Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Seoul, Korea -- Reviews and Comments

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:55 am

Deleted.

Last edited by Tenk; May 2, 2018 at 6:34 am
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:12 am

I am disappointed about the apparent lack of service and hospitality you experienced, but don't you think the initial disappointment may have clouded your opinion about the property?

Personally I believe the design is stellar and not your typical hotel design. Truly an André Fu masterpiece. Also it is now SOP for FS to change linens into the third night of your stay, of course, if you place the card on the bed or have them update your profile they will do it regardless. FS Seoul has turndown every night.

I personally thought service at Kioku was sublime at every visit and I dined there extensively for both lunch and dinner. Of course this hotel has a history of mixed experiences but both myself and others were blown away recently by their most personal and caring service. It seems they still have off days, but admittedly you didn't have the best start into your stay.

May I ask who met with you to discuss?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:25 am

Deleted

Last edited by Tenk; May 2, 2018 at 6:34 am
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Tenk
After having a wonderful stay down south of the river at the Grand Intercontinental (I think one of the best IC I've stayed in Asia), I decided to check in to the FS out of curiosity for 4 nights as I had time left before my trip to Thailand.

What a letdown. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this may be my worst "luxury" hotel experience ever. And I'm only on my 2nd night.

Firstly, check in. As I got out of my uber with my luggage, no bellboy offered to help carry it into the hotel. Off-putting.

Entered the lobby. No greetings from anyone. One hotel employee just staring at me like, "what are you doing here?"

I go to the left to the check-in counter, the first time I ever had to do so in a FS, and try to get checked in as the hotel employee bungles through the entire thing like its her first time. Eventually, I ask for a room check-in. She disappears for a bit to the back and comes out with a young man, probably in his late 20's, to take me to my room and finish the check-in there. Nobody has yet to offer to take my bag upstairs for me. Its only one backpack, but still.

Finish the check-in in my premier suite corner room, and its one of the least helpful check-ins I ever had. Dude just asks for my name and passport and gets me to sign, before hopping out of there. Doesn't bother to explain anything about the room. At this point, I'm ready to just go back to Gangnam, where as a longtime IC ambassador, they treat me as a valued guest. Coming to FS, its like I'm hopping into a soft-opening of a boutique hotel with a fancy lobby. All the raves by local Koreans seem to be based on the hardware, which is nice, but nothing special. You can find interior design like this in any major city in the world in a decent hotel. It's service what makes a luxury hotel a 5 star experience.

The room's design is okay, but highly inconvenient. I won't go into details as others have mentioned it earlier, but it looks like they sacrificed user experience for design. First time I've ever been in a hotel that puts room slippers underneath the sink in the bathroom.

I get unpacked and settled. It looks like this hotel doesn't do turn-down service. The base internet here is complimentary, but they charge you 20,000 WON (approx $15)/day for fast internet. The sauna downstairs is 55,000KRW ($45-50), for one-time use which I found ridiculous. Facilities are nice, but charging hotel guests $50 for a bath in Seoul is highway robbery. The attendants there are also some of the most unfriendliest and least service oriented people I've met in a hotel spa.

At 7:30 PM, I go downstairs and across the lobby to access the other elevators that lead to the famed Japanese restaurant, Kyoku. The sushi here isn't awful, but certainly not upto the rest of the city's omakase such as Sushi Sunsoo, Kojima or Sushi Mai. The interior design is nice, but service was lacking compared to other omakase restaurants (Don't refill your green tea without asking, doesn't pour your sake for you).

Back to the room, as I'm getting ready to sleep, I remove the large fluffy pillows to get comfortable and lo and behold, there is brown powder and hair all over underneath. Lots of hair. It was disgusting. I immediately call housekeeping who comes and changes the sheets. I couldn't believe an FS would allow this to happen. This was ridiculous.

Apparently, they change the sheets every two days.

So anyways, here I am. Had a meeting earlier with one of the managers. She promised to make everything up and comp me on the internet and spa. Still have 3 more nights to go, ready to call it quits and just move to another hotel. This FS is a pass. Unpleasant service, cold and uncaring in addition to inconvenient room, spa, and location. I can't believe the manager had the gall to mention to me that they think their service is on par with other FS's around the world. LOL.
I'm shocked they still haven't fixed the check-in experience. First impressions are disproportionately important, and it's a shame they don't seem to care to fix this issue.

That said, there is turndown service at the hotel (along with a small treat) every night, and the spa should be complimentary if you booked into one of their suites.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Dave510
I'm shocked they still haven't fixed the check-in experience. First impressions are disproportionately important, and it's a shame they don't seem to care to fix this issue.

That said, there is turndown service at the hotel (along with a small treat) every night, and the spa should be complimentary if you booked into one of their suites.
It appears that some guests (Virtuoso/FSPP/Suites/VIP/Elite Card/Government) are naturally included in ops meetings and assigned to guest relations managers, which helps tremendously with the check-in experience (subsequently it then is exemplary). This consistency seems a bit lacking for other guests.

I really hope Tenk's stay improves as we post and he is not cutting his stay short, giving them a chance to rectify his experience for the better! Thanks for posting.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by scented
It appears that some guests (Virtuoso/FSPP/Suites/VIP/Elite Card/Government) are naturally included in ops meetings and assigned to guest relations managers, which helps tremendously with the check-in experience (subsequently it then is exemplary). This consistency seems a bit lacking for other guests.

