The buffet spread or the sets?
Both.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lazard
Both.
It was way worse in the beginning and opening week. I think it comes from the executive chef and his mediocre ideas.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:03 pm

February 2016 Stay

Just returned from a multiple night stay at the Four Seasons Seoul. We stayed in a Studio Suite and had access to the Executive Club Lounge. As everyone has remarked, the public areas, rooms, spa/health club and restaurants are luxurious and beautiful. No expense seems to have been spared in building this brand new hotel. Our room was large and had floor to ceiling windows overlooking the mountains and city with separate shower and tub and walk-in closets. Room quirks include those annoying multiple electronic lights switches with labels so small that we couldn't read them and iPad controller to control everything (and nothing) in the room. But we were able to work around them. Housekeeping had difficulties...not enough towels or robes, no non-allergenic pillows and no turndown service on our first night. But a talk with a concierge got those issues resolved. I tried to use the FS App to request room cleaning/turndown service at Seoul but it never seemed to work (though it worked flawlessly the week before at the FS Tokyo at Marunouchi). Speaking of the concierges, they made the difference for us from having a good vacation to a great one. Friendly and helpful, the concierges took great care of us downstairs and in the lounge. Sean Cho the Chef Concierge, and Ms. Sui in the Executive Club Lounge, have done a commendable job.

We loved the large indoor swimming pool area with Jacuzzi, kids pool and dry sauna on the 9th Floor. There is a separate changing room for hotel guests but curiously, you were asked to pay for amenities like toothbrushes or shaving goods that were complimentary in the rooms. The gym is huge, due in part to the fact that it is part of a separate health club facility operated by the Hotel. As a result, while hotel guests can use the gym, you have to pay US$45 pp to access the large Korean-style baths and steam room on the 10th floor. If you have spa treatments, the baths are complimentary.

This separate but not quite equal treatment for hotel guests also applies to at least one food and beverage outlet. Apparently, cocktails served in speakeasy bars are big in Seoul. So the FS Seoul has created its own, Charles H. It's downstairs in the basement level without any signage. There are no reservations, even for hotel guests. Most times, you'll have to wait for seating. For the most part, a concierge was able to secure us a table without any wait. But the one time that we tried to get seated without a concierge, we were told there was a 30 minute wait. When we were seated 15 minutes later, there were at least three empty tables and a couple of bar stools. Why the wait? We figured it was to make the place "more exclusive." Whatever the case, it left us with a bad impression...

We didn't have the opportunity to dine in any of the dining facilities except the Executive Club Lounge, where the buffet spreads for breakfast, tea and supper were varied and ample. A better variety of foods at each meal, especially Korean foods, would have been appreciated since some of the dishes did not change during our multiple night stay. Otherwise, the food was well-prepared and presented. A wide variety of alcoholic beverages were served during tea and supper. After buffet hours, cookies and coffee/tea was available. Seating was ample with great views on the 28th floor. There's even a conference room that can be reserved by guests. And if you get access to the Club, you also receive complimentary pressing. We used this service that worked perfectly. No ironing on this trip!

We heard that the dining rooms here are beautifully decorated. We saw the Italian restaurant on the second floor and the buffet restaurant on the basement level. Both were huge. Buffet prices seemed high, W75,000 pp for lunch and W100,000 pp for dinner.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the FS Seoul because of the facilities and the concierges. We expect that service in some areas, including housekeeping, should improve over time to come up to FS standards. Addressing guests by name and proactive and consistent service are things that this team will achieve because, from what we experienced, they are all striving for that.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hekili98
Housekeeping had difficulties...not enough towels or robes, no non-allergenic pillows and no turndown service on our first night. But a talk with a concierge got those issues resolved. Speaking of the concierges, they made the difference for us from having a good vacation to a great one. Friendly and helpful, the concierges took great care of us downstairs and in the lounge. Sean Cho the Chef Concierge, and Ms. Sui in the Executive Club Lounge, have done a commendable job.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the FS Seoul because of the facilities and the concierges. We expect that service in some areas, including housekeeping, should improve over time to come up to FS standards. Addressing guests by name and proactive and consistent service are things that this team will achieve because, from what we experienced, they are all striving for that.
Great trip report. Thanks for sharing.
Seems housekeeping still has some ways to go even this long from opening.

