Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz Paris (reopened June, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL
Tipping & service charges, Ritz Paris Vendôme

Hey everyone—I'm staying at the Ritz Paris for a few nights this fall, but this will be my first time there. Like any nervous, tipping-accustomed American, I'm wondering what's normal tipping for service there. Is it standard French tipping (10%/a few Euros for special requests)? Or is it even less customary than that? I'm thinking specifically of a place like Claridge's, where a discretionary fee is included in lieu of tipping the hotel staff.

(Also, any tips for getting the most out of the hotel post-renovation would be much appreciated!)
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I believed service charge is included. And no tipping is required. Service is uniformly top notch at this hotel regardless across all departments during my stay. The only person I tipped during my stay was the hotel driver.

You will definitely enjoy your stay! The Ritz Paris is a destination by itself and quite possibility one of the finest luxury hotel in the world.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
You mustn´t be too afraid about tipping. Also I cannot talk about Ritz in particular, it´s not a big theme in France. I do the same I do all over Europe. A Little tipp for the maid, something for the doorman etc. I also give at restaurants, mostly 10 or 20 € (with bills normally between 200 and 500 €).
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Just stop to admire the small, many intricate details that went into the Ritz renewal. I would follow offerendum's advice.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:49 am

Wife and I are considering 2-3 nights here at the end of our Paris/Bordeax trip this November. We'd really like a WOW experience the last few nights and part of that is a great view.

It doesn't look like the Ritz delivers on that front? Some TripAdvisor reviews mention being able to see the Eiffel Tower from a small balcony but I can't find anything of the sort on the Ritz website.

Do any Ritz rooms have a great view of the city and Eiffel Tower in the distance?

Thanks,
Josh
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:05 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by jmann2380
Wife and I are considering 2-3 nights here at the end of our Paris/Bordeax trip this November. We'd really like a WOW experience the last few nights and part of that is a great view.

It doesn't look like the Ritz delivers on that front? Some TripAdvisor reviews mention being able to see the Eiffel Tower from a small balcony but I can't find anything of the sort on the Ritz website.

Do any Ritz rooms have a great view of the city and Eiffel Tower in the distance?

Thanks,
Josh

You would not book the Ritz Paris for Eiffel Tower views. Many of the rooms face east over the Place Vendome. Other face Cambon Street.

For some WOW views in a wonderful hotel, consider a Eiffel Tower view room at the Shangri-La Paris ... or perhaps the Plaza Athenee. Some of their new suites have a direct-on view of the Eiffel Tower, but all the rooms on avenue Montaigne will have a view looking towards the south.
Travlur likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by DavidO
You would not book the Ritz Paris for Eiffel Tower views. Many of the rooms face east over the Place Vendome. Other face Cambon Street.

For some WOW views in a wonderful hotel, consider a Eiffel Tower view room at the Shangri-La Paris ... or perhaps the Plaza Athenee. Some of their new suites have a direct-on view of the Eiffel Tower, but all the rooms on avenue Montaigne will have a view looking towards the south.
Ok thanks DavidO. Doesn't need to be a direct-on view of the Eiffel Tower, but just a great city view with it in the distance would do. Such as the one that Le Meurice has. And it looks like Le Bristol has similar as well.

I'm trying to book through the Chase UR portal to use up a ton of points I have, which does let you book suites and higher level rooms, but the results are anything but consistent. Sometimes Le Meurice shows up and I have seem Shangri-La once but not currently. The Ritz though seems to be regularly available.

We might just book out of pocket for those last two nights to get exactly what we want.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:04 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I agree with DavidO: the views from the Shangri-La Paris are sensational -- the best, I believe, of any of the city's 5-star properties. I haven't stayed there for a while, so can't attest to how the rooms and service are faring, but when I was there several years ago, all was very good, and dinner at L'Abeille especially so.
Pierre&Cédric and uggboy like this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Groombridge
I agree with DavidO: the views from the Shangri-La Paris are sensational -- the best, I believe, of any of the city's 5-star properties. I haven't stayed there for a while, so can't attest to how the rooms and service are faring, but when I was there several years ago, all was very good, and dinner at L'Abeille especially so.
Ok appreciate it the feedback. I think we are narrowed down to a Shangri La Terrace Eiffel View room for ~1650/nt or the Ritz Junior Suite using Chase UR points.

