Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Jermyn
We spent 5 nights at the RC Kyoto last November and loved it so much that we intend to repeat the experience next year.
Like bhrubin, we initially had some real problems with the concierge but were compensated more than adequately and were very well looked after during our stay.

Having spent time in Kyoto at all times of the year, I have to say that Autumn is my favourite, not only is the foliage spectacular but the seasonal produce is probably the most varied and interesting. Of all the restaurants we tried, Gion Nishikawa was our favourite, with Monk being possibly the biggest surprise standout (particularly since it is not really Japanese food in the traditional sense). If you're interested in either make sure you ask the RC concierge to reserve them well in advance!
Wonder if we were in Kyoto the same time last November .
We will be staying 5 nights at RC Kyoto this time .

Agree with you about the season , nice & enough cool for us too . Spring had a few unexpected hot days which made walking rather unpleasant .

We are using this guy to drive us as we can then make as many detours we want and he knows the ins & outs , restaurants included . The Toyota Alphard gives us a better view of the areas we pass through whether alleys or other terrain ( to view foliage ) .

Getting us to Nemu ( really like the onsen , spa , pool .. ) again & to KIX will be a breeze ( considering the latest disaster ) .
Jermyn likes this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 20, 2018 at 5:28 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn
We spent 5 nights at the RC Kyoto last November and loved it so much that we intend to repeat the experience next year.
Like bhrubin, we initially had some real problems with the concierge but were compensated more than adequately and were very well looked after during our stay.

Having spent time in Kyoto at all times of the year, I have to say that Autumn is my favourite, not only is the foliage spectacular but the seasonal produce is probably the most varied and interesting. Of all the restaurants we tried, Gion Nishikawa was our favourite, with Monk being possibly the biggest surprise standout (particularly since it is not really Japanese food in the traditional sense). If you're interested in either make sure you ask the RC concierge to reserve them well in advance!
Sadly I’m having concierge issues at the RC Kyoto too.

The concierge is bordering on being rude, over some very simple dietary requirements. They can’t seem to understand the difference been a vegan and a vegetarian, this wasn’t an issue for the Four Seasons Kyoto or the peninsula Tokyo.

they're also forgetting requests for activities. What’s the best way to contact the GM?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by newfrequent

Sadly I’m having concierge issues at the RC Kyoto too.

The concierge is bordering on being rude, over some very simple dietary requirements. They can’t seem to understand the difference been a vegan and a vegetarian, this wasn’t an issue for the Four Seasons Kyoto or the peninsula Tokyo.

they're also forgetting requests for activities. What’s the best way to contact the GM?
Are you asking for vegan or for vegetarian? In either event, what was recommended (by any of the concierges)?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:14 am

There is one vegetarian and one vegan, they just can’t understand the difference and seem to think one person will eat fish. After explaining neither a vegetarian or vegan would eat fish or meat, they rather abruptly told me that they knew what a vegetarian and vegan is, but then asked the difference between the vegan and vegetarian. You’d think they could google it.

RC Kyoto sent a PDF with vegetarian options, however a few of the links are broken. Happy to forward it.

The FS Kyoto sent me this last year:
Muromachi Wakuden - traditional Japanese kaiseki, 2* Michelin
Tempura Mizuki - tempura kaiseki, 1* Michelin (located in Ritz Carlton)
Tempra Kyoboshi - tempura kaiseki, 1* Michelin (only open on the 27th during your days)
Tosuiro - Kyoto-style tofu kaiseki
Shigetsu - shojin-ryori, or traditional Buddhist cuisine
Nanzenji Junsei - yodofu, a hot tofu dish characteristic of Kyoto
richarddd likes this.

Last edited by newfrequent; Sep 26, 2018 at 9:21 am
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:23 am

RC Kyoto sent a PDF with vegetarian options, however a few of the links are broken. Happy to forward it.

The FS Kyoto sent me this last year:
Muromachi Wakuden - traditional Japanese kaiseki, 2* Michelin
Tempura Mizuki - tempura kaiseki, 1* Michelin (located in Ritz Carlton)
Tempra Kyoboshi - tempura kaiseki, 1* Michelin (only open on the 27th during your days)
Tosuiro - Kyoto-style tofu kaiseki
Shigetsu - shojin-ryori, or traditional Buddhist cuisine
Nanzenji Junsei - yodofu, a hot tofu dish characteristic of Kyoto
If by vegetarian you mean you also do not eat seafood, I rather do not see the point of tempura. It is basically a counterpart to sushi, with the best restaurants using the same quality of ingredients. There are of course many vegetables, but those are an accompaniment to the seafood highlights - not the other way around. You of course may still want to experience it, but I would caution against paying the full omakase dinner price to only eat vegetables fried in tempura batter.

