Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Other than the Himeji tour screw-up, however, service overall at the hotel was truly excellent. While we loved the look of the Conrad hotel, we quickly discovered the differnce in service while dining there for lunch one day. It wasn't even close. The St. Regis service (and recognition) still were tops.
Too bad about the Conrad Osaka; I stayed there last year and felt that the service was poor all-around - a real shame given the hard product. The concierge in particular was awful; they seemed unmotivated and even sent us to a restaurant on the day it is closed every week . In case anyone else reading this thread is interested, I wrote briefly about my stay in a post over on the Hilton forums.

Thanks for the reviews and glad the StR was good. Personally though, I found Osaka pretty boring and when I visit the Kobe-Osaka-Kyoto area now I just stay in Kyoto the whole time.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:33 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by flapland
Great set of reviews for your trip to Japan bhrubin. We are back in Japan this Christmas/New Year and have now pushed the Prince Gallery up to the top of our list and seriously considering Surian. Last trip in 2017/18 we stayed at the Conrad Tokyo and Shangri La Tokyo as well as a more basic hotel apartment hotel in Kyoto.

Thanks again.
My pleasure! I cannot recommend Suiran enough--unless you really prefer the full trappings of a larger and more typical Western luxury hotel, that is. Please do report back on the Prince Gallery and Suiran if you do end up staying there!
Old May 26, 2018, 11:48 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by gengar
Too bad about the Conrad Osaka; I stayed there last year and felt that the service was poor all-around - a real shame given the hard product. The concierge in particular was awful; they seemed unmotivated and even sent us to a restaurant on the day it is closed every week . In case anyone else reading this thread is interested, I wrote briefly about my stay in a post over on the Hilton forums.
Well, at least it's gratifying to learn that our impression of the Conrad--amazing hard product and views, subpar service issues--is shared by someone like you who is even more familiar with it. Your post mimics the poor service we discovered.

The front desk agent who originally showed us the beautiful executive suite (a very spacious open plan junior suite that we very much liked) and around the property had previously worked at the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo. She clearly was a great hire--she was fantastic and knew how to provide service. But there it ended.

When trying to get lunch at Atmos around 1:45 pm, they first told us we'd have to wait until 2:30 pm--despite there being an obvious plethora of tables ready and waiting right in front of all of us. We persisted, and they said they'd "find" a table...only to then take us 10 min later through the restaurant--with plenty of tables ready for 2 persons--to the farthest space and in a table as far from the views and against the wall next to the serving stations as possible. It was patently ridiculous. We sat...and then immediately asked our server if we could move to one of the 4-5 empty tables against the window. She checked and then made that happen. The whole thing was a study in incompetence. We realized that the lunch beffet ended at 2:30 pm, so we believe they wanted to delay us so they could shut it down early. We didn't even order from the buffet, which made them visibly seem relieved. Really ridiculous.

Then we asked about one of the wines--and the server had no idea about it. There weren't that many wines by the glass on the menu, so I was surprised. She said she'd ask her manager...and then disappeared for almost 10 min. We ordered the wine from another server...and it was fine.

Those 2 experiences alone made us realize how subpar the service might be. Your review only reinforces that our realization was accurate. Always good to know our instincts are right! That being said, for anyone who likes a very modern hotel and doesn't spend a lot of time worrying about service, the Conrad could be a good deal/option.

Thanks for the reviews and glad the StR was good. Personally though, I found Osaka pretty boring and when I visit the Kobe-Osaka-Kyoto area now I just stay in Kyoto the whole time.
Certainly, we are dying to return to Kyoto (and the Suiran property) and not Osaka. We feel we've seen more than enough of Osaka. But still we liked Osaka more than we thought we might.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:39 am

My pleasure! I cannot recommend Suiran enough--unless you really prefer the full trappings of a larger and more typical Western luxury hotel, that is. Please do report back on the Prince Gallery and Suiran if you do end up staying there!
We will report back in just over 7 months(sadly I am counting). Suiran looks to be a good balance between the Japanese and Western styles so I think will be our last two nights before we fly out of Osaka Itami.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:55 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

So glad you had a great trip, bhrubin! And happy that the RC Kyoto turned things around for you.

Your albums bring back such fond memories of our trip from last year. Thanks for taking the time to put all of these thorough TR's together, as always.

