that is all still very mild, but I preferred the St. Regis.
I think any data point should be taken into consideration and maybe different times of year bring different guests (I've only ever been in May and November/December), so your points are perfectly valid and are worth other people realising. I too found the soundproofing good, but only when I realised that you could close the doors within your room, as otherwise I could hear people walking outside in the halls.

Regarding Amanyara, I've always had reservations about going there, as there's so many reviews online that just simply don't back-up the price and bring up similar complaints to yours. I have a list of 7 more Aman's we want to visit and this just isn't on the list with your review confirming it.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:57 pm
BLV

It could very well be that my one datapoint (just spent a single night at the Setai) is not representative. Overall I liked the hotel (design of public areas, F&B quality, service) and enjoyed the stay, but our afternoon at the pool had a definite mobster vibe (think huge tattoos, massive gold chains, chain smoking next to the children's pool etc.). At night some drunk guest confused our room for his and wouldn't stop trying to open our door. Loud hip hop music was blasting through the door of our neighboring room every time we passed by (good soundproofing though - we couldn't hear it in our own room). I don't want to make a big issue out of it, and I'm sure by South Beach standards that is all still very mild, but I preferred the St. Regis.
Your description of the pool scene is consistent with mine. My last stays were last summer. I was also not too thrilled with babies in the adult section of the pool.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:52 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Great TR--thanks so much for sharing.

Unlike others, my main take-away is that the Caribbean and Miami/South Beach resorts typically just aren't particularly impressive for the price points charged. High demand from Northeast and European high spenders wanting an easy warm weather/beach destination within a short flight radius creates a scenario where there are "luxe" properties that just don't deliver relative to comparable luxury properties elsewhere.

Cabo perhaps is the closest comparable area I can name for the Pacific Coast where proximity to SoCal creates high demand and similar price gouging relative to service/amenities--but the Cabo resorts seem MUCH nicer than all of those in the Caribbean.

Miami/Miami Beach/Bal Harbour seems to be just another high density strip of resort hotels offering decent to subpar service at astronomical rates. I stay in Feb at the StR BH, but only because I have work travel nearby. I'd never go otherwise.

I'd always thought Amanyara looked overrated/overrated relative to other Amans, and this reinforces it. If I had to go to the Caribbean, I'd always assumed Turks with Parrot Cay would be the best cost/benefit for our priorities, and this TR reinforces that, as well. Still, living on the West Coast, little has changed to make me yearn to go to either. I'd rather enjoy the more unique/dramatic Mexican Pacific coastal resorts or Hawaii (not nearly as pricey) or even further to Fiji/Tahiti. From the West Coast, getting to Tahiti/Fiji can be easier than getting to some of the Caribbean islands.

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Regarding Amanyara, I've always had reservations about going there, as there's so many reviews online that just simply don't back-up the price and bring up similar complaints to yours. I have a list of 7 more Aman's we want to visit and this just isn't on the list with your review confirming it.
I couldn't agree more. Perhaps Aman will do better with Amanera, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the Northeast/Europe high spending crowd will descend there in the same way--and with golf to draw even more. The Caribbean itself has never been known for tremendous or impressive service IMO, and I think that speaks to some of what we hear about these properties and Miami as a whole.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Sorry to hear that your amanyara stay mirrored mine (think I stayed in the same pavilion too). You should have taken the $90 one way car transfer to da conch shack to eat. We did it...TWICE...Was my first Aman stay. Crossing my fingers that upcoming trip to Amanoi will go better.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by ngfan
Too bad so many assets have left Amanyara. Fritz Zwahlen left for Carillon Hotel&Spa in Miami Beach in July. Sven's and Jana's move to Zoe should be reason enough for me to visit the property next year or so...
I very much agree with ngfan. We stayed for 5 nights two years ago, and had quite a fantastic stay, also under their "Seasons of Discovery". Jana, in particular, made sure we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Shame to hear that it has greatly gone downhill, though I'm starting to feel that's becoming the general Aman trend, given the changes at the top and a shifting of focus.

But, then again, I readily admit I'm no Aman apologist, and don't hold it/them to be the Platonic ideal of a hotel/resort stay.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: A bunch
Thanks OP for sharing! Nice review.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BLV
[kamel123's] description of the pool scene is consistent with mine. My last stays were last summer.
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
different times of year
http://www.thesetaihotel.com/spa-offers.php still sells to nonguests >
access to the...private pool and beach area. $150 per person
Mon - Thurs June 1 - Sept 30, 2015. Based upon availability.
some of the private condo rentals may also be inexpensive during summer

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 18, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.