Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

some luxury hotels in Scotland

some luxury hotels in Scotland

Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: LHW membership
Cameron House

A few years ago I stayed at the Cameron House, about 1hr drive from Glasgow. The hotel was absolutely stunning with a very romantic feel to it. They prepared a beautiful surprise for our anniversary, the food was excellent with locally sourced produce. I remember that the entire resort is part of some private member golf club, located on the lake. I really think that Cameron House deserves to bememtioned here.http://www.cameronhouse.co.uk/
This was about 3 years ago, hopefully they managed to keep up.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
The Blythswood Square Hotel, Glasgow, Scotland, UK [REVIEW:PHOTOS]

Our stay, September 2016, 1 night/2 days

When my fiancé and I planned our visit to Scotland in September 2016 we had one night [before our flight] in Glasgow [after our arrival from St. Andrews] and had to decide where we wanted to stay. We had heard many good things on Trip Advisor and according to Flyer Talk from the info we've gathered The Blythswood Square counts as the best hotel in the city in terms of luxury, service, style and location, so we decided to give it a try and booked the entrance category room, a Standard Room incl. breakfast.

The history of the square and the hotel are interesting, which fits with the whole line up of hotels during our holiday.

We stayed earlier at the Indigo Glasgow, which was the first power station of the city and the Old Course Hotel, an icon in St. Andrews. Please see the reviews for those.

The Blythswood Square is located in the Blythswood Hill area of Glasgow. It was one of the earliest residential developments in the western part of the city, dating back to plans in the 1790s by the architect James Gillespie Graham. The owner of the land was William Harley, a cotton merchant.

The grid-iron street system used in George's Square and Blythswood Hill was taken on by Glasgow Town Council for further development and spread to the United States.

Four Georgian terraces form the square and all buildings are Category A listed. In the middle is a garden, which opens during summer at lunch time to the public.

A scandal involving the square was the murder trial of Madeleine Smith, daughter of a leading architect, in the 1850s, who lived in one of the houses. She was suspected of killing her lover by poisoning him. The verdict was not guilty, but it caused quite a stir within Scottish society and was written about in the book "Square Mile of Murder" by Jack House over 100 years later.

The Blythswood Square Hotel took over the building from the Royal Scottish Automobile Club and opened in 2009.

The hotel is just ca. 10 minutes’ walk from Buchanan Street Bus Station and was easy to find.

The large lobby follows a car/racing theme and has some modern artwork, but is overall classic. There is a beautiful chandelier above the stair case leading to the glamorous bar.

At check in we were warmly welcomed and the formalities were quickly done with. We were advised we were upgraded to a Superior Room, which was slightly larger and had a sofa in front of the bed.

We were accompanied to our room and it was a good thing, because the key card didn't work, so the employee went to reception twice to have them rekeyed, realizing it hadn't anything to do with the cards, an engineer was sent to repair the card reader instead.

While we waited for the engineer we were shown the room and explained the features.

The Superior Room was medium sized with the most dominating color black. Added color splashes were dark brown, red and white. It had a residential feel, supported by the wood used.

The king size bed was comfortable. Above the bed was artwork about the Monte Carlo Rally, integrating the building's association with the RSAC.

The room overlooked the courtyard and was quiet.

There was a large desk with a flat screen TV with 40 mostly regional and some international channels like NHK, Rai, Dubai Sport, France 24 and Al Arabia. There were also magazines (Welcome to Glasgow and the Clyde Valley, This is Glasgow, Edinburgh Festival Guide 2016, The List Glasgow, Scotland and North East England Art Magazine, Foodies and I-On).

In front of the sofa was a small table and a small writing desk was beside the bed.

There was also a Yale safe, two wardrobes, a luggage rack and a mini bar. Storage space was okay, but it isn't suitable for longer stays due to space constrains.

The mini bar included Strathmore water, Capri Sun, Irn Bru, St. Mungo's Beer, Johnny Walker Black Label and much more. Prices ranged from 1.75 GBP to 2.75 GBP (ca. 2 Euro to ca. 3.15 Euro / ca. 2.30 USD to ca. 3.55 USD) for the soft drinks and 4.50 GBP to 7.50 GBP (ca. 5.10 Euro to ca. 8.47 Euro / ca. 5.85 USD to ca. 9.70 USD) for all alcoholic beverages.

Tea/coffee making facilities were available too and the brand used was Brodies, Edinburgh.

The complimentary offered WIFI was fast and reliable throughout the hotel.

Turn down service was provided, but didn't include any gifts and arrived too early, since we were at check in asked when we would like to have it done, as we had requested earlier a different time.

The bathroom was large and completely in beautiful black marble. A window gave views into the room. It could be closed with a shutter for more privacy.