If you are lucky enough to be there during the season for wild mountain vegetables, or when othere vegetables such as lotus root are at their best, that is really something special however. It’s just a shame to also miss out on the main seafood highlights.

bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
If by vegetarian you mean you also do not eat seafood, I rather do not see the point of tempura. It is basically a counterpart to sushi, with the best restaurants using the same quality of ingredients. There are of course many vegetables, but those are an accompaniment to the seafood highlights - not the other way around. You of course may still want to experience it, but I would caution against paying the full omakase dinner price to only eat vegetables fried in tempura batter.

If you are lucky enough to be there during the season for wild mountain vegetables, or when othere vegetables such as lotus root are at their best, that is really something special however. It’s just a shame to also miss out on the main seafood highlights.

Certainly I'd be disappointed paying a full edomae tempura price for only the vegetable courses, but I disagree that there's no point to tempura for vegetarians. Tempura is probably the only style in which I enjoy the vegetables as much as the meat, and perhaps that's a big reason I've become such an edomae tempura junkie. IMO, vegetarians are always going to 'miss out' a bit (I even regretted the one time I opted for Grace's famed "Flora" menu rather than the regular one), but with edomae tempura, I feel like vegetarians can still get the full essence of the cooking style and enjoyment of the resultant product / umami / etc. and that's not something I can say for most cooking techniques.

I will mention that I have tried Tempura Kyoboshi (the one in Kyoto - assume that's the one on newfrequent's FS Kyoto list), and I wasn't super impressed as I found it hit-or-miss. Still good, though.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:25 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Discussing the strengths and weaknesses of a hotel concierge is perfectly appropriate to this thread. Discussing the extended details of a vegetarian and/or vegan and/or other cuisine menus at top restaurants in Kyoto is not. DiningBuzz threads for Japan seem more appropriate for where this discussion seems to be headed. Thanks.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Discussing the strengths and weaknesses of a hotel concierge is perfectly appropriate to this thread. Discussing the extended details of a vegetarian and/or vegan and/or other cuisine menus at top restaurants in Kyoto is not. DiningBuzz threads for Japan seem more appropriate for where this discussion seems to be headed. Thanks.
Totally agree, however did you have the GM contact in case things don’t improve with the concierge?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Totally agree, however did you have the GM contact in case things don’t improve with the concierge?
I do, but I wouldn’t just give that out unless I saw good reason. I don’t yet see good reason. I’m sorry. It feels more like cultural difference with restaurants not catering to dietary issues less than a concierge service fail thus far.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I do, but I wouldn’t just give that out unless I saw good reason. I don’t yet see good reason. I’m sorry. It feels more like cultural difference with restaurants not catering to dietary issues less than a concierge service fail thus far.
Indeed. In Japan the concept of vegetarianism is not even well understood, and it is not something that most serious restaurants care much about accommodating. I think the above list actually looks like a rather good start. The restaurants at FS, R-C etc. should also be well equipped to handle this request.

Frankly, I do not see a point in fretting about this at all, because a vegetarian diet precludes eating the speciality dishes at virtually all of the top restaurants in Japan anyway.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Indeed. In Japan the concept of vegetarianism is not even well understood...
Well yeah, they don't even have a native word for it. But that's still a separate issue from how luxury hotel concierges in Japan should be handling guests who have dietary restrictions.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Well yeah, they don't even have a native word for it. But that's still a separate issue from how luxury hotel concierges in Japan should be handling guests who have dietary restrictions.
On the contrary, I think the concierge who suggested the above options actually did very well. Japan is not New York or Southern California, so if one is expecting restaurants to bend over backwards to accommodate a vegetarian diet, that comes across as ridiculous to the chefs in the first place. The hotel restaurants will be more accommodating, and my advice would be to do some research by oneself in advance to find out how to find the best vegetarian options in Japan.

Locals who do not eat meat usually are doing so purely for dietary reasons, and not for ethical or religious reasons. Hence, many ostensibly meatless dishes will still be prepared with stock or other ingredients that are non-vegetarian. Most locals do not see the difference or care. Considering language barriers and cultural differences, I do not think it is fair to criticize concierge in this matter. Their job is primarily to make reservations and to offer suggestions to guests regarding sightseeing, shopping or other needs. They are not dieticians who are well versed in Western dietary lifestyle choices. Self research is the way to go.

