Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Tour of India: Thoughts on these hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Tour of India: Thoughts on these hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:41 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
The best lodge in Bandhavgarh is Mahua Koti.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:41 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I have stayed in all the Taj safari camps in Madhya Pradesh and the best by far is Banjaar Tola in Kanha National Park.

I was not overly taken with Samode, which is weirdly designed and less professional IMHO.
Thanks - agree Samode looks really quirky online. Seems better value though - all safari activities included, they actually serve alcohol, etc.

Banjaar Tola is just that little bit more tricky to fit into our itinerary - even more out of the way than Samode/Mahua Kothi.

Did Taj and &Beyond drop their relationship - I thought it started as a kind of joint venture? And didn't one of the Taj lodges used to be a R&C too?

What was your experience like at Mahua Kothi?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:57 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by sydakllon
Did Taj and &Beyond drop their relationship - I thought it started as a kind of joint venture? And didn't one of the Taj lodges used to be a R&C too?
The partnership was nothing more than andBeyond playing an advisory role. For instance, in the early days many of the Taj guides were sent to andBeyond properties (such as in Phinda) to get trained by professional guides.

There really wasn't a financial component to the partnership, from what I've been told.

Cross-marketing benefits were also meaningful, of course. Not sure why the partnership is not as widely promoted nowadays, although AndBeyond still touts their relationship with Taj on their own websites.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:42 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
The partnership was nothing more than andBeyond playing an advisory role. For instance, in the early days many of the Taj guides were sent to andBeyond properties (such as in Phinda) to get trained by professional guides.

There really wasn't a financial component to the partnership, from what I've been told.

Cross-marketing benefits were also meaningful, of course. Not sure why the partnership is not as widely promoted nowadays, although AndBeyond still touts their relationship with Taj on their own websites.
AndBeyond operates as a travel agent/DMC as well as a lodge operator, hence the promotions on AndBeyond.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by sydakllon
Thanks - agree Samode looks really quirky online. Seems better value though - all safari activities included, they actually serve alcohol, etc.

Banjaar Tola is just that little bit more tricky to fit into our itinerary - even more out of the way than Samode/Mahua Kothi.

What was your experience like at Mahua Kothi?
Mahua Kothi was fine - quite comfortable cottages, I just preferred Banjaar Tola!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
We just finished a 5-night stay at the two RAAS properties (three in Devigarh and two in Jodhpur). We were blown away by Devigarh. Decor, food, and service were top-notch at both. Devigarh is certainly the more dramatic of the two properties and oftentimes it seems as if one has the whole palace to oneself. Do be sure to stay in the old palace instead of the garden suites. Exploring the palace and enjoying the views was for us much more enjoyable than Udaipur itself.

We loved our Aravalli Suite at Devigarh, but were slightly disappointed by the Heritage Suite at Jodhpur for its lack of natural light (although the service in the hotel is still fabulous). I wouldn't categorize the Heritage Suite as luxury, but it was in the old haveli part of the hotel and had lots of character. BTW, the Stay 5 Pay for 4 special at the RAAS properties is an attractive deal (includes free dinners at each, a bottle of wine at each, free massages at each, a discount on other f&b, and transfers between the two hotels if needed). RAAS will be opening a third property next year near Kangra and is in the final stages of acquiring a couple of more properties we were told.

We also spent a couple of days in Ahmedabad mainly to see buildings by Le Corbusier, Louis Kahn, and Bv Doshi (the winner of this year's Pritzker Prize). We stayed at House of MG, which was charming, but not a consideration for this forum. In Mumbai we stayed at the Tower wing of the Taj. We weren't impressed with the design, style or workmanship of our suite, but one can't complain about the views. It seemed to us that the Taj was best located for a first-time visitor to Mumbai, but we wouldn't stay there next time.
SojournsOf and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I have now booked much of my upcoming India trip. Includes the 6 night package at the two Amans (Aman-i-khas, Amanbagh), two nights at the Taj in Varansasi, and two nights at the Amarvillass in Agra. Haven't picked a Delhi hotel yet since there are other plans that need to be resolved first. This will be a fairly slow-paced trip for once, which forced me to skip other very interesting sounding places, like Udai[pur.

