Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Tour of India: Thoughts on these hotels?

Luxury Tour of India: Thoughts on these hotels?

Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:52 pm

If anyone wants to understand the difference between an Indian and African safari, then look no further than the scenes whilst I took the above pictures

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqadjjlus0..._1839.mov?dl=0
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
If anyone wants to understand the difference between an Indian and African safari, then look no further than the scenes whilst I took the above pictures
I don't get it? It's just a short clip of a huge number of people waiting to see an animal. I guess the only difference with Africa is there are 10 times as many people in the groups in India?

Great tiger pics though!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:40 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't get it? It's just a short clip of a huge number of people waiting to see an animal. I guess the only difference with Africa is there are 10 times as many people in the groups in India?

Great tiger pics though!
Basically, it's a smaller space with more people and less freedom to move around the regions (since you're zoned in to where you can move to)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by stimpy

Great tiger pics though!
Yes, sorry - that may help. Basically, in Africa you're likely on private land and will never see anyone, here you're only allowed on the roads and heavily restricted in what you can do, so you can end up with hundreds of people shouting and screaming in order to try and push their vehicle as close to the action as possible.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes, sorry - that may help. Basically, in Africa you're likely on private land and will never see anyone...
Yes, but not just private lands. There are probably several hundred national parks throughout Africa where you are also not bothered at all when driving around in the bush or dirt roads. I sometimes drive myself around Queen Elizabeth park (western Uganda) and see plenty of animals. Never a scene like what your video showed.

Not to take this off topic. Back to the luxury hotels please!
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:20 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqadjjlus0..._1839.mov?dl=0
This is typical of Ranthambhore, which is why I prefer Madhya Pradesh!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:14 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
This is typical of Ranthambhore, which is why I prefer Madhya Pradesh!
Yep! Ranthambore is the worst, because it's the most convenient park (to the Golden Triangle.) Bandavgarh is among the best places to see Tigers without the crowds (and Taj's Mahua Koti the lodge of choice); however, with the filming of the latest "Dynasties" episode with David Attenborough, I'm assuming things will start getting crowded there, too - though still not as insanely packed as Ranthambore or Corbett. Getting permits at Bandavgarh will be the big issue.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the point is no private luxury safaris on 'private' safari land in india, nor for that matter any lodges inside parks in india

presumably a complicated history with no land 'sales' in india comparable to africa

have wondered if perhaps tigers are different from other animals vs lodges

and not same wildlife in india besides tigers which as noted are few

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 7, 2019 at 9:22 am
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the point is no private luxury safaris on 'private' safari land in india, nor for that matter any lodges inside parks in india<br /><br />presumably a complicated history with no land 'sales' in india comparable to africa
Plus there aren't that many tigers in the reserves and they keep track of them on an individual basis. Just about the only animal treated that way in Africa are the rhinos.

We had two half-day safaris. After grumbling about the traffic (especially the 20-40 seat trucks), on the second trip, the driver took us to a zone where trucks were not allowed and it was better.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Feb 4, 2019 at 11:39 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:16 am

Some initial thoughts from our trip.
  • In most locations we went for lunch/dinner and a look around the competition. This gave me the ability to have 2 regrets: not staying in the recently refurbished Oberoi in New Delhi, as it is absolutely stunning, and picking Oberoi Rajvilas over Rambagh Palace in Jaipur.
  • I would pick Oberoi Udaivilas over Taj Lake Palace. Although I can definitely see the appeal of Lake Palace and it can definitely qualify for the definition of unique, it's too claustrophobic and has that Taj design that you either hate or you were born prior to 1920.
  • The Lodhi feels very dated since I was here in 2015. They have added a new Bakery, which I imagine counts for 90% of their revenue as it was 10x more than in England. It was not enough to stop me.
  • It is also the first hotel I may have regretted getting upgraded. We were put into a Lodhi Premier Suite, but I would have preferred the Premier Room. The layout was remarkably stupid, with the corridors taking up at least 99% of the available space and the other 1% for the open planned toilet next to the bed.
  • The new Oberoi in New Delhi is absolutely beautiful. I know I already said it, but it really is.
  • Having been to India before and having such fond memories of the amazing service at Aman-i-Khas, particularly from the butler, I was coming back expecting more of the same. We had to get past Umaid Bhawan Palace and Jawai Leopard Camp before a similar service level kicked in at Oberoi Udaivilas. Oberoi offered absolutely fantastic service, with the exception of Agra where they performed a complete comedy of errors, but had at least 8 different managers come and apologise for it all and wipe the bill without us saying anything.
  • Umaid has a great setting, but nothing else impressed me about it. Tired rooms, freezing spa, ok food. I enjoyed it, it's clearly the best option in the area, but I don't think I'd go back. They asked for feedback at the end, we gave it, and then they went and got the managers from each department we had feedback from to tell them again, so they can all probably be shot.
  • Jawai is really not a luxury camp. I actually feel it was disgraceful for them to have tented accommodation without proper heating in an area that dropped to 2C. They have portable radiators, but their heat output was so weak that I could only feel any heat if I was physically touching it. We ended up sleeping in our clothes. Still, we did see a male and female leopard fighting, so losing a few fingers through frostbite was worth it.
  • That amazing butler I had in 2015 at Aman-i-Khas...he was still there and still just as good as before. It’s genuinely wonderful to revisit somewhere and see if it wowed because it was new and I was an inexperienced traveller or because it genuinely is amazing - Aman-i-Khas is the latter. I really loved our stay there, not least of which for seeing tigers on the first drive, and on the final night having our butler running towards me to tell me to jump in a jeep as a tiger was right outside the camp. She came right up to the vehicle and I resisted the urge to pet her. This was a welcome few days of relaxation in a rather hectic schedule.
  • Such wonderful memories of the service at Oberoi Rajvilas. The hotel feels like an impoverished Amanjena, but the service, particularly from the GM, was absolutely wonderful.
  • Indian Accent has taught me once and for all that I just don't like Indian food. Good job every hotel has the Western menu
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:39 am

