Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

American Dude Ranch Resorts: Recent Experiences?

American Dude Ranch Resorts: Recent Experiences?

Old Aug 18, 2021, 12:51 pm
Original Member

https://slh.com/hotels/rawah-ranch
Ericka likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:27 pm

Is Rawah Ranch open? It looked like zero availability through 2022 and beyond.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 3:20 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by op487062
Is Rawah Ranch open? It looked like zero availability through 2022 and beyond.
There are only nine rooms so
Old Aug 19, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by KatW
There are only nine rooms so …
My guess is that they just haven't loaded availability for anything past... September maybe? There are dates available in August (3 nights) and September (3 nights). And there are multiple rooms available at each of those times. I don't buy that they are 100% sold out for the next 2 years except for 3 nights in each of the next 2 months.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mickidon
Very legitimate question, one I can't really answer as I would not likely return. The star of the show, by a country mile, is the food/chef. The property just opened and has jitters and is physically not totally ready...they are still constructing a few houses and the landscaping is not
complete. Or even really started. But the chef has the kitchen together and we enjoyed the ambitious, interesting menu for a few days. Guests are provided with Lexus hybrids to get around from point to point and the juxtapostion of luxury cars next to corrals seemed off. The siting of the homes is
in a forested area with none of the beautiful vistas available in some of the regular Paws Up accommodations. I'm not sure of the point of the "Tree Haus" as there isn't much but the top of trees to be seen. The houses are comfortable and influencer ready with porch swings and a fireplace but
they aren't as private as one would expect....our hot tub was next to the road for utility vehicles. As well, style trumped function in a few cases, including a triple length trough sink (it would take forever to fill this up for shaving if one was inclined) with no mirror facing it. The mirror and limited shelf space was on the left wall.

What to do? We did a few random activities, took a hike, got massages, read on the deck and wondered why we paid so much for this stay. As noted above, most activities come with a charge and, as with every property on earth, staffing shortages made availability limited. The centerpiece shared building was basically a dining room and managers seemed to come out of the back area but no welcome lounge or space not filled with tables. I heard from an insider that the first few weeks were challenging and they definitely have to work on how things are done...for example, on our departure
after this very pricey stay, the MOD didn't even come out to say goodbye. Our luggage was in the car and that was it. Although we didn't stay there, the Magee section of Brush Creek has a pool, so there is something right on property. Here, not so much. It's a WIP, but the price point is too high
for what is provided, IMO. I will say, however, that the staff we did encounter both here and at Paws Up were absolutely delightful.
So great to find a review of the Green O on FT! Eyeing it for an October / November honeymoon (pending availability). Thank you soooo much for posting.

Which haus did you stay in? Any recommendation?

Did you happen to take any pictures of the haus and facilities? I'm perplexed by the lack of real photos on their website - tons of beautiful renderings, but now that the property has been open for ~2 months, I'd expect some real pictures

In terms of the landscaping not being complete, how bad would you say? 50% complete, 75% complete, etc...
Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:01 am

Smile

Originally Posted by benjinito
So great to find a review of the Green O on FT! Eyeing it for an October / November honeymoon (pending availability). Thank you soooo much for posting.

Which haus did you stay in? Any recommendation?

Did you happen to take any pictures of the haus and facilities? I'm perplexed by the lack of real photos on their website - tons of beautiful renderings, but now that the property has been open for ~2 months, I'd expect some real pictures

In terms of the landscaping not being complete, how bad would you say? 50% complete, 75% complete, etc...
First of all, congratulations! We didn't see any honeymooning couples during our stay, but maybe that is a target group, as there is a mirror over the bed, a Poconos like touch that didn't thrill me but YMMV. We stayed in the Green Haus, which was quite comfortable. The interior is well represented in the renderings but the roof sitting area is silly, with a chair next to some mechanicals. I didn't see any of the other units but, to my eye, the Round Haus looks a bit more closed in and maybe harder to live in with the odd flow. As mentioned previously, the Tree Haus probably doesn't offer much more of a view, but it may add some privacy. The homes are really not that far from each other but take a look at the website diagram that shows locations and go for one away from the road (used by service vehicles sparingly) and make sure that you are not near any construction. I didn't hear any, but work was going on in earnest on both sides of the property.

Since the Green O is located in a wooded area, I am not sure what kind of landscaping to expect. There were stumps, some piles of rocks and debris, but it didn't really matter. Perhaps some of the paths will be paved, rather than the stones now in place. And I do hope they
fix the steps in the front, which are lovely to look at but require giant steps to traverse up or down. There are no facilities or pool or anything else planned as far as I know, so I don't think the landscaping now should be of great concern, other than not being perfect for IG shots....something I believe they designed the homes to accommodate.

A lot of the newness created some kinks, with our fireplace having to be fixed almost daily and the safe not working. They really want this place to be a jewel but, so far, only the dining room is A level...I'm sure adjustments will be made by the time you arrive. Sorry, but I am not much of a
photographer, but happy to answer any more questions you might have. If you are up for the activities, especially equestrian ones, you can happily fill your days but be aware you will be hopping into a Lexus Hybrid to and fro to get to them.
benjinito likes this.

Last edited by Mickidon; Aug 24, 2021 at 8:05 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:42 pm

I will repeat my earlier caution on Nimmo: we did manage to book (YOLO) but they are now almost entirely sold out for 2022. I think there was (as of last week) one cabin available for two weeks. Or something like that. If you want to go, book now.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:13 pm
Original Member

Nimmo is not a dude ranch — no horses, no cattle. It’s a special experience in nature but not a dude ranch.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 5:24 am

I looked at Nimmo recently, and for August/September (peak season) it's over $4k per night for two people. I figured if you're going to be there, you should experience the helicopter tour, and "sea safari" tour. That elevates the price an additional $4k. Stay there 6 nights and that's about $28k. Is the experience/activities on par with that price point?
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by KatW
Nimmo is not a dude ranch no horses, no cattle. Its a special experience in nature but not a dude ranch.
I am well aware of that, and I commented on potential thread drift above. Another poster was interested, so I added the information. If mods like, feel free to delete.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ridefar
I am well aware of that, and I commented on potential thread drift above. Another poster was interested, so I added the information. If mods like, feel free to delete.
Seems to me that it's close enough to be allowed to stay. If anyone disagrees strongly, drop the mods a note and we'll reconsider.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.