Thanks to Chinmoy Lad for finding a car and driver that will be with us for 8 days, at a rate way, way lower than offered by the hotels.
I'm considering booking Taj Falaknuma and saw you went there. Did you enjoy the hotel? Would you recommend it? Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Taj Aravali Resort & Spa, Udaipur

Here's one for the list...

https://taj.tajhotels.com/en-in/taj-...t-spa-udaipur/

Taj opens Taj Aravali Resort & Spa, Udaipur ? Tourism Breaking News

Taj has opened its second hotel in Udaipur – Taj Aravali Resort & Spa. Nestled in the foothills of the picturesque Aravali mountain range, the resort is spread across 27 acres of lush landscaped gardens. Puneet Chhatwal, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, The Indian Hotels Company Limited (IHCL), said, “Taj has been instrumental in developing India’s tourism potential in Rajasthan and putting the state on the global map with the iconic Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur, since 1970. With the opening of Taj Aravali Resort & Spa, we are enhancing our offering for the global traveller and reinforcing our commitment to Udaipur – the Venice of the East.”
The resort has 92 luxurious rooms, suites and tents with panoramic views of the Aravalis. The design ethos is contemporary with a mix of traditional Rajasthani influences and furnishings inspired by Mewar’s world-class equestrian heritage. The hotel is conveniently located an hour away from the airport.
Anand Nair, General Manager, Taj Aravali Resort & Spa, Udaipur, said, “Taj Aravali Resort & Spa is ideally located to enjoy nature while also staying connected to the pulse of Udaipur’s vibrant character. We look forward to welcoming guests to experience Taj’s legendary service.”
Guests have a choice of distinctive culinary options which include an all-day diner – Tiri; a specialty vegetarian restaurant – Javitri; an alfresco grill – Ridgeview and a bar – Odeypore Lounge.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:44 pm

After a long, long time putting this itinerary together (with thanks to the FT community), here's where we're going in a few weeks. My second time in India; first without my dad, so he can't complain about being poisoned again.

Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai
Umaid Bhawan Palace
Sujan Jawai
Oberoi Udaivilas
Oberoi Rajvilas
Aman-i-Khas
Oberoi Amarvilas
The Lodhi
Nadesar Palace
Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai
vuittonsofstyle, mkm4 and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
After a long, long time putting this itinerary together (with thanks to the FT community), here's where we're going in a few weeks. My second time in India; first without my dad, so he can't complain about being poisoned again.

Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai
Umaid Bhawan Palace
Sujan Jawai
Oberoi Udaivilas
Oberoi Rajvilas
Aman-i-Khas
Oberoi Amarvilas
The Lodhi
Nadesar Palace
Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai
wow, quite a trip. Make sure to do the fort tour at Aman-i-khas after an afternoon safari!
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay

Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai
Umaid Bhawan Palace
Sujan Jawai
Oberoi Udaivilas
Oberoi Rajvilas
Aman-i-Khas
Oberoi Amarvilas
The Lodhi
Nadesar Palace
Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai
Looking forward to the blog posts. Always a treat! Please comment on air pollution.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LinLant

Looking forward to the blog posts. Always a treat! Please comment on air pollution.
The air pollution is again quite bad, more so around say the Lodhi (due to being in Delhi) than some other of the hotels mentioned on the list.
LinLant likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Kimchi278
I'm considering booking Taj Falaknuma and saw you went there. Did you enjoy the hotel? Would you recommend it? Thanks!
I would definitely recommend it - a truly unique palace hotel, built high on rocks overlooking Hyderabad. Equally, Hyderabad is a very different city - home to the mystical Sufis and the best place in India to buy bangles and pearls!
scented and BOStonTravels like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:09 am

I thought it would be useful to add pictures to this thread, so I will keep updating this single post with all the pictures from my tour as I go through it.

Umaid Bhawan Palace

Sujan Jawai

Oberoi Udaivilas

Oberoi Rajvilas
/
Aman-i-Khas

Oberoi Amarvilas
(I was had less than 30 minutes to actually photograph anything, as it was such a hectic visit)

The Lodhi

Nadesar Palace

Last edited by MacMyDay; Feb 9, 2019 at 9:04 pm
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:42 am

A tiger! They do actually exist! First drive as well. I pre-paid for 5 drives, but am quitting whilst I'm ahead and only going out on one more. The free time will be spent gloating.

Show Printable Version
Email this Page

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.