Wiki Posts
Search

George Clooney calls for boycott of Brunei owned hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:18 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

George Clooney calls for boycott of Brunei owned hotels

Due to the Sultan of Brunei instituting new laws that call for the death by stoning of anyone convicted of committing either adultery or gay sex in Brunei, the actor George Clooney has called for a worldwide boycott of all hotels owned by the Brunei investment agency. This includes the Beverly Hills hotel, the Bel-air, the Meurice, and the Dorchester.

Here's a CNN article with more information about Clooney's proposed boycott:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/29/asia/...ntl/index.html
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:46 am

Edward Mady, GM and various corporate functions for Dorchester Collection, whom I value as a fine GM and leader, has recently deactivated various of his social media accounts. I wonder if this is related to this.

It is a tragedy that in this and age, basic human rights can so blatantly ignored, and lives are destroyed.

I remember a few years ago when Ellen Degeneres and Lilli Bosse advocated this boycott for the same reason and media attention formed around the hotels, many thought that eventually only the teams in respective properties would suffer, which is sadly correct. Morals certainly come at a cost, but the price of ignoring the same is disastrous — in the end we should do what’s right.

I wish the ownership situation would be different and the wonderful hotels and teams around the world could finally be relieved of the burden of this awful regime.

However I would not recommend indulging in finding out who are owning entities of various luxury hotels around the world, as the usual suspects pop up: Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Syria. The profits of many favorites here invariably end up in various countries, where similar problems could be seen. And lastly, ‘Golden Rule’ company Four Seasons’ Damascus property is not only one of the region’s notoriously most profitable, it was also recently sold to a business man linked to Al Assad.
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by scented; Mar 31, 2019 at 6:52 am
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:12 am

I hate to say it, because I love some of the properties, but they are most emphatically a no go for me
because of this. I am not normally particularly sensitive to questionable ownership of hotels or other businesses, but this is completely unacceptable.

The good news is that in virtually all Dorchester locations there are far better options in town. But even the really good properties are not getting one cent from me henceforth.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I hate to say it, because I love some of the properties, but they are most emphatically a no go for me
because of this. I am not normally particularly sensitive to questionable ownership of hotels or other businesses, but this is completely unacceptable.

The good news is that in virtually all Dorchester locations there are far better options in town. But even the really good properties are not getting one cent from me henceforth.
Totally agree.

Though I do find Dorchester in Los Angeles dominates the entire market, despite Peninsula and Waldorf.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Add to the list the Grand Hyatt Singapore Hotel, which is also owned by Brunei Investment Agency
MikeFromTokyo, scented and atojbk like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
who cares what he thinks
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Elton John speaks out in support of the boycott
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...i-owned-hotels
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I really don't care what some pompous celebrity thinks, I will however avoid the Dorchester in London because it's a lousy place to stay haha.
Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Add to the list the Grand Hyatt Singapore Hotel, which is also owned by Brunei Investment Agency
Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur too.
MikeFromTokyo and atojbk like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fotographer
who cares what he thinks
Normally, I don’t care what any celebrity thinks. But in this instance I agree with George. I’m not going to spend my money at a hotel owned by someone with such abhorrent values.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if boycotting, have to boycott many other problematic countries

funny that no one has mentioned boycotting any of the below

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
abu dhabi - FS, rosewood, PH, RC ; Lanesborough, edition LON/MIA/NYC, 50% viceroy brand
dubai - al maha, PH ; O&O wolgan, O&O brand, 73% MO NY, 50% singita kruger
qatar owns a lot >
florence - FS, st regis
paris - peninsula, raffles monceau, IC le grand
london - connaught, claridges, berkeley, fairmont savoy, IC
singapore - raffles
doha - RC, RC sharq
san francisco - st regis
rome - st regis, westin, IC/RF
venice - gritti
started because of labor union, not LGBT >
buzzfeednews.com/article/lesterfeder/how-a-los-angeles-labor-union-orchestrated-a-boycott-of-the
"Stories need a hook," said a spokesperson for UNITE HERE Local 11. The union had been fighting the Beverly Hills Hotel and the Hotel Bel-Air for over a year

UNITE HERE Local 11 spokeswoman Leigh Shelton told BuzzFeed that the union began trying

feud stretching back to the 1990s, when the union was shut out

"Stories need a hook," Shelton said. "I just don't think it had a hook at the time."

longtime LGBT and labor activist Cleve Jones
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleve_Jones
He is a driving force behind the Sleep With The Right People campaign, which aims to convince LGBT tourists to stay only in hotels that respect the rights of their workers.[11] Another part of Jones's work with UNITE HERE is making the labor movement more open to LGBT members.
easy to find articles from LGBT discussing how unions are incredibly bigoted
ridefar and jbeans like this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 31, 2019 at 10:27 am
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:26 am

What about the Corinthia Group, with major money from Libya and Dubai? I will still stay here, but know it was problematic for many. It's hard to know where to draw lines
when the ownership is not front and center, as it is with the Sultan's hotels.

I am conflicted by the losses that will be felt by the staffs of these hotels, while the Sultan is unlikely to feel either the scorn or financial impact. My hope is that this boycott (which I will support), shines a light on this discrimination and allows more productive ways to protest. I would start with the World Cup in Qatar - now THAT would have an impact.
Sealink likes this.

Last edited by Mickidon; Mar 31, 2019 at 11:03 am Reason: to add
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Member

Several Points

The Sultan is the absolute ruler of Brunei. He personally is responsible for the institution of sharia law in that country. Yes, other repressive regimes are guilty of gross crimes against humanity yet this is a case where loathsome policy can be tied directly to one man.

Does it matter that it is reported that the initial call for the boycott, at least in LA, was issued by a union? Not in my book. The insinuation here is that the union is disingenuous because their real beef is the non-union status of the BHH and anti-union practices at Hotel Bel-Air. Then, too, there is the suggestion that the union is two-faced because it doesn't really care about LGBT rights because unions in general are bigoted. This is anti-union rhetoric and, yes, some unions have engaged in blatant racism, sexism and bias in the past. The labor movement has its historical demons but that should not invalidate the many gains and protections it has won for workers. Today the labor movement sides firmly with civil rights for all societal sectors.

I will respect the boycott although I do not think boycotts are effective in making positive change, especially in this case against one of the world's richest people. He is not likely to feel or care about the financial impact. It could be hoped that public shaming and execrable PR might have an effect but I doubt it because this is the man who personally made sharia the law of his land.

If the boycott is at all effective, it would be good if those supporting or respecting it were to establish a fund to assist in the living costs of workers who lose jobs as a result.
lb8001 and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
if boycotting, have to boycott many other problematic countries

funny that no one has mentioned boycotting any of the below

started because of labor union, not LGBT >
buzzfeednews.com/article/lesterfeder/how-a-los-angeles-labor-union-orchestrated-a-boycott-of-the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleve_Jones

easy to find articles from LGBT discussing how unions are incredibly bigoted
Are people here going to stop staying at 4S because of Saudi ownership? Fat chance.

IMHO, that is equally merited as boycotting Brunei owned hotels. And they are both pretty merited.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
Are people here going to stop staying at 4S because of Saudi ownership? Fat chance.

IMHO, that is equally merited as boycotting Brunei owned hotels. And they are both pretty merited.
Not in any way equivalent. It takes a lot to shock me, and I draw the line here with Brunei Investment Agency/Dorchester Collection hotels.
Sealink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.