Manila- Best hotel for business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
If in BGC, the new Ascott is decent.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Local resident rates are not uncommon. It's a form of price discrimination that maximizes revenue for hotels and resorts. Locals who would not necessarily be willing and able to pay published rates can stay at discounted rates subject to availability and at the hotel's discretion. This enables them to maintain high rates for their target markets, but still sell rooms that would otherwise go empty to those who qualify for local resident rates.

Official identification is usually required to prove eligibility, unless one is obviously a local citizen.

These rates are especially common in countries where there is a disparity in the average income level and/or price sensitivity between foreign and domestic markets.
Thanks for that information, I was unaware of that.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by m.photog
Thanks for that information, I was unaware of that.
Slightly off topic, but if I'm understanding this correctly Amanpulo actually has the opposite, whereby there are certain taxes included for local residents yet excluded for tourists.

Rates are subject to a service charge of 10%.
Rates are subject to 10% service charge and 12% government tax for Philippine nationals and residents only.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:37 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of the top Manila hotels also manage to rip off a fair amount on currency conversions as well, I just went with the flow, got tired of arguing. Apparently there are ways to avoid it by prepayment but I never managed to figure out how.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Slightly off topic, but if I'm understanding this correctly Amanpulo actually has the opposite, whereby there are certain taxes included for local residents yet excluded for tourists.
I don't know about that, but when local resident rates are available I have heard they are significantly lower than published rates, so still cheaper even if other taxes are included.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I don't know about that, but when local resident rates are available I have heard they are significantly lower than published rates, so still cheaper even if other taxes are included.
Yes, it's not uncommon for residents rates to be (significantly) lower in some countries. Based on my experience it's somewhat of a cultural thing in certain Asian countries whereas in NA it's typically related to encouraging stays during off-season.

And some countries indeed classify accommodation as an "exempt supply" for the purposes of tax / VAT assessment when provided to foreigners / non-nationals in order to encourage tourism (e.g. I know for sure this is the case in Israel, not sure about the Philippines).
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
I have stayed multiple times at the Shangri-la and the Peninsula.
I much prefer the Peninsula. However, the restaurants at the Shang are better.

Service and friendliness at the Peninsula are excellent. Particularly the CLUB level rooms with CLUB access.

Sometimes EXPEDIA has rates that exceed corporate rates or the PEN web site
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Any recent opinion on Pan Pacific and Marco Polo? Can't justify insane price of Marriott/Sheraton, so thinking of alternatives. I have Black status with GHA, though not sure of their treatment in Philippines.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by traveler18
I have stayed multiple times at the Shangri-la and the Peninsula.
I much prefer the Peninsula. However, the restaurants at the Shang are better.

Service and friendliness at the Peninsula are excellent. Particularly the CLUB level rooms with CLUB access.

Sometimes EXPEDIA has rates that exceed corporate rates or the PEN web site
Which SL? There are 2 or 3?

I personally like the SL at the Fort (I am assuming that is the one you are talking about given the restaurant comment...). Great service if you are in a suite (with access to lounge for breakfast and cocktails), one of the best gyms in SE Asia, good food, decent pool area. Pricing and value means different things to different people but it seems like pretty good value to me as well.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Any recent opinion on Pan Pacific and Marco Polo? Can't justify insane price of Marriott/Sheraton, so thinking of alternatives. I have Black status with GHA, though not sure of their treatment in Philippines.
None are great but The Pen is the best IMHO.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I love the ManilaPen. It's probably the worst Peninsula in the system, and as mentioned the suites are outdated, but I always have a nice stay there and I love the Philippines in general.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by speedbird001
None are great but The Pen is the best IMHO.
No status with the chain and I never heard they offer matches, so it won't be a good deal for me. If I at all start considering 200 USD/night range (which is just insane for Philippines IMO), I rather book a Marriott and have Suite and Club access given. Or ask for a match to Diamond with Hilton and book Conrad.

But I rather think of something about 100 USD/night in this case. Which leaves me with IHG (and in Manila all their hotels are hopeless) or GHA. (The only other chain would be Shangri-la, but it doesn't match AFAIK, or even if they do, Jade will be useless.)
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
No status with the chain and I never heard they offer matches, so it won't be a good deal for me. If I at all start considering 200 USD/night range (which is just insane for Philippines IMO), I rather book a Marriott and have Suite and Club access given. Or ask for a match to Diamond with Hilton and book Conrad.

But I rather think of something about 100 USD/night in this case. Which leaves me with IHG (and in Manila all their hotels are hopeless) or GHA. (The only other chain would be Shangri-la, but it doesn't match AFAIK, or even if they do, Jade will be useless.)
AFAIK Peninsula doesn't have a loyalty program.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:37 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM

The Pen has exceptional service!
Booking through a preferred agent (Pen Club) can get you breakfast, upgrade, flexible check in and check out times, and some onsite discounts.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
AFAIK Peninsula doesn't have a loyalty program.
You are right, I did not even think of such possibility LOL.

They are on the Visa Luxury Collection program though, which offers a list of benefits, but no availability for my dates with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.