There was a sink, separate bath tub and shower, a set-up which we enjoyed. The amenities were by Neal's Yard, a first for us, and which we liked.

Breakfast, which was included in our rate, was served at the Restaurant. Hot items could be ordered from the a la carte menu, while the cold items were served buffet style. The presentation was upscale and the choice was very good, ranging from Serrano Ham and other cold cuts to olives, tomatoes, nuts, fresh and dried fruits, cereals, porridge with cream and 12 year old Glenfiddich Whisky and much more. Memorable quality IMHO.

We ordered the Eggs Benedict and the avocado toast with salmon. The portion sizes were generous. Only the salmon could have been slightly more in terms of quantity.

We enjoyed our stay and would return again. As always check out came to early.

The hotel has changed hands since our stay and belongs now to the Principal Hotel Collection. We look forward to enjoy the "new" Blythswood Square hopefully in our future again and again when visiting Glasgow.

Here's a selection of our images we took while staying at this beautiful landmark hotel in Sep. 2016 including:

Would we recommend this landmark hotel to a friend? YES! ^
Would we look forward to stay at this landmark hotel again in our future? YES! ^

Thank you and safe travels.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Helpful nice selection DavidO and uggboy, Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Helpful nice selection DavidO and uggboy, Thanks!
Thank you offerendum, that's good to know and appreciated.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:22 am

The Restaurant at Blythswood Square, Glasgow, Scotland, UK [REVIEW:PHOTOS]

Our dinner, September 2016

While staying for 1 night in September 2016 at the Blythswood Square Hotel in Glasgow we went to dinner at The Restaurant, their style-driven yet elegant eatery.

Like the Sands Grill at the Old Course Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort, The Restaurant offered a Market Menu at a good value.

Both the hotel and the restaurant were glamourous. There were for example huge lampshades and inside were different classic cars printed which reminded us about their heritage.

The friendly and attentive staff took good care of us.

The only thing we didn't like that much was that in the middle of the meal the light was suddenly so much dimmed we barely could see what we were eating. While a more romantic atmosphere can be indeed achieved with dimming the lights, but when it's too dark it can get slightly annoying. Otherwise we enjoyed our dinner very much.

We ordered one bottle of still Strathmore water, a Bumbo Cocktail - it was inspired by adventures while travelling to exotic countries around 100 to 200 years ago -, a glass of the Champagne of the month, in this case Baron de Villeboerg Brut NV, two hot chocolates, two mackerel pate with chorizo, salad and bread disc, two butternut squash tortelloni with soya butter and micro herbs, one S'mores cheese cake and one plum frangipane.

All was delicious, modern and very nicely presented as expected from such an upscale venue.

The bill was 81.70 GBP (ca. 92.30 Euro / ca. 105.30 USD).

We would return and try their new restaurant offerings since the Blythswood Square has has/will join the Principal Hotel Collection which should further enhance the appeal of this beautiful landmark hotel in the heart of Glasgow.

Here's a selection of our images we took as we enjoyed our dinner in September 2016:

Would we recommend this restaurant to a friend? YES! ^
Would we want to enjoy lunch/dinner again at this restaurant in our future? YES! ^

Thank you and safe travels.

Last edited by uggboy; Aug 4, 2017 at 11:49 am Reason: Added Clarity
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:30 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Any new luxury hotels/inns to consider in Scotland? Any recent stays from fellow FTers?

My husband and I look to return to Scotland in May 2019 for our first time since 2011–the longest interlude since we’ve been together. My husband proposed to me at the Boath House cottage in 2008, so we expect to visit again on this trip.

We expect to also stay at either Kinloch Lodge (I’d stayed with a friend in 2003) or Three Chimneys on Skye.

We also are considering The Torridon and/or the Isle of Eriska hotels.

Pray for me...for none have air con. It’s not been too much an issue for me in the past, what with the cold nights in the Highlands...but you can be sure I’ll be pre-ordering at least two fans to better ensure my sanity.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:40 pm
Original Member

No help to you in this regard but I soon will be posting a (probably hilarious) review of our recent stay at the Balmoral in Edinburgh.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Pray for me...for none have air con. It’s not been too much an issue for me in the past, what with the cold nights in the Highlands...but you can be sure I’ll be pre-ordering at least two fans to better ensure my sanity.
Oh my... this could get deliciously interesting. I will have my popcorn ready come May 2019

Regards
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:16 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by KatW
No help to you in this regard but I soon will be posting a (probably hilarious) review of our recent stay at the Balmoral in Edinburgh.
I can't wait. Which suite did you choose? We previously stayed in a Castle View Suite.