I’ll leave it with this comment as this has been fully discussed re concierge performance. There is no concierge performance issue here. Further discussion about food belongs in the relevant fora such as Dining Buzz. There may well be information here on FT about vegetarian dining in Japan.

Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:52 am

Hi Mike,

I’m think you’re missing the point here. I haven’t asked any restaurants to bend over backwards, I haven’t asked anyone to adjust their menu at all.

The problem is the RC has been very unhelpful in communicatiating with restaurants that will serve vegetarian/vegan menus. That list was from the FS on my previous stay, the RC provided some other options that were much less interesting.

The RC explicitly told me bluntly that they won’t be able to accommodate me in their Tempura restaurant as a vegetarian. However the restaurant reservation team at the RC corrected the concierge and offered a vegan menu without me even mentioning it. I had previously had this menu when I was in Kyoto in December.

The RC concierge has ignored emails are requests for other activities and is bordering on rude. i have emailed quite a few other concierges in Japan and have never been spoken to in a similar manner.

I think it’s fair to expect a RC concierge to know what a vegetarian and vegan is. If some of Hoshinoyas Ryokans know what it is why can’t the RC.

On the contrary, I think the concierge who suggested the above options actually did very well. Japan is not New York or Southern California, so if one is expecting restaurants to bend over backwards to accommodate a vegetarian diet, that comes across as ridiculous to the chefs in the first place. The hotel restaurants will be more accommodating, and my advice would be to do some research by oneself in advance to find out how to find the best vegetarian options in Japan.

Locals who do not eat meat usually are doing so purely for dietary reasons, and not for ethical or religious reasons. Hence, many ostensibly meatless dishes will still be prepared with stock or other ingredients that are non-vegetarian. Most locals do not see the difference or care. Considering language barriers and cultural differences, I do not think it is fair to criticize concierge in this matter. Their job is primarily to make reservations and to offer suggestions to guests regarding sightseeing, shopping or other needs. They are not dieticians who are well versed in Western dietary lifestyle choices. Self research is the way to go.

I’ll leave it with this comment as this has been fully discussed re concierge performance. There is no concierge performance issue here. Further discussion about food belongs in the relevant fora such as Dining Buzz. There may well be information here on FT about vegetarian dining in Japan.

To put this in context I’ve asked for one Shojin Ryori reservation and the tempura restaurant at the hotel.
So resturants that are very friendly.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 28, 2018 at 6:39 am Reason: consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:19 am

Even if there were no vegetarian options anywhere in Japan, the concierge could have politely written that. According to the posts, the concierge was confused (which can happen), but then defensive and borderline rude, provided incorrect information about his own hotel and is not being helpful in other areas (which is a problem). Sounds like a concierge problem to me.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:35 am

Hi Mike,

I’m think you’re missing the point here. I haven’t asked any restaurants to bend over backwards, I haven’t asked anyone to adjust their menu at all.

The problem is the RC has been very unhelpful in communicatiating with restaurants that will serve vegetarian/vegan menus. That list was from the FS on my previous stay, the RC provided some other options that were much less interesting.

The RC explicitly told me bluntly that they won’t be able to accommodate me in their Tempura restaurant as a vegetarian. However the restaurant reservation team at the RC corrected the concierge and offered a vegan menu without me even mentioning it. I had previously had this menu when I was in Kyoto in December.

The RC concierge has ignored emails are requests for other activities and is bordering on rude. i have emailed quite a few other concierges in Japan and have never been spoken to in a similar manner.

I think it’s fair to expect a RC concierge to know what a vegetarian and vegan is. If some of Hoshinoyas Ryokans know what it is why can’t the RC.
These are fair points. However, I would not assume concierge is being rude. Often in Japan translation can come across as brusque when that is not intended. It is possible that the concierge has not communicated as clearly as they should have, but I highly doubt that the concierge of Ritz-Carlton Kyoto is intentionally being rude.

I would suggest contacting management instead of concierge, and also again to do your own research or have someone else do it for you.

Of course, one can have vegetarian tempura. However to locals that is quite like going out to a teppanyaki restaurant and wanting a vegetarian menu, or going to a sushi restaurant and not expecting to eat fish. Tempura is a seafood cuisine that also includes vegetables in between the featured items.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Sep 27, 2018 at 11:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.