Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Tour of India: Thoughts on these hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Tour of India: Thoughts on these hotels?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 5:31 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by sydakllon
Is Amanbagh really going downhill that it would be wise to consider skipping? Seems like more negative sentiment than positive lately.
No, it's still worth doing.

People will have less than ideal experiences from time to time, it happens. Even I had a relatively subpar experience there for an Aman, albeit none of the same concerns as per @Jermyn's review (infact I though the F&B was by far the weakest out of all my stays thusfar in India), but have heard enough from guests that have had excellent stays since.

Agree completely that Oberoi Delhi is worth staying at, by far, over any other hotel in the city.
Lodhi has gone downhill very, very badly.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:27 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Have a question not super focused on hotels, but does anyone have a recommendation for a local agency, particularly in Jaipur? I need a few longer road transfers - particularly Amanbagh to Jodhpur (yes I know this will be horrifically long, we'll stop in Pushkar). I can't rework the dates due to needing to be at Amanbagh for a special date. Amanbagh quoted me US$1100+15.5% which I think is a complete joke.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:49 am

Have a question not super focused on hotels, but does anyone have a recommendation for a local agency, particularly in Jaipur? I need a few longer road transfers - particularly Amanbagh to Jodhpur (yes I know this will be horrifically long, we'll stop in Pushkar). I can't rework the dates due to needing to be at Amanbagh for a special date. Amanbagh quoted me US$1100+15.5% which I think is a complete joke.
Wow, the Aman rate has skyrocketed! It may be worth asking your Jodhpur hotel (hopefully Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace) to quote. I have not had good experiences with local road transfers, whereas hotel drivers do, at least, have to pass their diriving tests in person (many drivers in India get a friend to take their test for them!).
Revolution, SojournsOf and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
All: Let my throw out my tentative itinerary for thoughts. And, of course, I have questions.

Arrive Mumbai 18Jan
18-20Jan (2nts): Taj Mahal Palace
Flight to Udaipur 20Jan
20-23Jan (3 nts): Oberoi Udaivilas
Car hire w/driver or train to Jaipur 23Jan
23-26Jan (3nts): Rambagh Palace
Car hire w/driver to Agra
26-28Jan (2 nts.): Oberoi Amarvilas
Car hire w/driver to New Delhi
28-30Jan (2 nts.): The Oberoi, New Delhi
Depart New Delhi 30Jan (0400...ugh!)

1. With seven nights already at Oberoi properties, their "luxury services" office offered a nice deal ("Oberoi Exotic Vacations Offer") with discounted rates and some amenities that weren't included with my booking rates (though no upgrade offers ). Of course, they noted I was not booked into the Oberoi Rajvilas in Jaipur and suggested that if I were to book in there, they would sweeten the deal more. I'm not really on a budget (beyond sticking to nice rooms rather than suites, which are crazy, especially when the 28% tax is added), but how much nicer is the Rambagh Palace vs Rajvilas? I do enjoy poking around in and about the cities and towns I visit, but I also like to take advantage of nice hotel amenities (gounds, spa, possibly meals though I'm exacting about eating quality local food). This may be an impossible question, but this is also my first India trip, so I'm trying optimize the experience.
2. Of the airlines that fly BOM-UDR, only Air India offers a J cabin. The other airlines I see that fly the route nonstop (SpiceJet and IndiGo) are both LCC. Should I spring for AI? Just how bad is it, in general, flying domestic from BOM and is there likely to be a big difference in service as between AI and the LCCs?
3. I understand it may be best to arrange auto transport with local hotels. But I would love to sample rail travel in India if the level of service is adequate--meaning comfortable class of service, with decent meal/beverage service and restrooms that aren't disgusting. The trip between Udaipur and Jaipur is going to be my longest ground segment (6.5 hours!). Should I take the rail adventure or play it safe? I'm traveling solo and customarily light (one roll aboard, one stuffed shoulder bag), if that makes a difference.
4. Based on guidance in this thread, I'm probably staying an "extra" night at most of my stops. But I usually look at travel days as dead days and don't want to rush or cram too much in in any event. Comments on this strategy?