I'm shocked to hear they charge for toiletries in the changing rooms. A hotel of this caliber shouldn't be doing that. Even a place like GH ICN gives a toothbrush to guests using the fitness changing room.

Charles H is one of Seoul's most popular bars since it's in the newest and most luxurious hotel. A very nicely done outlet.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by hekili98
Just returned from a multiple night stay at the Four Seasons Seoul. We stayed in a Studio Suite and had access to the Executive Club Lounge.
Did you have to ask them for the club lounge access or was this something they allow for all studio suites?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:19 am

Great resource to read through this thread, particularly your regular updates Aventine.

We are making a trip to Seoul (first time visitors) in November and will be staying here. Hopefully they continue to iron out the issues with service etc.

Quick question regarding transport from ICN: would taking the AREX to Gongdeok station and then taking a taxi be the best option? I understand that one can change to the Subway Line 5, but we will be having 2 large suitcases and imagine that might prove difficult on a regular subway car?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:43 pm

The studio suites do not provide executive lounge access. However, at the time of our visit, the hotel was offering free buffet breakfast in the main restaurant. We traded that breakfast for executive lounge access. Regarding transport to ICN, we took a cab. With our luggage, it was much easier than taking the subway.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:39 am

Virtuoso travel agent recommendation

Could someone recommend a Virtuoso travel agent that might work with me online? I'm based in Hong Kong and am trying to book nights with virtuoso benefits at the Four Seasons Seoul. PM please

Many Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:08 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cranlemon
Could someone recommend a Virtuoso travel agent that might work with me online? I'm based in Hong Kong and am trying to book nights with virtuoso benefits at the Four Seasons Seoul. PM please

Many Thanks
There is a thread that lists the Virtuoso agents active on this forum, it can be found at

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

I suggest you pick a few and then look at their posts in this forum to get an idea if they sound good for you.

Note that in most cases, the agent you choose no longer has to be physically near you or even in the same country as what you need can be done via email or calling via a service such as Skype.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:10 am

Thanks for the updates Aventine. I have a trip booked in mid-August, are housekeeping issues still a problem I am a bit OCD about room cleanliness.

Also, I booked a studio suite for my trip. Anybody have any room number recommendations?

I prefer having breakfast out of the hotel in order to see more and experience more, but in my last trip to Seoul around 2nd Oct 2015 I was in the Conrad and having not found any suitable place for breakfast around the hotel I decided to go for breakfast at the hotel, would that be the case at FS? Does anyone have any recommendations for any good places close by as well? (not an asian breakfast kind of guy as well).

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Compared to PH

How would you compare the FS to the Park Hyatt Seoul right now? Outside of location as that part depends on what you are doing.

I have a week or more at the PH and considering moving to the FS for a few nights to give it a try.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
At the suggestion of certain FSPP agent who is a Flyertalker I am sharing some feedback Mrs. KosherKimchee had emailed after a stay at the FS Seoul this month.

Email 1:
Am here in Seoul. You should know that while rooms are beautiful, they are still brushing up on their service. A lot of employees hovering and eager to share their biz cards but can't seem to get basics down. Case in point--I've been gone since 10 and it's now 4 PM. My room HAS NOT BEEN CLEANED. I called downstairs. They sure are apologetic and yet, 15min later...no sign of maid.

Email 2:
Additional FYI--I have a friend staying here as well. She booked through her Virtuoso travel agent separately (from me). HER room hadn't been cleaned until she called them (again, after 4 PM) for 2 DAYS IN A ROW!! How is this possible at a 4S?

Last night, after they cleaned (I called again downstairs), their Asst Dir of Rooms came up to apologize. When I returned from dinner, they had taken the time to leave me a note and a box of macaroons BUT THEY SKIPPED TURN DOWN SERVICE. So, no new bath towels or extra water, etc. I didn't even bother calling again. What's the point?

Their buffet is only passable too. Among other things, food is left out too long. That's a different feedback for any of your other clients who count on good breakfast options daily. Let me know if you want more details. Happy to provide.

As I said, rooms are beautiful and a lot of staff around. They just seem to be scrambling and don't know beyond their very small roles (i.e., I asked where the nearest ATM was and they pointed me to a bank across the street. Super helpful except....uh, they have an ATM on their basement level. Not any of the employees I had asked knew that I figured it out myself when I saw it in passing on my 2nd day here.)

