Reload this Page >

Luxury week with family in Caribbean/Bahamas

Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K

Hi all,

Have spent the last few hours scanning through reviews but wanted to see what the latest thinking is...

Planning a week trip in April with the family (wife and 3 kids under 5 plus a nanny) so we'll likely need a villa or multi-bedroom suite. Stayed at Casa de Campo a few years ago and really enjoyed but am now seeing mixed reviews as of late. We like the "golf cart" feeling of a larger resort and basically just want to eat well amongst various outlets, relax by water (pools and ocean fine) and would prefer direct flights from ORD on AA/UA but might consider a connection for something great.

Anyone go anywhere great lately they'd recommend for this crew? Budget is $10-15k for the week.

Thanks in advance for the discussion!
Tyler
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:47 pm

Sugar Beach Resort on St Lucia fits the bill exactly - they have various sizes of Villas and Residences - e.g -

Three Bedroom Luxury Villa
Silky high thread count Egyptian cotton linens throughout. Four poster bed in the master with romantic voile draping
iPod docking station
Master bedroom features a king-sized bed
Second bedroom features two twin beds
Third bedroom features a queen bed
Complimentary internet access (either WiFi or hard wired)
Large flat screen TV & CD/DVD player
Full kitchen
Living Room
In-room safe
Signature bathroom amenities
Large bathrooms with coral stone detailing and walk-in shower
Private patio and walled garden
Infinity-edge pool
Personalized butler service
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:43 am

Sugar Beach has a few drawbacks - day trippers, many of them from cruise ships, descend on the beach which is man-made and poor by Caribbean standards. However, the setting is draw-droppingly beautiful. The hotel is set on a very steep hillside, so lots of climbing.

My own feeling is that Caneel Bay in the USVI is a place you might take a look at.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
villa .. "golf cart" .. larger resort .. eat well amongst various outlets
two threads from sep 2015 may have some ideas >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-hualalai.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ggestions.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 9, 2015 at 11:14 am
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:37 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Hard to beat Caneel, and not having a TV is really great for a young family. It really forces more QT. Thinking about the place makes me want to return!
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

My son recently returned from a trip to the Ritz Carlton in Aruba. Said it is a great resort. Don't know much more other than he had such high praise for the hotel.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Sugar Beach has a few drawbacks - day trippers, many of them from cruise ships, descend on the beach which is man-made and poor by Caribbean standards. However, the setting is draw-droppingly beautiful. The hotel is set on a very steep hillside, so lots of climbing.

To be fair Pausanias I have stayed twice and I believe you were one of the said day trippers! I have never witnessed the cruise ship day trippers as the cruise ships only call at St Lucia during high season - they then have to travel down from Castries, no doubt calling at various places such as Marigot Bay so their time at Jalousie Beach will be short. The resort does limit the access to the hotel facilities for the day trippers as they provide sun loungers etc by the boat pier at the end of the beach so in no way does it impact the enjoyment of the beach by hotel residents. Indeed the boats that anchor off shore from other hotels to dive in the Marine Park are more of a nuisance but they only come on a couple of days a week and they only stay an hour.

The resort is built on a steep rainforest setting but the golf carts come within a couple of minutes of your butler calling one. You can walk if you want the exercise though. The villas and all the residences have their own plunge pool on the terrace so if you do want to avoid the hoi polloi you can stay in your private space.

I agree that beach is not the archetypal White sand and turquoise seas that we think of as the Caribbean but this a World Heritage Site and the hotel is in one of the most gorgeous settings I've ever stayed. The website photos really don't do it justice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.