Proving to be a tough decision. I feel like the experience of the Ritz will be better but the view from the Shangri La will be unforgettable.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by jmann2380
but the view from the Shangri La will be unforgettable.
I will stay at the Shangri-La in a few weeks but didn´t book the view. I´m simply not ready to pay for it the prices they claim. With same suite I would maximum pay 100 per night as I think views are overrated. As long as I don´t look in an ugly backyard it´s OK. But I know, many thinks different......
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:29 pm

So I noticed L'Espadon at the Ritz has 2 Michelin stars for its dinner menu and 1 star for its lunch menu. Isn't it unusual for Michelin to award different ratings to a restaurant depending on lunch or dinner service? I had always believed the rating was given to a restaurant as a whole. For example, Le Cinq was given 3 stars recently and Michelin did not distinguish between breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:25 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
So I noticed L'Espadon at the Ritz has 2 Michelin stars for its dinner menu and 1 star for its lunch menu. Isn't it unusual for Michelin to award different ratings to a restaurant depending on lunch or dinner service? I had always believed the rating was given to a restaurant as a whole. For example, Le Cinq was given 3 stars recently and Michelin did not distinguish between breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Looks like Michelin counts the restaurant as two distinctive spaces:

One for lunch:

https://www.viamichelin.ie/web/Resta...n-507697-41102

One for dinner:

https://www.viamichelin.ie/web/Resta...don-5756-41102

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
We stayed at the Ritz Paris last June. We loved it. I thought the redo was beautiful. It is not to everyone's taste, but I don't think anyone could say it wasn't really well done given its original style. ( IMO anyway&#128526!

L'Espadon ( the moan restaurant) has two distinct and different menus for lunch and dinner so I understand the difference in stars. We did not eat lunch there but had a marvelous dinner. It is quite formal but the food was fantastic and the service top notch. The chef came out and talked to the guests - even took us on a tour of the kitchen and introduced us to his staff. They have also turned what was their central garden ( not where their second restaurant is) into an area where you can have drinks with beautiful alcove booths and tables and chairs. Before it was just a garden. In June it was a great way to start the evening with drinks outside before sauntering into L'Espadon for a delicious dinner.

I highly recommend for a stay and/or dinner as long as you are looking for a more formal French dining experience, but with some innovation in their food!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:13 pm

Thank you both for the explanation about L'Espadon!

@Larkin How did you find the Ritz compared to other Palace status hotels in Paris? I've only stayed at FSGV (which I thought excellent at the time), but several reviews in this forum seem to indicate the Ritz being a level higher just because of the massive scale of the renovation ($450 million). I will say I'm a sucker for classical opulence, so it looks like it will be hard for any property to beat the Ritz. Comparing the rooms and suites, I definitely find a greater wow factor at the Ritz than any other property in Paris.

On a different note, I remember a few posters were wondering about the lack of a jacuzzi in the pool area. I was told there are jets in the two little seating areas off to the side but within the pool itself. I'm not sure how extensive the jets are, so maybe someone who's used the pool can answer properly.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Loved the Ritz I must say! I was a Plaza Athenee person before they closed for renovation, but have stayed at all - 4S, Bristol, Crillon, Maurice, MO, etc. ( not shangri la or Pen I should say). I was not sure if I'd like it but I loved the Ritz. Thought it might not be my style but I will stay again!

Regards the pool, I am a swimmer but paid no attention to jacuzzi! Space cadet me. Just ran down to swim each day and back to room. Spa lovely but did not hAve time to use ( shame on me). Gym also looked great but did not use ( tripLe shame on me) Pool gorgeous! I will next time not book a busy schedule as this is a hotel I'd really like to enjoy just being there with a few diversions. My only complaint was we were too busy on this trip!

Try it as I'm sure you will appreciate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.