Thanks to all. This thread has been a great help on my DIY itinerary planning.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Are you still looking for this? We have a good partner we work with, based out of Jaipur who offers reasonably priced car transfers/driver/guide etc.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:40 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Are you still looking for this? We have a good partner we work with, based out of Jaipur who offers reasonably priced car transfers/driver/guide etc.
Thanks - I've worked with a DMC linked with Virtuoso. Banyan Tours. I'll definitely let everyone know how I go with them. They came highly recommended.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by mczlaw
All: Let my throw out my tentative itinerary for thoughts. And, of course, I have questions.

2. Of the airlines that fly BOM-UDR, only Air India offers a J cabin. The other airlines I see that fly the route nonstop (SpiceJet and IndiGo) are both LCC. Should I spring for AI? Just how bad is it, in general, flying domestic from BOM and is there likely to be a big difference in service as between AI and the LCCs?
We flew both SpiceJet and IndiGo last year and both were fine. One of our flights was about 15 mins late, and the other arrived a bit early. The flights are only an hour-plus, so I wouldn't get overly concerned about not having a J cabin.

FWIW, and perhaps we are outliers, but Udaipur itself was our least favorite city of those we visited on our trip to India. With the throngs of tourists at the palace, wandering the old city and taking boat rides on Lake Pichola, it's exactly the type of place we tend to avoid.

We also stayed three nights, but at RAAS Devigarh, which was by far our favorite hotel. We could've happily spent all of our time in the area at Devigarh and exploring nearby sites. While you are in Udaipur, I'd highly recommend having a driver drive you the 25 minutes to Devigarh where you could have a meal, walk around the grounds, and see the lovely renovation that they did.
SojournsOf likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:06 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
All Indian airlines are a bit of a mess. We flew economy throughout India on whatever routes were most direct--they aren't long enough to worry about J, but if they have J you're free to pay for it. Often, if it's there, it's not much more to get J--which should be a hint to the low quality.

We flew several of the LCCs and they suck--total cattle call. But if the route is nonstop/more direct or at better times, I'd still do it. Chances for misconnecting were enough to learn that lesson the hard way. Don't be surprised if your flights get canceled or delayed. It happened to us a number of times amidst our 3 weeks. Having a great TA/agency who can advise you and promptly rebook you is critical in such circumstances.

4. Based on guidance in this thread, I'm probably staying an "extra" night at most of my stops. But I usually look at travel days as dead days and don't want to rush or cram too much in in any event. Comments on this strategy?
We stayed extra nights in many locations. Enjoyed some R&R and had time to do things we hadn't planned to enjoy. Loved it. FWIW we had 3 nights Lodhi New Delhi, 3 nights Taj Umaid Bhawan Jodhpur, 5 nights Oberoi Udaivilas Udaipur, 3 nights Taj Nadesar Palace Varanasi, 2 nights Oberoi Amravilas Agra, 4 nights Amanbagh.

Originally Posted by jiaotze
FWIW, and perhaps we are outliers, but Udaipur itself was our least favorite city of those we visited on our trip to India. With the throngs of tourists at the palace, wandering the old city and taking boat rides on Lake Pichola, it's exactly the type of place we tend to avoid.

We also stayed three nights, but at RAAS Devigarh, which was by far our favorite hotel. We could've happily spent all of our time in the area at Devigarh and exploring nearby sites. While you are in Udaipur, I'd highly recommend having a driver drive you the 25 minutes to Devigarh where you could have a meal, walk around the grounds, and see the lovely renovation that they did.
We loved Oberoi's Udaivilas but we also agree that Udaipur was less exciting to us as much as the surrounding countryside. We had lunch at the RAAS Devigarh and think it's amazing, though the service and accommodations standard at the Oberoi is higher IMO. The countryside and towns around that area are spectacular and were far more interesting to us than anything in town. Spending time outside Udaipur in the beautiful countryside will make not including Amanbagh less problematic for anyone's itinerary IMO.

We also drove from Jodhpur to Udaupur and had a few amazing stops at Jain and other temples along the way. So more countryside. We loved it.