I really hope Tenk's stay improves as we post and he is not cutting his stay short, giving them a chance to rectify his experience for the better! Thanks for posting.
Lack of consistency has been the biggest issue I've had with the hotel.

I was booked into a Suite (I believe, as the Studio Suite is listed as a suite on FS Seoul's website, but apparently does not include certain suite benefits), using FSPP. And yet the exemplary check-in experience was sorely missing.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The pool is free for all guests but the various spa hot tubs aren't. Even suite guests had to pay because they were trying to keep access exclusive to their hotel members only. Unless they changed it recently?

I think the biggest problem is the service isn't there unless you're tied into their guest relations team or you're a "somebody" and that shouldn't be. The lobby beginning scene is something I've heard over and over and experienced once myself.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
The pool is free for all guests but the various spa hot tubs aren't. Even suite guests had to pay because they were trying to keep access exclusive to their hotel members only. Unless they changed it recently?
Might have been a relatively recent change. I was able to access it free during my stay, and their site (https://www.fourseasons.com/seoul/sp.../korean_sauna/) only lists a 55000 KRW fee for non-suite guests.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Might have been a relatively recent change. I was able to access it free during my stay, and their site (https://www.fourseasons.com/seoul/sp.../korean_sauna/) only lists a 55000 KRW fee for non-suite guests.
Ha. They finally wised up to that. I always thought it should have been given as a FSPP, Elite card benefit as well.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:25 am

I was wondering... is it me or the prices have gone up quite frankly? I was browsing and could not found on several dates the usual 3rd night comp rate they used to have. Both on FS website and via FHR. Maybe it's just wrong timing... No plans really defined but clearly we want to go to Seoul in the coming months so I was just checking and was surprised to see much higher prices than let's say... two months ago.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by mrpacifist
I was wondering... is it me or the prices have gone up quite frankly? I was browsing and could not found on several dates the usual 3rd night comp rate they used to have. Both on FS website and via FHR. Maybe it's just wrong timing... No plans really defined but clearly we want to go to Seoul in the coming months so I was just checking and was surprised to see much higher prices than let's say... two months ago.
Offer rules show the 3rd night comp lasts until Dec. 31st, 2018. Were you looking at dates in 2019?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:16 am

Offer rules show the 3rd night comp lasts until Dec. 31st, 2018. Were you looking at dates in 2019?
I watched several set of dates both in 2018 and 2019. Maybe it just ran out for the dates in 2018. It is more and more potentially in 2019 anyway so hopefully this is the deal they will renew next year. Do you know by any chance if this is common please? Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Weekends usually have higher occupancy and higher rack rates than weekdays because of families and couples staycationing. Corner rooms and one bdr suites sell out quickly.

Dates in Korea

June

June will be low season for FS Seoul as it's monsoon season and pretty muggy in Seoul.

July
Korean kids vacation period and most companies will give time off during this time too.

August
One holiday on 8/15 and leftover vacationers. I think foreign tourists will be at a minimum.

September

Coming up is Korean Thanksgiving in Chuseok at the end of September.

Fall
October to mid-November is Fall foliage viewing in Korea and a very, very nice time weather wise. Could be more inbound tourists mixed with domestic staycationers. December should be generally dead except for weekends and Christmas time (another Valentine's Day in Korea).

January - Very, very cold in Seoul. Definitely a low season.

February - Korean Lunar New Year at the beginning of the month. Valentine's Day is semi major here.

March- Korean Independence Day, March 1st and cherry blossom time towards the end of the month.

April - nothing really major happening.

May - Depending how the dates fall with Buddha's birthday and Children's day. Hotel could see a lot of staycationers during this time.

I could see FS Seoul commanding top dollar in Seoul because the other luxury options are pretty abysmal. PH Seoul is an old, aging property with poor facilities and a penny pitching new GM. Conrad is borderline worthy of being here and same goes for Shilla.
op487062 likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 24, 2018 at 8:32 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:46 am

Many thanks Aventine for such a detailed approach - that's particularly helpful. Indeed Fall is what we suspected to be a highlight to discover this city. Unfortunately it's difficult for this year so we might do that in Fall 2019 or otherwise another season like spring. Indeed FS seems to be much higher than Conrad and PH on most dates though I understand your comments on hard product and luxury positioning, plus it also seems to be more central located especially for first time visitors with a potential heritage sites oriented itinerary! Thanks again.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Many thanks Aventine for such a detailed approach - that's particularly helpful. Indeed Fall is what we suspected to be a highlight to discover this city. Unfortunately it's difficult for this year so we might do that in Fall 2019 or otherwise another season like spring. Indeed FS seems to be much higher than Conrad and PH on most dates though I understand your comments on hard product and luxury positioning, plus it also seems to be more central located especially for first time visitors with a potential heritage sites oriented itinerary! Thanks again.
Try having your FSPP agent work on the offers and dates with the sales director at FS Seoul. I can only see the rates increasing as the market doesn't have competition until the rumored RC or MO comes or the Yeouido Fairmont in 2020? They were reasonable because much of 2016-17 the hotel was under siege by the candlelight vigils against former President Park.
BESVISOR likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 24, 2018 at 9:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.