It's still the most likely haunt we would choose. We last stayed there in Nov 2006 (and really enjoyed it). I've also stayed at the Caledonian (when it was a mere Hilton) and the Missoni (before it became the current Radisson Royal Mile.

I wasn't ever so excited about the Marriott Autograph's Glass House, but it's an interesting option if the Balmoral doesn't impress and doesn't meet the cost/benefit for us. Status does require me to stay nights with Marriott now, after all.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:26 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

There's a new hotel in Edinburgh's New Town, just off St Andrew's Square. It's called the Edinburgh Grand, and as far as I can see, it looks quite impressive from the outside (as is most of Edinburgh :P). Haven't stayed there (why would I? ), so I can't say how it is...

I'd always recommended the good old Caley down on the West End of Princes Street, though.

In regards to air conditioning, generally, I don't see any need for that in Scotland... except during the crazy heat a few weeks ago...

Also, I'd suggest you to go see St Andrews if you haven't already been. It's a wonderful place to unwind for a few days.

Safe Travels, and Have a pleasant time in Scotland
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Any experience with the following will be most appreciated:

(1) Three Chimneys lodging vs Kinloch Lodge on Skye?

(2) Isle of Eriska Hotel vs Airds Hotel near Oban?

(3) Cameron House near Loch Lomond?

(4) Albannach Hotel vs Inver Lodge Hotel in Sutherland?

(5) The Torridon?

We are leaning toward Kinloch (with dinners perhaps at just lost 1* Kinloch and Three Chimneys and perhaps 1* Loch Bay), Cameron House (1* Michelin restaurant), The Torridon, Inver Lodge (with dinner at 1* Albannach), Boath House (with 1* restaurant), and ending perhaps at Gleneagles (for dinner at its 2* restaurant).

Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:10 pm

bhrubin - We stayed at The Airds two years ago. Fantastic location, near one of Scotland's most photogenic castles, a very pleasant old-school place. We book at the last minute in the UK because of the weather so got the very last room which had the best view being on the top floor but otherwise I think you wouldn't be happy in it. We saw a couple of suites which looked much nicer. Food was on the bland side of good.

Several years ago we stayed at The Albannach. I can only describe it as eccentric with the owner/chef in a kilt playing bagpipes. Have no idea if he still does this. Maybe it depends if he has any Americans staying . . . Again, incredibly scenic location but a long haul up there.

There was a massive fire at Cameron House last year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-west-44004323

We really liked Glenapp Castle near Ballantrae, despite our upgraded suite having a plastic shower curtain in the bath! Stunning building, great food but Glenapp is probably best located en route to the Isle of Mull and maybe the ferry to Northern Ireland.

Inverlochy Castle used to be the benchmark in the Highlands but it seems to have fallen off the radar in recent years.
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jul 21, 2018 at 4:31 am
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:51 am
Suspended

Well, our intended 2019 trip to Scotland got pushed to April/May 2020 for us to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. So I reopen discussion here to see if there have been any recent stays at or information regarding the following hotel options or any others my peers may wish to recommend. There won't be air con at any place in the Highlands, so you know how much I must love the Highlands to even risk this!

(1) Boath House, Nairn (near Inverness). This is where we got engaged in 2008. This seems a definite, even if the restaurant no longer has a star.

(2) Kinloch Lodge vs Three Chimneys The House Over By, Isle of Skye. I stayed at Kinloch with a buddy back in 2003. Restaurant lost its star, but I had a wonderful time there. Thinking about staying at both hotels and dining at both to enjoy the best of Skye?

(3) Inverlochy Castle vs Isle of Eriska vs Airds hotels. Any recent stays? Invelochy and Isle of Eriska seem to be the best matches for us, but Isle if Eriska won't allow booking for its best Hilltop Reserve Suites until 8 weeks out for some ridiculously insipid reason that defies understanding. Inverlochy used to be considered amazing, but you don't hear much about it the last several years. Any recent stays or updates?

(4) The Torridon? The Albannach closed, Inver House seems perhaps too far.

(5) Looks like Glasshouse, Autograph Collection, Edinburgh. Already booked for top suite. Balmoral was too pricey and too odd overall, and @KatW's recent review made us reconsider. Glasshouse is quite close, quite reasonably priced even for top suites, and quite favorably reviewed. Also, there doesn't seem to be any top recommendation for Edinburgh at the moment. (I am not a fan of the WA Caledonian, having stayed there when it was a Hilton.)

Thanks for any recent feedback!
damon88 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:38 pm

We stayed at Boath House near Inverness three years ago and loved it. Another place not mentioned is Cromlix the small luxury hotel that Andy Murray owns. It is is Perthshire.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:11 pm

Any views regarding the Dakota Hotel Glasgow? We'd like a place in central Glasgow.
bhrubin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.