Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires and Santiago

Old Sep 21, 15, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United global services, BA gold,

I will be going in the next months and have not been for about 5 years. Which is the best in BA these days - FS, PH, Alvear Palace ( was run down on my last visit and had to get the "right" room), or the new Faena ( not sure I want to stay in that location).

Santiago- I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton in the past, but I am assuming it might be past its prime now unless renovated. Has anyone stayed there lately? Are there any other good choices?

Thank you everyone!
Old Sep 21, 15, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
I will be going in the next months and have not been for about 5 years. Which is the best in BA these days - FS, PH, Alvear Palace ( was run down on my last visit and had to get the "right" room), or the new Faena ( not sure I want to stay in that location).

Santiago- I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton in the past, but I am assuming it might be past its prime now unless renovated. Has anyone stayed there lately? Are there any other good choices?

Thank you everyone!
To everyone, I realize the Faena is not " new" per se, but the last time I was there it was in a location that was great for dinner and drinks but not that great for a 3 night stay. ( I MHO), but maybe that's changed! So looking for more recent feedback on it and the others! Location is important to us!

Thank you!
Old Sep 22, 15, 12:58 am
IHG Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; MR, HH, GP, GC..
Will only be in BA in December , at PH .

We ' ll likely be at The Aubrey Boutique Hotel Santiago in January so can ' t help you if any earlier .
How about Park Plaza Santiago ?
The Singular Santiago Lastarria Hotel ? Anyone stayed before ?
Old Sep 22, 15, 1:40 am

Park Hyatt really shines in BA.
Old Sep 22, 15, 2:55 am

Three years ago we stayed at the Grand Hyatt Santiago. Others in our group were at the RC. We much preferred the Hyatt because it has large grounds, a resort-style swimming pool and a nice outdoor restaurant. Our room had a spectacular view of the mountains and was split level. The Hyatt has one of those trademark atrium lobbies but it seems that is has been well-maintained and modernised. The RC, while smart, seemed a bit claustrophobic and was a business-orientated 'indoors' hotel.
Old Sep 22, 15, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I was in Buenos Aires in June. I stayed at the Four Seasons, Alvear Palace, Alvear Art, and Faena. I also visited the Park Hyatt.

I like hotel rooms that speak to the place, and for me PH rooms looked like they could be just about anywhere.

The Alvear Palace had the best service the best breakfast buffet of the bunch, but the decor is very traditional.

The Four Seasons was solid all around, but didn't excel in any one category.

Alvear Art has the modern decor that the Palace lacks and an amazing rooftop pool, but doesn't hit the service highs. However, the price point is much lower. Neighborhood felt more vibrant than Recoleta.

Faena is fun and that neighborhood continues to grow. Love that one of the Virtuoso amenities is a Tango show.
Old Sep 22, 15, 11:22 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
If you ask for a room in the original palace part of the PH you will get a contemporary decor but in a traditional setting, giving you more of a feeling if place. I still think PH is the best option in BA.

I haven't stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Santiago in three years but last time it was just okay.
Old Sep 22, 15, 2:13 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat
We are going in March 2016 and for Buenos Aires our TA recommended we consider staying in a boutique hotel in Palermo neighborhood. On her recommendation we chose the Coppola Jardin Escondido which only has 8 rooms over the 4 seasons. Have not seen this mentioned on this forum at all yet, but will report back when we return.
Old Sep 22, 15, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by chelsea2 View Post
will report back when we return.
I look forward to it. Palermo Soho was definitely my favorite neighborhood in BA.
Old Sep 22, 15, 4:18 pm

Buenos Aires is like Sydney. There's Park Hyatt, then nothing for a good while and then comes the rest. Very few cities like that. Four Seasons is also a solid choice, but just not really as good.
Old Sep 22, 15, 9:36 pm
BLV

Will be staying at PH in BA beginning of November.
Old Sep 23, 15, 8:04 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Stayed at the RC Santiago in April and it is in complete need of renovation. It is the same furniture from when I stayed there when it first opened 10 or so years ago. The bathrooms are especially showing wear. Service was spotty in the F&B outlets, and most venues didn't have much business.
Old Sep 23, 15, 8:57 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA Gld, Hyatt plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat amb, SPG Life Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sonomawine View Post
Stayed at the RC Santiago in April and it is in complete need of renovation. It is the same furniture from when I stayed there when it first opened 10 or so years ago. The bathrooms are especially showing wear. Service was spotty in the F&B outlets, and most venues didn't have much business.
Agree, I stayed at the RC 3 or 4 years ago. It was showing wear then, but still OK. After 3 or 4 more years of wear... hmmm.

Good location next to a Metro stop however.
Old Sep 23, 15, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For Buenos Aires, I've enjoyed the PH but I always ask for a room/suite on the Palace side.

There are a bunch of boutique hotels opening in some neighborhoods, but they seem to be small individual four star properties rather than true luxury.
Old Sep 23, 15, 11:21 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
If you want a boutique hotel in Recoleta consider the Algodon Mansion. Small with great rooms and service.

Search this Thread