Email 3:
1) they have a Kids Club that they didn't tell
us about (my friend was also traveling with her 6 YO daughter.). In fact, it was only after both of us complained about housekeeping issues and also inquired about babysitting at short notice, did they take us up there. Apparently, it's NOT open to all guests. It's "only for local guests who booked a certain type of tour pkg". Ridiculous. So I reserved a suite and flew 6k miles but I can't use the kids club? (side note: after all the service gaffes they allowed by wife and her friend to use kids club on last day of weeklong stay)

2) They have a House car (like the 4S in London). They never told us and we found out by accident. I asked if it was available to take me (on last day) to a palace (10 min) away. They said car is "only for emergencies-what constitutes an emergency? Hospital?--but they'd allow me to take it just that AM."
Uh, thanks?

3) The food, as I mentioned, is just Ok. Not great. The beef (ordered off menu, not buffet) was served lukewarm. The rice was hard (indication that it was either left out too long or it's old). The coffee takes almost 15min to receive. And this part may just be me but the leather settees that constitute as booths--it's stained all over. Really yucky to look at as you are eating. I tried to initially wipe off with my napkin thinking it was dirt that was missed. Ditto for the cloth placemats at their Maru restaurant. Imagine waiting for your food (32,000 won hamburger) and they set your place setting and the 1st thing you see is a placemat that has stains on it. To me, it was kind of gross.

4) lastly, we told Esther (hotel manager) this, but my friend (other Virtuoso guest) is (music industry celebrity, name omitted here). She was getting interviewed by the largest circulated newspaper there. She called downstairs and told them this and asked if they could borrow a small floral arrangement or something similar in the room (she reserved a suite/corner room) as the paper wanted to take photos. They'd mention the hotel (of course). The concierge came back with a price of 110k won for the floral arrangement even though the piece was awesome PR for the property. Just bad business, no one was looking for a freebie -- just take some flowers from somewhere in hotel and put in front of photographer for 30 minutes.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:33 am

Really appreciate the review and it seems they still have a lot of work to do. I'm sure they'll get it right over time. The attitude of most staff seems to be good and positive, which is a crucial foundation to build on and not entirely normal in Seoul. I vividly remember many problems over at Park Hyatt with a certain "Gangnam" attitude of some team members...

Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
4) lastly, we told Esther (hotel manager) this, but my friend (other Virtuoso guest) is (music industry celebrity, name omitted here). She was getting interviewed by the largest circulated newspaper there. She called downstairs and told them this and asked if they could borrow a small floral arrangement or something similar in the room (she reserved a suite/corner room) as the paper wanted to take photos. They'd mention the hotel (of course). The concierge came back with a price of 110k won for the floral arrangement even though the piece was awesome PR for the property. Just bad business, no one was looking for a freebie -- just take some flowers from somewhere in hotel and put in front of photographer for 30 minutes.
I would only deal with the GM in such a situation and let her/him take care of everything. Hotel manager is a good starting point, but by calling down many employees would not be empowered to make such a call, despite FS being better in this regard. It is disappointing and I would have expected the Concierge to have better judgement but it seems they are still learning. Also language barrier could still be an issue in those early days, so they could potentially not fully understand what you want from them.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by scented
Also language barrier could still be an issue in those early days, so they could potentially not fully understand what you want from them.
My wife is fluent in Korean, there was no communication barrier. Probably should've pointed that out in my post.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

even if celebrity was not 'spending' during this stay, kind of bizarre for property to basically ignore them. there is a lot more to 'valuable guests' than just what they themselves spend during that one particular stay.

as scented noted, there is a reason many here only deal with management level.

also says a lot about virtuoso agent of celebrity.. if celebrity's staff/etc not involved.

fourseasons.com/seoul/the_club/ is kids club part of members club?
http://fourseasons.com/seoul/service...xecutive_club/ for club rooms & suites
http://fourseasons.com/seoul/service...nities/family/ doesnt mention kids club
(do i recall FS seoul advertising a special opening offer involving access to members club?)

some properties have house cars for hire, VIPs, certain rooms ; but do not use them as 'courtesy cars'

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 20, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.