Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:00 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@newfrequent, you make valid and cogent points.

However, I am getting the impression that the answers the RC concierge team are giving you are due as much to the fact that higher end Japanese restaurants don’t entertain the dietary restriction preferences and substitutions that are more expected in the USA and some locations in Europe. The RC concierge is not responsible for the fact that so many Japanese restaurants don’t always have clear guidelines or approaches to these vegetarian and vegan dietary preferences.

As a result, it feels like you’re not liking the answers and therefore blaming the RC concierge for being the messenger.

I’d be of the same opinion for anyone complaining about Kosher requirements in Israel or being surprised when the concierge at an Israeli hotel cannot give you the answers you want in that regard.

You perceive the concierge to be unhelpful. I’m not sure that I’d perceive the same thing given the nature of your queries and what you’ve so far shared here.

It is still possible the concierge could have handled the issue better, of course. But it is just as likely that you simply are upset that Japan doesn’t value or care about your dietary issues in the same way as in other nations. Therein lies the challenge here in this discussion, I think.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by newfrequent
The RC explicitly told me bluntly that they won’t be able to accommodate me in their Tempura restaurant as a vegetarian. However the restaurant reservation team at the RC corrected the concierge and offered a vegan menu without me even mentioning it. I had previously had this menu when I was in Kyoto in December.
That is objectively terrible. At a loss as to why others appear to be defending / condoning / overlooking this type of behavior.
newfrequent likes this.

Last edited by gengar; Sep 28, 2018 at 1:09 am
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:51 am

I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents as well. On a recent trip to Japan I stayed at the Tokyo Station Hotel.

A rather unique hotel, in that it is located within the historic Tokyo Central Station building, it has what has to be one of the most helpful concierge teams I've ever experienced.

They managed to get me reservations at some hard-to-get restaurants, such as Jiro, Sawada and Ryugin. Although they weren't able to get reservations at Saito, Den or Nanachome Kyoboshi (although the last 2 were my fault, requesting them rather late), they were able to find me some great alternatives, including lunch at a Michelin starred tempura restaurant for the next day.

They also spent a huge amount of time trying to locate my bags which had been lost on the journey over, making multiple calls to Narita airport until they were finally able to trace it (no thanks to the terrible service at Vueling).

Although I didn't really use them for anything else (apart from train booking etc), I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them (and the hotel in general)
newfrequent likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by gengar
That is objectively terrible. At a loss as to why others appear to be defending / condoning / overlooking this type of behavior.
It’s a language barrier thing. And in fairness to the concierge, it is rather unusual request, so they probably did not know what to say. It’s akin to wanting to eat sushi, but to expect to not be served fish. It’s not the concierge’s fault for being the messenger.

The previous list that FS already provided is rather good. Although the number of stars a restaurant has is totally irrelevant if one is not eating what is being served. It’s not clear to me how that list could be improved upon, or how someone expects something from the concierge that is beyond the scope of what local restaurants both within and without the hotel are willing to do.

The all day/western dining venue surely is the better choice for special requests. Certain Japanese foods like Yudofu, soba noodles, etc... also come to mind as options.

United747 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
It’s a language barrier thing. And in fairness to the concierge, it is rather unusual request, so they probably did not know what to say. It’s akin to wanting to eat sushi, but to expect to not be served fish. It’s not the concierge’s fault for being the messenger.
It's not the concierge's fault for giving incorrect information about the RC's own restaurant?
gengar and newfrequent like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
It's not the concierge's fault for giving incorrect information about the RC's own restaurant?
No it is not. It is a forgivable mistake considering that virtually no Japanese person would make the request. It seems
to have been rectified, so as far as I can see there is no issue.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:00 pm

@bhrubin

The RC concierge wasn’t asked to book any restaurants that aren’t exclusively vegetarian other than their own tempura restaurant.

So it is the concierges responses that are frustrating me, their lack of knowledge of basic dietary requirements, the lack of knowledge of their own restaurants & them ignoring emails and requests.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
@newfrequent, you make valid and cogent points.

However, I am getting the impression that the answers the RC concierge team are giving you are due as much to the fact that higher end Japanese restaurants don’t entertain the dietary restriction preferences and substitutions that are more expected in the USA and some locations in Europe. The RC concierge is not responsible for the fact that so many Japanese restaurants don’t always have clear guidelines or approaches to these vegetarian and vegan dietary preferences.

As a result, it feels like you’re not liking the answers and therefore blaming the RC concierge for being the messenger.

I’d be of the same opinion for anyone complaining about Kosher requirements in Israel or being surprised when the concierge at an Israeli hotel cannot give you the answers you want in that regard.

You perceive the concierge to be unhelpful. I’m not sure that I’d perceive the same thing given the nature of your queries and what you’ve so far shared here.

It is still possible the concierge could have handled the issue better, of course. But it is just as likely that you simply are upset that Japan doesn’t value or care about your dietary issues in the same way as in other nations. Therein lies the challenge here in this discussion, I think.

Last edited by newfrequent; Sep 28, 2018 at 3:06 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:04 pm

@mikefromtokyo The concierge wasn’t asked to improve on the list or do anything other than book 2 restaurants that I know can accommodate me.

One of the reasons I became a vegetarian is because of quite a bad shellfish allergy, therefore I take my requests quite seriously. Therefore I chose to dine at vegetarian only restaurants in Japan. However having eaten at the RCs tempura restaurant before I wanted to try it again and knew they could accommodate me.