Your meal photos have me flipping from "man, that makes me hungry" to "I feel full just seeing all this food" and back
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LM225
Your meal photos have me flipping from "man, that makes me hungry" to "I feel full just seeing all this food" and back
Haha thanks. I gained 7 lbs while in Japan. Diet already in progress. #wortheverypound #youonlyliveonce #liveitup #foodislove
Old May 30, 2018, 9:32 pm

Haha thanks. I gained 7 lbs while in Japan. Diet already in progress. #wortheverypound #youonlyliveonce #liveitup #foodislove
Old May 31, 2018, 8:58 am

Thank you for the detailed and lovely report! Sounds like you both had a great time while in Japan

Still remember way back when I told you that Japan is probably the single best country for food and that their restaurants are vastly underrated, hope this trip has made an impression!

I am likely heading to Kyoto in June and have decided to stay in the RC again. While I am not a big fan of their lobby, the FS's location just doesn't do it for me. Really liked the Arashiyama area but all my fav bars, restaurants, coffee shops are near the RC and they have the best location against all the competition though still not ideal.

I would like to give a thumbs up to the RC Concierge! Just gave them a list of restaurants and asked them to fit them into my schedule. They not only responded within 24 hours every time, they also managed to get some difficult reservations. Maybe i just lucked out but will have to give them a thumbs up!
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I would love to hear how a “regular” guest feels about this place, though I’d imagine that most will fall in love with Arashiyama much as we did. My Ambassador status was just icing on the cake, I think. If you go, definitely book Boruta for teppanyaki dinner and Kitcho for kaiseki!
We stayed one night in Suiran in Dec 2016 on points, in a perfectly nice room with a king bed. I was SPG Platinum and technically I was upgraded from the base "Suigetsu Moderate Twin Room" which cost us (at the time) 25k SPG points, but it was no suite.

I absolutely loved the blend of Westernized comforts and Japanese aesthetic. I personally would return in a heartbeat, and enjoyed my one evening in Suiran more than at the Park Hyatt Tokyo, Ritz Carlton Osaka, and definitely more than other upper-middle end hotels we stayed at during our trip like the Westin Kyoto and HR Tokyo.

I was not impressed with the concierge's ability to find us a restaurant booking, but we admittedly did not plan ahead, so I'll blame myself for that one. I sensed some attitude or aloofness from the check-in desk (fantastic English ability), but the free rickshaw transfer from JR Saga Arashiyama was fun.

I think comparing Arashiyama to Newport Beach is a bit of a disservice though. I live here in the area as well and yearn to go back because I think it's quite different!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ralphs
We stayed one night in Suiran in Dec 2016 on points, in a perfectly nice room with a king bed. I was SPG Platinum and technically I was upgraded from the base "Suigetsu Moderate Twin Room" which cost us (at the time) 25k SPG points, but it was no suite.

I absolutely loved the blend of Westernized comforts and Japanese aesthetic. I personally would return in a heartbeat, and enjoyed my one evening in Suiran more than at the Park Hyatt Tokyo, Ritz Carlton Osaka, and definitely more than other upper-middle end hotels we stayed at during our trip like the Westin Kyoto and HR Tokyo.

I was not impressed with the concierge's ability to find us a restaurant booking, but we admittedly did not plan ahead, so I'll blame myself for that one. I sensed some attitude or aloofness from the check-in desk (fantastic English ability), but the free rickshaw transfer from JR Saga Arashiyama was fun.
That’s so nice to hear. Thanks for sharing!

I think comparing Arashiyama to Newport Beach is a bit of a disservice though. I live here in the area as well and yearn to go back because I think it's quite different!
Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. I am not comparing Arashiyama to Newport Beach; I am observing that the contrast between Arashiyama and Kyoto is comparable to that between Newport Beach and Los Angeles.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
their restaurants are vastly underrated
News to me and to the hordes of visitors that go to Japan just for the food.
orbitmic and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
News to me and to the hordes of visitors that go to Japan just for the food.
And seems to be getting more popular every day! Reservations for some restaurants are so hard to come by these days
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Mods: my Expert Reviews for both the RC Kyoto and StR Osaka have disappeared. Can someone look into that tomorrow?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:11 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mods: my Expert Reviews for both the RC Kyoto and StR Osaka have disappeared. Can someone look into that tomorrow?
Currently they haven't disappeared but all the photos did and they were each in one huge post. Have asked Internet Brands people to fix this, I presume they are the ones who caused it.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:32 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
I'll ask someone to look into this, but FYI there is a technical support forum where issues should be posted -- otherwise it is highly unlikely anyone will see/respond to you:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...-feedback-386/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.