Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:12 am

Have stayed at RC but not Suiran. Given the locations, I don’t really find them comparable. It really depends on what you are in Kyoto for and how many days you have. If you can spare the time, I would recommend staying at Hoshinoya Kyoto on the Arashiyama side for one night and then the rest at either RC or FS
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Which is the better hotel for Kyoto? FS or RC? Off hand, it appears FS is newer and RC has a better location. RC also appears to have more F&B outlets.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Which is the better hotel for Kyoto? FS or RC? Off hand, it appears FS is newer and RC has a better location. RC also appears to have more F&B outlets.
Ritz-Carlton - better F&B.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

RC is definitely more polished for F&B but most likely you'll like to go out to eat. The location could be a wash.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:13 pm

Ritz-Carlton - better EVERYTHING!

I totally disliked the Four Seasons.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
Among hotels in Kanazawa, the Nikko is your best (and probably only) choice. If you get one of the two suite room categories, you'll be in decent shape...
How does the ANA Crowne Plaza compare?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:28 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KI-NRT

The one knock on the property (if it matters to you) is its location. The Suiran (and Hoshinoya Kyoto, which is close by) is definitely in a quaint area of Kyoto (at the base of Arashiyama), but it's a ways away from the main tourist centers (such as Gion). RC, FS and Westin Miyako are much more centrally located. That said, Kyoto is a relatively compact city, so as long as you avoid rush hour the Suiran really isn't TOO far from anywhere.
One of the high points of Suiran is that it's in a tranquil location, surrounded by lush flora and the soothing Hozu river...but also that it's still only a short train/taxi ride away from downtown. Tourist attractions in Kyoto are quite spread out anyway, so Suiran's slightly detached and bucolic setting feels relaxing after a busy day of sightseeing.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:51 am

Why eat in the hotel in Kyoto? There are so many great restaurants!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Yama no Chaya Ryokan in Hakone

Yama no Chaya

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Yama no Chaya

171 Tonosawa Hakone, Kanagawa Prefecture JP 250-0315

Wonderful Retreat in Hakone (27 Photos)

Yama no Chaya

This was my second visit to Yama no Chaya, and the ryokan never disappoints. My last visit was during the winter, so I was looking forward to the summer experience this time.

Check In

The ryokan only has about a dozen or so rooms, so check-in is a relaxed and quick affair. Upon arrival, I was greeted in the driveway and a staff member helped me bring my bags up to the reception area. After identifying myself and showing my passport, there were no other check-in formalities. I dropped off my shoes and was whisked away to my room to begin relaxing.

Service

Each room is assigned a room attendant, who caters to your needs during your stay. The room attendant is also responsible for serving your meals. Aside from this person, there is also a staff member who mans the bar, and service is quick. The room attendant also checks you out at the end of your stay, from within the comfort of your room. It's a wonderful system that makes you feel well taken care of. 

Room

I stayed in Special Room B, which includes an in-room onsen. All guests also have access to the shared onsen, according to the schedule (more on that later). As I was traveling by myself and this was a peak vacation period, I chose this room to be able to really unwind. The room included traditional yukata (a type of robe) to be worn around the property.

20170809_152439.jpg

The room consisted of several parts: the entryway, a toilet and sink, the covered onsen, the main room (which included the table and futon for sleeping), an indoor sitting area, and a small balcony. Because of the hot weather I made use of the indoor sitting area more than the outdoor, but both were pleasant.

20170809_153904.jpg

20170809_153823.jpg

20170809_153828.jpg

20170809_153831.jpg

20170809_153833.jpg

20170809_153836.jpg

20170809_153839.jpg20170809_153846.jpg

20170809_153848.jpg

20170809_153850.jpg

20170809_153914.jpg

20170809_153921.jpg

20170809_153928.jpg

Onsen

The bath where I spent the most time was the private bath included in my room. As I was the only user, I was able to get a few photos of the area. The entrance to this bath was located across from the sink. Each bath contained a large area for soaking, as well as showers for cleaning yourself before entering the bath.

20170809_153938.jpg

20170809_153943.jpg

I was also able to snap a few photos of some of the outdoor baths. There are 5 public baths available to guests at Yama no Chaya. Because it is customary to bathe nude, it was only possible to take a photograph when the bath was completely empty, so I only got a few. The public baths rotate on a set schedule between men and women. One of the public baths becomes private during certain times, guests can reserve it for blocks of one-hour.