I have now had the confirmation from the Kyoto RC restaurant team, which was informative, delightful and friendly.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

The previous list that FS already provided is rather good. Although the number of stars a restaurant has is totally irrelevant if one is not eating what is being served. It’s not clear to me how that list could be improved upon, or how someone expects something from the concierge that is beyond the scope of what local restaurants both within and without the hotel are willing to do.

The all day/western dining venue surely is the better choice for special requests. Certain Japanese foods like Yudofu, soba noodles, etc... also come to mind as options.

MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:15 pm

Sadly I’m having concierge issues at the RC Kyoto too.

The concierge is bordering on being rude, over some very simple dietary requirements. They can’t seem to understand the difference been a vegan and a vegetarian, this wasn’t an issue for the Four Seasons Kyoto or the peninsula Tokyo.

they're also forgetting requests for activities. What’s the best way to contact the GM?
If you'd still like to contact someone:

Simon Finch
Guest Relations Manager
The Ritz Carlton Kyoto
[email protected]

He answers a lot of comments on tripadvisor, thanking people for positive reviews and asking for the chance to fix problems.

The general manager's name appears to be Mark Neukomm and I'd guess his email address follows the pattern.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:07 am

@mikefromtokyo The concierge wasn’t asked to improve on the list or do anything other than book 2 restaurants that I know can accommodate me.

One of the reasons I became a vegetarian is because of quite a bad shellfish allergy, therefore I take my requests quite seriously. Therefore I chose to dine at vegetarian only restaurants in Japan. However having eaten at the RCs tempura restaurant before I wanted to try it again and knew they could accommodate me.

I have now had the confirmation from the Kyoto RC restaurant team, which was informative, delightful and friendly.
Glad to hear it. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Yes, for dietary needs and any other F&B requests, speaking with F&B/hotel management is the way to go.

Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Thank you for the wonderful review! Did you happen to try any of the meal add-ons?

Also, I assume it is easy to explore Hakone and Gora given proximity to the Tozan line? I presume most of the major tourist attractions are located by those stops. I would like to explore the area before catching a 5:30pm flight from NRT (looks like I'd have to leave around 1:30pm).

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
If the weather is decent, the Hakone Open Air Musuem is pretty much next to the Chokoku-no-Mori Station, which is the stop just before the end of the Tozan Line at Gora. I don't recall anything of interest at Gora itself other than waiting a long time for a lunch at a popular katsu restaurant and looking at some of the shops outside of the station before riding the cable car farther up the hill.
764toHI likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Jermyn
We spent 5 nights at the RC Kyoto last November and loved it so much that we intend to repeat the experience next year.
Like bhrubin, we initially had some real problems with the concierge but were compensated more than adequately and were very well looked after during our stay.
My experience with the RC Kyoto concierge team has been different from yours and a few others. I'm staying there in mid-November and contacted them about a week ago with some reservation requests. Through several emails, they have always responded quite quickly and courteously, and overall did what I'd regard as an excellent job in securing reservations. While they weren't able to get me into a couple of my first choices (Mizai and Kitcho), those were unicorns that I never expected would be possible in any case. They have booked me into:

- Kichisen
- Miyoshi
- Tempura Matsu
- Sushi Matsumoto

as well as a couple of other places they recommended. I have no idea if the above are easy or not to reserve, but the concierge team also provided some valuable advice on the course offerings at these restaurants (helpful, since otherwise it's just a range of price options), as well as making sure that I'm comfortable with, for example, raw beef at Miyoshi.

Now I just need to see if the Conrad Tokyo staff can come through on any of my lottery picks there!
Jermyn likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by JHunter
My experience with the RC Kyoto concierge team has been different from yours and a few others. I'm staying there in mid-November and contacted them about a week ago with some reservation requests. Through several emails, they have always responded quite quickly and courteously, and overall did what I'd regard as an excellent job in securing reservations. While they weren't able to get me into a couple of my first choices (Mizai and Kitcho), those were unicorns that I never expected would be possible in any case. They have booked me into:

- Kichisen
- Miyoshi
- Tempura Matsu
- Sushi Matsumoto

as well as a couple of other places they recommended. I have no idea if the above are easy or not to reserve, but the concierge team also provided some valuable advice on the course offerings at these restaurants (helpful, since otherwise it's just a range of price options), as well as making sure that I'm comfortable with, for example, raw beef at Miyoshi.

Now I just need to see if the Conrad Tokyo staff can come through on any of my lottery picks there!
Just wanted to echo these sentiments/experience with the quality of the RC Kyoto concierge. We booked a last minute trip and they were incredibly helpful in making reservations at a few of our top choices and were very swift in replying to all emails prior to visiting. We were also very well looked after during our stay.

I appreciate that not everyone has had such similar levels of service but did want to add my perspective as a very happy guest when I stayed there recently!
Jermyn likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:49 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Without reading through this entire 600+ post thread, would any experienced FTs help with a recommendation for my son and his wife who just locked down their flight for a trip next Sept-October and will now be focusing on hotels.

They want to divide their stay between 3 hotels- 1 in Tokyo, 1 in Kyoto and 1 “to be decided.”

For their TBD they would like a Luxury Hotel in some beautiful and scenic location. Their first inclination was Amannemu- however after reading through that thread I wonder if their might be an even better choice.

Do any veterans here have a suggestion?

Thanks so much in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.