We also volunteered at Animal Aid for 2 days on the outskirts of Udaipur since we had the time. It was a bit depressing but extremely gratifying and very rewarding--we remember that time very fondly. I highly recommend a visit (and donation)!

https://animalaidunlimited.org
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 28, 2019 at 6:31 pm
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:23 pm
Was sydakllon

I'm running around India like a maniac but I also kind of enjoy that style of travel in some locations.

My itinerary is:
10-11 Apr - Delhi - Oberoi (1n)
11-13 Apr - Varanasi - Brijrama Palace (2n)
13-14 Apr - Overnight train to Kanha National Park (this should be an 'adventure')
14-16 Apr - Kanha NP - Taj Banjaar Tola (2n)
16-18 Apr - Bandhavgarh NP - Samode Safari Lodge (2n)
18-19 Apr - Overnight train to Agra
19-20 Apr - Agra - Oberoi Amarvilas (1n)
20-22 Apr - Jaipur - Samode Haveli (2n)
22-25 Apr - Amanbagh (3n)
25-27 Apr - Jodhpur - RAAS (2n)
27-30 Apr - Udaipur - RAAS Devigarh (3n)
30 Apr-1 May - Udaipur - Taj Lake Palace (partner refused to go to India unless I included a night here) (1n)
1-2 May - Delhi - Lodhi (1n)

I've arranged everything through Virtuoso/Traveller Made DMC 'Banyan Tours' with the exception of RAAS which I arranged direct under their 'RAAS Hopper' package.
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM

I've arranged everything through Virtuoso/Traveller Made DMC 'Banyan Tours' with the exception of RAAS which I arranged direct under their 'RAAS Hopper' package.
We also took advantage of the RAAS Hopper package and we thought it offered outstanding value.

I'm not sure what has caused the delay, but the structure for RAAS Kangra has been completed for for well over a year, but it appears the project is on hold. It looks like a lovely setting, but it's anyone's guess as to when it will open.
SojournsOf likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:00 pm
Was sydakllon

Originally Posted by jiaotze
We also took advantage of the RAAS Hopper package and we thought it offered outstanding value.

I'm not sure what has caused the delay, but the structure for RAAS Kangra has been completed for for well over a year, but it appears the project is on hold. It looks like a lovely setting, but it's anyone's guess as to when it will open.
Glad to hear you thought the RAAS Hopper was good value - my thoughts too based on the inclusions. I almost extended to include RAAS Chhatrasagar, but it looks (from the renders) that they killed the free standing tents in favour of some weird joined rooms with a fabric roof across them all...
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by bhrubin
All Indian airlines are a bit of a mess. We flew economy throughout India on whatever routes were most direct--they aren't long enough to worry about J, but if they have J you're free to pay for it. Often, if it's there, it's not much more to get J--which should be a hint to the low quality.
I used to fly around India often on business and was always very happy to be in business class. Especially on Kingfisher which was great. But they went out of business. Has nothing replaced them since? It's been many years since I took a domestic flight.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
After reading a story about an IndiGo captain landing an A320 on the nosewheel and the subsequent investigation revealing that she didn’t actual have piloting credentials (I forget if they were faked or someone else took the test for her), I wouldn’t fly a LCC there. I think, or at least hope that if Air India is staked by the government they get ex-military pilots or at least properly qualified pilots.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:07 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
After reading a story about an IndiGo captain landing an A320 on the nosewheel and the subsequent investigation revealing that she didn’t actual have piloting credentials (I forget if they were faked or someone else took the test for her), I wouldn’t fly a LCC there. I think, or at least hope that if Air India is staked by the government they get ex-military pilots or at least properly qualified pilots.
I think you might have an overly optimistic appraisal of the quality of AI.
SojournsOf likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I used to fly around India often on business and was always very happy to be in business class. Especially on Kingfisher which was great. But they went out of business. Has nothing replaced them since? It's been many years since I took a domestic flight.
Nothing good, no. JetAirways was acceptable too for a while but they also went out of business.
Flew Jet (especially business) from HKG > BOM because the price was often marginally more than flying CX economy. As @bhrubin said, it's often a mark of quality - but hey, more leg space and privacy for a ~4.5-6 hour flight will do just fine.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.