Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:30 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Going to Osaka in January. Both RC Osaka and StR Osaka are priced the same.

I'm able to use club certs at RC to get breakfast or breakfast is included at the StR as a PP.
Which one is better?

I've stayed at RC Kyoto and loved the property. I plan to goto Nara for a day anyways, if RC Kyoto/Suiran is that much better I'd book that instead as well. Thx for the advice in advance!
We stayed at both RC Kyoto and Suiran—and loved both. We prefer Suiran but we prefer more authentic, more rural/less urban settings that also are less touristed. So choose based on your priorities there.

We also stayed at the StR Osaka and loved it—especially the food/beverage and service. The Italian Le Veduta restaurant is sublime and we had a dinner there that could be Michelin worthy. We also loved the StR decor and ambience much more than at the RC, which we visited and toured rooms/suites (see my StR Osaka review above). The RC felt old and dated and its low ceilings and decadent decor made me feel geriatric. Depends on what you value more...but I think your upgrade chances are always better at a StR over a RC and generally you’ll be treated better. The bar at the StR is fab, too.

In Nara, I highly recommend lunch at 3* Wa Yamamura. It’s $56 per person and incredibly good.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Hi All,

Any recent stays at Zaborin?

Thinking about going to Hokkaido for skiing and maybe stay at a nice ryokan around Niseko. Zaborin sounds like a perfect choice.

Also interested in Ginrinsou in Otaru, would love to hear any recent stays, thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:57 pm

I'm trying to decide between St. Regis Osaka and Conrad for a stay over NYE. I'm not familiar with the area, so not sure if one is particular better (or worse) over NYE and would appreciate thoughts from those who may have info. Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:19 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Ross0
I'm trying to decide between St. Regis Osaka and Conrad for a stay over NYE. I'm not familiar with the area, so not sure if one is particular better (or worse) over NYE and would appreciate thoughts from those who may have info. Thanks!
If you want a better hard product, the Conrad is a clear winner. If you want a better soft product (service and food/beverage), thr St Regis is the clear winner. We stayed at the StR and loved it. But we were also quite impressed with the hard product at the Conrad.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Service at Conrad Osaka was truly awful during my stay late last year (already several months after property opening). Some FT'ers have had better experiences, but others have also complained about soft product and I won't consider staying there again until there are a ton of consistently good reviews in the property-specific FT thread (here) that indicate the property has gotten its act together.

Views are amazing and hard product is very good, but you have to like open plan bathrooms if you're in the base rooms.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by gengar; Dec 14, 2018 at 9:15 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:50 am
Suspended

I would expect service at the Conrad to be even worse than normal for such a high occupancy time as New Year’s. For special events and holidays, I almost always prefer the hotel with the better track record of service. But to each, their own.

We had an excellent stay even when without any suite upgrade when the StR was completely full up for several weddings. That says a lot to me. Also, the F/B at the StR blew the Conrad away. That matters a lot to us.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

StR Osaka's location is a bit closer to any foreign bars and action too.
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
StR Osaka's location is a bit closer to any foreign bars and action too.
I’d love to hear what you mean by foreign action.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:04 am

I had a two night stay at the Ritz Carlton in Kyoto in October. I checked in online the day before and was met as I got out of a local taxi, whisked straight to the room that was a 2 category upgrade (for a lowly silver at the time). The room was fantastic with a wonderful balcony, F&B was great and the hotel is probably the best large chain hotel I have stayed at, I think housekeeping is slightly below Aman standards and at the same level as the Peninsula LA.

The location really makes this hotel as it is so much more central than the Four Seasons.
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newfrequent
probably the best large chain hotel I have stayed at, I think housekeeping is slightly below Aman standards and at the same level as the Peninsula LA.
good to hear!

large refers to chain or hotel?
134 rooms at RC kyoto
195 rooms at peninsula LA
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
good to hear!

large refers to chain or hotel?
134 rooms at RC kyoto
195 rooms at peninsula LA
great point! I meant a chain, as the service was far more personalised than you’d expect.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by newfrequent

great point! I meant a chain, as the service was far more personalised than you’d expect.
Housekeeping in luxury hotels Japan can be very exacting and good. Ironically, the only case of bad housekeeping I've heard recent was from Aman Tokyo of all places!
newfrequent likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:45 pm

I'm heading to Japan in May, and was able to secure 3 nights at the Suiran Kyoto on points (first time in Kyoto, so very excited about this). Any tips on managing a paid upgrade from the base reward room? How far is the property from the main sites in Kyoto that a first timer would likely want to see/do?

Starting with 3 nights in Tokyo. Stayed at FS a couple years ago, and had a great stay. Looking to try something new. Was noting many strong positive mentions of the Prince Gallery. Is that a favorite over the RC or Andaz or Shangri-La?

Many thanks in advance for helpful tips. Great thread!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:10 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gstork
I'm heading to Japan in May, and was able to secure 3 nights at the Suiran Kyoto on points (first time in Kyoto, so very excited about this). Any tips on managing a paid upgrade from the base reward room? How far is the property from the main sites in Kyoto that a first timer would likely want to see/do?

Starting with 3 nights in Tokyo. Stayed at FS a couple years ago, and had a great stay. Looking to try something new. Was noting many strong positive mentions of the Prince Gallery. Is that a favorite over the RC or Andaz or Shangri-La?

Many thanks in advance for helpful tips. Great thread!
We were fortunate enough to have Suiran give us a complimentary upgrade to the Presidential Suite for all 8 nights of our stay in October 2016 but that is not something one can count on. Our son was able to negotiate paid upgrades at both Suiran and Prince Gallery Kioicho for his upcoming reward stays in September 2019. The cost for those upgrades will vary depending upon time of year, occupancy etc. We absolutely love Suiran- I’m sure the hotel will work with you if they have an upgrade available.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:16 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gstork
Though I can't help you with the first question, the Suiran is located in Arashiyama, a quaint neighborhood somewhat detached from the rest of Kyoto. Arashiyama is an under-20 minute train ride to Kyoto Station, and is known for its bamboo paths.
BESVISOR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.