Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doha

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I go every year in November to Doha. I have continued to stay at FS for the location, rooms, and service. Nothing spectacular, but have checked out ritz, st Regis and grand Hyatt in years past and prefer FS.but this is business. Not sure I'd go for p,erasure unless a very brief stopover. The museum is nice!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
You might look at Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels, a collection of half a dozen small properties spread throughout the souq.

These are not luxury properties, but are just about the only place in Doha (along with the Sharq Village) that have a "not anywhere in the world" feel. A few of them are upscale with some character, though, typical of Qatar, expect mediocre service and cheap finishings.

If you're on a short trip, it's a good option because you are right in the souq, the main attraction in which to wander around, and also within walking distance of the Museum of Islamic Art (and close to the airport, for what it's worth).

They're alcohol-free, unfortunately.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I go once a year for business. Have tried other hotels but still think FS the best. I would not highly recommend Doha for more than a couple days. Museum is great. Beaches and sea not so great. Oil ridden.....but then weather good in cold European times. I just am not a big fan but I do love staying at the FS when I need to be there. Good location, good service, and a nice Asian restaurant - my favorite in Doha. I tried the ritz, the st Regis and Hyatt. Back to FS for all the good reasons.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Guys does anyone here recommend more than a day in Doha ?

I have a 2am flight to DXB then to MAD in March and was wondering whether to arrive at 5am the day before (21 hours transit) or a day before that ?

The 21 hour option probably enough ?

Is there much to see beyond the Islamic Museum ?
Any restaurant recommendations ?
Alain Ducasse has a restaurant within the museum ?

I think the hotel has to be the FS based on what has been mentioned in this thread ?

Cheers
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
The only place I recommend (other than the dated Marriott only for its proximity to the airport for meetings) is lacigale. My favorite hotel in Qatar.

Avoid the Oryx Rotana at all costs. Decent facilities, horrible service/food/etc. My wife had a horrible masseuse, got food poisoning, and it was only a one night two day trip.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Nizar
Guys does anyone here recommend more than a day in Doha ?

I have a 2am flight to DXB then to MAD in March and was wondering whether to arrive at 5am the day before (21 hours transit) or a day before that ?

The 21 hour option probably enough ?

Is there much to see beyond the Islamic Museum ?
Any restaurant recommendations ?
Alain Ducasse has a restaurant within the museum ?

I think the hotel has to be the FS based on what has been mentioned in this thread ?

Cheers
Stay at the FS. Get a good nights sleep and get out of town. The airport lounge is the best part of Qatar.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:14 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
I like to stay in LHW hotels. Which one is better, The Torch or La Cigale?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DUflyer
I like to stay in LHW hotels. Which one is better, The Torch or La Cigale?
One of them (I forget which) is a dry hotel (if that is relevant to you).
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by LondonElite
One of them (I forget which) is a dry hotel (if that is relevant to you).
Thanks. I think it is the torch, but I can't think of a reason why this would make a difference to me...
Old May 2, 2016, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DUflyer
Thanks. I think it is the torch, but I can't think of a reason why this would make a difference to me...
The only reason would be if you like to have an alcoholic drink! If you are teetotal, it won't make a difference.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: Some
Any thoughts on the SL or the newly refurbed RC? I have a Deluxe Suite at SL and an Executive Suite at the RC for a similar price at the moment. Happy to also consider elsewhere if someone tells me both are horrendous, but those seem to be the best value options for my dates.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Hi all;

we have four nights in Doha on the way back from our Honeymoon in February. We were going to fly out to the maldives but thats more hassle than its worth now. For 4 nights, a hotel with a decent pool, decent F&B etc (not dry). We really just plan to relax in the sun for a few days . I had thought about the FS but the pool (just going by the photos) looks like it will be in the shade most of the day. all suggestions welcome, thanks

Last edited by irish mark; Nov 7, 2017 at 9:36 pm
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by irish mark
Hi all;

we have four nights in Doha on the way back from our Honeymoon in February. We were going to fly out to the maldives but thats more hassle than its worth now. For 4 nights, a hotel with a decent pool, decent F&B etc (not dry). We really just plan to relax in the sun for a few days . I had thought about the FS but the pool (just going by the photos) looks like it will be in the shade most of the day. all suggestions welcome, thanks
I'll be there later this month, I'll let you know about the pools. You do know there's a variety of different pools, so chances are you will be able to catch some sun?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
thanks; we were looking at the FS ; Kempinski (the peal) and the St Regis (it looks like it has a nice pool) but am open to all options...
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by irish mark
thanks; we were looking at the FS ; Kempinski (the peal) and the St Regis (it looks like it has a nice pool) but am open to all options...
Stayed at St. Regis for an overnight last month. Great pool and great food ! We were in the Astor Terrace room which was fine, not spectacular. Build quality and wear is already showing even though hotel isn't that old. We took Uber around Doha which was convenient.

Service was friendly but not over the top. We also had massage at Remede spa which was good.

The pool is huge and has sun all day so if that is what you are coveting, then it should be fine.

Not sure I could stay in Doha for 4 days..could get a bit boring.
​​​​

​​​​​
Yoshi212 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.