Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:32 am

Kayotei, a ryokan in Ishikawa, was spectacular. And I say this even though I normally dislike anything resembling a guesthouse. The heavily wooded setting is so very lovely and the proprietors can arrange nature-oriented outings or day trips to Kanazawa.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

That's two for Kayotei!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Finally, is there a luxury hotel or ryokan in the vicinity of Hiroshima?
Stayed at the Iwaso on Miyajima last year and enjoyed. Leans more towards historic than luxury. We stayed in the SHUKINTEI cottage built in 1928. Yes, it does have AC. Highlight was the young lady assigned to service our room and serve meals, a total delight.

http://www.iwaso.com/english/

Last edited by schriste; Jun 8, 2017 at 8:41 am
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by schriste
Stayed at the Iwaso on Miyajima last year and enjoyed. Leans more towards historic than luxury. We stayed in the SHUKINTEI cottage built in 1928. Yes, it does have AC. Highlight was the young lady assigned to service our room and serve meals, a total delight.

http://www.iwaso.com/english/
Plus one for that place ^

Loved staying there
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:39 pm
THR

We are staying at Ryokusone in Kanazawa in two weeks. Shall report back!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Two separate friends of mine have visited and lived beniyu mukayu
Beniyu looks like great choice. Seems minimalist and maybe a bit more westernized than your traditional Ryokan (IE: Gora Kadan or Shiraume). Also the food looks amazing on Instagram.

I've been doing a lot of research on super high-end properties within a short (1-2 hour train ride) of Tokyo, I've found a brand new hotel no one has mentioned.

Hiramatsu Atami - Is a luxury Auberge / Resort. Looks like it just opened late last year. The Japanese villas have both indoor and outdoor baths facing the ocean.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by ultraman982
Beniyu looks like great choice. Seems minimalist and maybe a bit more westernized than your traditional Ryokan (IE: Gora Kadan or Shiraume). Also the food looks amazing on Instagram.

I've been doing a lot of research on super high-end properties within a short (1-2 hour train ride) of Tokyo, I've found a brand new hotel no one has mentioned.

Hiramatsu Atami - Is a luxury Auberge / Resort. Looks like it just opened late last year. The Japanese villas have both indoor and outdoor baths facing the ocean.
Seems a possibility .

Perhaps we can include along with Amanemu ( only 2 hours by car from Kyoto ) and RC Kyoto ; along with Aman Tokyo or MO
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:05 pm
THR

Originally Posted by ultraman982

That looks like a really good option. I wish I had seen this one earlier before we planned our trip.

Leave next Friday for:
* RC Tokyo
* Ryokusone Kanazawa
* RC Kyoto
* IC Osaka.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by THR
That looks like a really good option. I wish I had seen this one earlier before we planned our trip.

Leave next Friday for:
* RC Tokyo
* Ryokusone Kanazawa
* RC Kyoto
* IC Osaka.
All those choices look stellar. I had never seen Ryokusone before but it's proximity to Kanazawa has piqued my interest. Definitely report back as there's not that many English impressions of the place. Did you book via booking.com or the Japanese site?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:05 am
THR

Booked via Booking.com. They actually wouldn't allow direct booking.

I shall definitely report back, with photos.

For clarity, the RC and IC were not via booking.com

Last edited by THR; Jun 12, 2017 at 5:44 am
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:12 am
THR

I shan't be telling my SO that the reason for Ryokusone is to also travel on this

https://denshadejapan.wordpress.com/tag/gran-class/

But I did seriously have a tough time choosing a Ryokan-like place.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
We just wrapped up an incredible stay at Hakone-Ginyu and would highly recommend it.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:59 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by THR
Leave next Friday for:
* RC Tokyo
* Ryokusone Kanazawa
* RC Kyoto
* IC Osaka.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. We will be in Japan next May with stays at Prince Gallery Tokyo, Suiran Kyoto, RC Kyoto, and StR Osaka.

Some have cautioned me to not stay in both Kyoto properties and also to choose between Kyoto and Osaka. So I'll be curious to hear what you think.

I'm also curious what you think of Kanazawa. It's the only location I'd consider adding to our itinerary.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. We will be in Japan next May with stays at Prince Gallery Tokyo, Suiran Kyoto, RC Kyoto, and StR Osaka.

Some have cautioned me to not stay in both Kyoto properties and also to choose between Kyoto and Osaka. So I'll be curious to hear what you think.

I'm also curious what you think of Kanazawa. It's the only location I'd consider adding to our itinerary.
I'd much rather be in Kyoto than Osaka. Osaka is just another megacity metropolis but Kyoto has so many historical things to see.

Kanazawa isn't so much off the beaten path anymore with the Shinkansen going there but the city is the center of Japanese lacquerware and gold leaf. Also home to one of the top 3 Japanese gardens in the country. I adore the city.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I'd much rather be in Kyoto than Osaka. Osaka is just another megacity metropolis but Kyoto has so many historical things to see.

Kanazawa isn't so much off the beaten path anymore with the Shinkansen going there but the city is the center of Japanese lacquerware and gold leaf. Also home to one of the top 3 Japanese gardens in the country. I adore the city.
Do you think the garden is worth visiting in January, which is not exactly typical garden season?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.