Some initial thoughts from our trip.
  • In most locations we went for lunch/dinner and a look around the competition. This gave me the ability to have 2 regrets: not staying in the recently refurbished Oberoi in New Delhi, as it is absolutely stunning, and picking Oberoi Rajvilas over Rambagh Palace in Jaipur.
  • I would pick Oberoi Udaivilas over Taj Lake Palace. Although I can definitely see the appeal of Lake Palace and it can definitely qualify for the definition of unique, it's too claustrophobic and has that Taj design that you either hate or you were born prior to 1920.
  • The Lodhi feels very dated since I was here in 2015. They have added a new Bakery, which I imagine counts for 90% of their revenue as it was 10x more than in England. It was not enough to stop me.
  • It is also the first hotel I may have regretted getting upgraded. We were put into a Lodhi Premier Suite, but I would have preferred the Premier Room. The layout was remarkably stupid, with the corridors taking up at least 99% of the available space and the other 1% for the open planned toilet next to the bed.
  • The new Oberoi in New Delhi is absolutely beautiful. I know I already said it, but it really is.
  • Having been to India before and having such fond memories of the amazing service at Aman-i-Khas, particularly from the butler, I was coming back expecting more of the same. We had to get past Umaid Bhawan Palace and Jawai Leopard Camp before a similar service level kicked in at Oberoi Udaivilas. Oberoi offered absolutely fantastic service, with the exception of Agra where they performed a complete comedy of errors, but had at least 8 different managers come and apologise for it all and wipe the bill without us saying anything.
  • Umaid has a great setting, but nothing else impressed me about it. Tired rooms, freezing spa, ok food. I enjoyed it, it's clearly the best option in the area, but I don't think I'd go back. They asked for feedback at the end, we gave it, and then they went and got the managers from each department we had feedback from to tell them again, so they can all probably be shot.
  • Jawai is really not a luxury camp. I actually feel it was disgraceful for them to have tented accommodation without proper heating in an area that dropped to 2C. They have portable radiators, but their heat output was so weak that I could only feel any heat if I was physically touching it. We ended up sleeping in our clothes. Still, we did see a male and female leopard fighting, so losing a few fingers through frostbite was worth it.
  • That amazing butler I had in 2015 at Aman-i-Khas...he was still there and still just as good as before. It’s genuinely wonderful to revisit somewhere and see if it wowed because it was new and I was an inexperienced traveller or because it genuinely is amazing - Aman-i-Khas is the latter. I really loved our stay there, not least of which for seeing tigers on the first drive, and on the final night having our butler running towards me to tell me to jump in a jeep as a tiger was right outside the camp. She came right up to the vehicle and I resisted the urge to pet her. This was a welcome few days of relaxation in a rather hectic schedule.
  • Such wonderful memories of the service at Oberoi Rajvilas. The hotel feels like an impoverished Amanjena, but the service, particularly from the GM, was absolutely wonderful.
  • Indian Accent has taught me once and for all that I just don't like Indian food. Good job every hotel has the Western menu
any specific details why you would of picked Rambagh Palace over Oberoi Rajvilas?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:00 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
The photos on the Oberoi Delhi website where some rooms have that vivid blue feature wall really freak me out.

Thanks for the summary - look forward to some more details when you get around to full reviews.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:21 pm

The photos from MacMyDay are absolutely stunning. And, as always I am looking forward to the trip reports!
MacMyDay likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by atojbk
any specific details why you would of picked Rambagh Palace over Oberoi Rajvilas?
  • Rajvilas rooms are pretty boring and is most likely where you will be. The next category up was a tent that we declined (it is exactly the same tent in all accommodation Oberoi Vanyavilas, Ranthambhore) and the one after is a suite. Of note, both Oberoi and Taj in Udaipur and Jaipur have the most insane price increases in room categories I've ever seen. I have got more and more used to paying for suites, as they do make a big difference to the trip, however, there are definitely limits. A room in Oberoi Udaivilas will set you back during peak (Jan > March) around £700/n; a suite, which is the next room category up, is nearly £7,000/n. There are only 4 suites and 1 penthouse, but the suite is only around twice the size of a room, so it's not exactly screaming bargain. I think I'd pick a return trip to Laucala or North Island over a room that's around 100sqm.
  • Rambagh Palace rooms are my style, but I could live with them.
  • There's nowhere really to just hang around. I feel you're either in your room or in the dining area. Even by the pool isn't relaxing, as you have some vendors trying to sell their paintings right next to it. Hardly relaxing. The dining area is enclosed and the actual property is quite insulated in a single, small area. It did not help that there were 2 large groups staying that each morning would get onto their buses aptly signalled "TOURISTS" and head off on their trips. Rambagh Palace has such beautiful grounds, spread out over a large area and offering far better facilities.
  • Much better spa facilities
  • More dining options
  • Feels classy as hell
Originally Posted by LinLant
The photos from MacMyDay are absolutely stunning. And, as always I am looking forward to the trip reports!
Thank you! I'm not sure which properties I'll write-up on. Any requests?
mkm4 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:43 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
@MacMyDay - Who was your butler at Aman-i-Khas? We had Satish, and he's absolutely wonderful (long time Aman too I believe by now) and also request him for everyone!

Glad to hear about new Oberoi - even with its very dated (but well maintained) rooms earlier, I was seriously impressed by the hotel so good to know the refurbish has really kicked it up a notch.
Lodhi has indeed aged badly following it's departure from Aman.

Thanks for the wonderful reviews/photos by the way!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.