20170810_071133.jpg

20170810_071137.jpg

20170810_071238.jpg

Dining

Each rate at the ryokan includes dinner and breakfast, with the option to purchase additional food and alcohol. The dinner is served as a traditional kaiseki meal, which consists of several small dishes arranged in an elaborate manner. The food is traditional, and the ingredients are high quality. Dinner also includes an option of either plain white or mixed rice.

20170809_182647.jpg

20170809_182830.jpg

20170809_190120.jpg

20170809_190923.jpg

20170809_192720.jpg

Breakfast involves a choice of Japanese or Western cuisine. The last time I visited, I had an amazing western style breakfast, so I wanted to see if the return would measure up. It did. Like the kaiseki the previous night, the ingredients were simple but tasted delicious. The corn potage in particular was wonderful.

20170810_084107.jpg

20170810_084340.jpg

20170810_084342.jpg

Yama no Chaya is located within walking distance of Hakone-Yumoto station, it's a great way to get a bit of exercise before lounging about for a day or two. If you're taking the Romancecar from Shinjuku, it's a very convenient option. Cabs are also available. Coming in on the Shinkansen to Odawara station, the ryokan is a convenient cab ride away.

The closest Hakone-Tozan line station (for exploring Hakone) is also Hakone-Yumoto, so it's easy to get out and about if you want to see more of the surrounding area.

Overall

I can say without a doubt that I've enjoyed both my visits to Yama no Chaya. While there are many ryokan in Hakone, I think you can't go wrong with this one. 

Wonderful Retreat in Hakone

Would you like to write a review on the Yama no Chaya?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Why eat in the hotel in Kyoto? There are so many great restaurants!
I agree that one should prioritize eating out, but hotel F&B is very important. Some of these hotel restaurants are seriously good in their own right, and after or before a long day of sightseeing, sometimes it’s nice and more relaxing to not have to go out.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I agree that one should prioritize eating out, but hotel F&B is very important. Some of these hotel restaurants are seriously good in their own right, and after or before a long day of sightseeing, sometimes it’s nice and more relaxing to not have to go out.
I can see that but haven't had the chance to try myself. Are the ones in RC Kyoto any good? If I were staying at the RC Kyoto and am dead tired, will probably still walk the 10 mins to Moritaya or Mishimatei for a good sukiyaki washed down with a couple of highballs. Then maybe a nightcap at Samboa!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:46 pm

I can see that but haven't had the chance to try myself. Are the ones in RC Kyoto any good? If I were staying at the RC Kyoto and am dead tired, will probably still walk the 10 mins to Moritaya or Mishimatei for a good sukiyaki washed down with a couple of highballs. Then maybe a nightcap at Samboa!
I think your plan sounds great. Save F&B at the hotel for whenever you might not want to go out, or skip it if you don’t have time for it. Ritz-Carlton has excellent F&B.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:06 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I emailed the Ritz Carlton Kyoto Concierge 5 days ago with some restaurant reservation requests for our 2 night stay (May 2018). Nothing. I’ve re-sent the email to both Guest Services and Concierge now.

This is in stark contrast to when I emailed the Suiran Concierge a few weeks ago on a Friday and had a response first thing Monday morning. I haven’t waited longer than a day or so for any response since, as well.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I emailed the Ritz Carlton Kyoto Concierge 5 days ago with some restaurant reservation requests for our 2 night stay (May 2018). Nothing. I’ve re-sent the email to both Guest Services and Concierge now.

This is in stark contrast to when I emailed the Suiran Concierge a few weeks ago on a Friday and had a response first thing Monday morning. I haven’t waited longer than a day or so for any response since, as well.
Seems like their concierge problems are endemic and not isolated to that one concierge person from the RC Kyoto thread. Senior management really should be made aware.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Will be at RC Kyoto pre & post Nemu in a few weeks .
Dining at their Japanese restaurant , Mizuki , after the return drive ..
Heard the restaurants are pretty decent , did not try them in April
For other restaurants , they need credit card information as the restaurants require them for confirmation

Their concierge team is helpful , but they have some language issues and tend to want to collate all information before replying .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.