Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:24 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Arashiyama is really great. We enjoyed just hanging around the river and people watched. The mountains and river are really soothing. We got there around 7:30am to go check out the bamboo paths and it seemed to be just about right as there were only a few people around. By 8:30am, it was beginning to feel crowded.
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gstork
I'm heading to Japan in May, and was able to secure 3 nights at the Suiran Kyoto on points (first time in Kyoto, so very excited about this). Any tips on managing a paid upgrade from the base reward room? How far is the property from the main sites in Kyoto that a first timer would likely want to see/do?

Many thanks in advance for helpful tips. Great thread!
It's going to be 40-50 mins taxi ride to Kiyomizu dera and Tofukji temples. Probably best to do them on one day.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:00 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Arashiyama is really great. We enjoyed just hanging around the river and people watched. The mountains and river are really soothing. We got there around 7:30am to go check out the bamboo paths and it seemed to be just about right as there were only a few people around. By 8:30am, it was beginning to feel crowded.

I agree that early morning is the best time to visit. We went twice during our 8 night stay at Suiran and it definitely was more crowded in the afternoon.

It may sound silly but it worked out great to take a rickshaw ride to the forest on our second visit. The driver knew the best route through the bamboo and he was able to take photos of us with our phone. He had practiced and knew how to get really good panoramic shots.

There are other things I highly recommend in Arashiyama-
the Monkey Park (the hike and view are beautiful), Gioji Temple, Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple , Tenryuji Temple, the Sagano Scenic Romantic Train and if you want to splurge on an amazing Kaiseki lunch or dinner- Kitchu.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:06 pm

Shot in the dark, but has anyone stayed at Yakimochiya in Nagano City? Curious to hear about it!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:24 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MattEvan
Shot in the dark, but has anyone stayed at Yakimochiya in Nagano City? Curious to hear about it!
Looking at their website, I doubt that this is a luxury ryokan as it appears many of the rooms don't have a private bathroom! Or as their website says, " Toilet and a washroom are not located in the room. Share space is immediately near the room."
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Looking at their website, I doubt that this is a luxury ryokan as it appears many of the rooms don't have a private bathroom! Or as their website says, " Toilet and a washroom are not located in the room. Share space is immediately near the room."
This can happen at some ryokans. They're not squatter toilets but I'll never pay to stay somewhere and share a bathroom.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Does anyone who's been to both have strong opinons on Hakone-Ginyu vs. Yama No Chaya? We have reservations at both at the moment - Roughly the same price for private onsen rooms, a Sora Room at Hakone-Ginyu and Ajisai at YamaNoChaya (with the extra sashimi meal plan ). Looks like Hakone-Ginyu has the better view and YamaNoChaya has the upgraded meal plan going for it, but hard to say without knowing the quality of the food/rooms at either place! On pictures they both look amazing...
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Ever Get out of Tokyo?

Thinking that those who frequent this thread may actually go north to Sapporo, I wanted to know if anyone has a recommended hotel or ryokan that is close to where the main Snow Festival activities are held each year.

Many thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Thinking that those who frequent this thread may actually go north to Sapporo, I wanted to know if anyone has a recommended hotel or ryokan that is close to where the main Snow Festival activities are held each year.

Many thanks!
It's likely that the best accommodation in town is in the "Grand within Grand" section of the Sapporo Grand hotel. I've stayed there once and I thought the rooms were quite decent and, I suspect, dramatically different and better from the rest of the hotel, which likely is a not so good world. The problem is that the rooms are crazily overpriced when the Snow Festival is NOT on, so I cannot imagine what they would be charging when it is on. I am talking prices that are higher than the most expensive Tokyo hotels during the non-Snow Festival season -- Y80,000 a night and up for a 50sqmt regular room -- and again, these are the rates when the Snow Festival is NOT on.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Feb 8, 2019 at 11:37 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:53 am

It's likely that the best accommodation in town is in the "Grand within Grand" section of the Sapporo Grand hotel. I've stayed there once and I thought the rooms were quite decent and, I suspect, dramatically different and better from the rest of the hotel, which likely is a not so good world. The problem is that the rooms are crazily overpriced when the Snow Festival is NOT on, so I cannot imagine what they would be charging when it is on. I am talking prices that are higher than the most expensive Tokyo hotels during the non-Snow Festival season -- Y80,000 a night and up for a 50sqmt regular room -- and again, these are the rates when the Snow Festival is NOT on.
Thank you for your insights. Might you have an email for the concierge or reservations? I cannot find any availability in dates in January and February.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:15 am

Thank you for your insights. Might you have an email for the concierge or reservations? I cannot find any availability in dates in January and February.
No, I never had any contact with the concierge or indeed with management at all. I am not surprised that it might be sold out a year in advance but it is also the case that many Japanese hotels don't even open up most of their space that far in advance. A booking site like Rakuten travel also sometimes has space when the hotel site does not.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:18 am

No, I never had any contact with the concierge or indeed with management at all. I am not surprised that it might be sold out a year in advance but it is also the case that many Japanese hotels don't even open up most of their space that far in advance. A booking site like Rakuten travel also sometimes has space when the hotel site does not.
Thanks for the suggestion. After responding to you yesterday, I contacted the hotel via its "Contact Us" button on the website. I very quickly got an email from reservations that said that inventory has yet to be released.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. After responding to you yesterday, I contacted the hotel via its "Contact Us" button on the website. I very quickly got an email from reservations that said that inventory has yet to be released.
Bear in mind that while it is priced like a luxury hotel, it is not one, although the hard product in "Grand In Grand" is good and paying rack rate gets you access to a lounge.
747FC likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

curious how well best luxury hotel concierges do, and if some things do not have to cost a fortune

thetimes.co.uk/article/behind-closed-doors-in-japan-hs5ghhzd7
luxurique.com/img/media/thetilesluxx2018.pdf
concierge company Luxurique not only creates individual packages for travellers, but has also been commissioned by the Japanese government to create VIP packages for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:50 am

Anyone have any ryokan recommendations in the Kanazawa and Yamanouchi area? Working on a trip for December and trying to gather more info. Right now I'm considering Asadaya, Beniya Mukayu, Kinjohro, Kayotei for Kanazawa, and for Yamanoichi we were considering Sekiya, Myojinkan, and Kanaguya (more for the novelty). Ideally we prefer something with a good outdoor bath. We loved our stay at Asaba and were hoping for something similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.