Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
RC Pudong: it's probably the most luxurious and certainly the newest of your choices
2012 FS pudong (floors 30 - 39)
2010 RC pudong (floors 39 - 51)
2008 PH (floors 79 - 93)

2018 bvlgari (floors 41 - 48 ?)
2018 middle house
2017 capella (floors n/a)
2013 MO pudong (floors 3 - 25)
2009 pen (floors 3 - 12)
2002 FS shanghai (floors 7 - 36)
1999 GH (floors 53 - 87)
1998 RC (opened 1990 as SL) (floors 12 - 45)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 2, 2018 at 11:44 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:52 am

Haven't seen much of anything about it so any feedback on the Bulgari? Currently booked at the Peninsula and now thinking of extending Shanghai stay, but wondering if we should just extend our Peninsula stay or try the Bulgari for the additional nights. I think the hard product looks stunning (and tbh more our "style" than the Peninsula), but the Peninsula seems to be the benchmark here. Any feedbacks/thoughts/reviews, especially service-wise? Thanks

Last edited by bsb10; Oct 2, 2018 at 6:29 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:52 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bsb10
Haven't seen much of anything about it so any feedback on the Bulgari? Currently booked at the Peninsula and now thinking of extending Shanghai stay, but wondering if we should just extend our Peninsula stay or try the Bulgari for the additional nights. I think the hard product looks stunning (and tbh more our "style" than the Peninsula), but the Peninsula seems to be the benchmark here. Any feedbacks/thoughts/reviews, especially service-wise? Thanks
I booked two sets of clients in June/July just after they had opened. Both were upgraded at booking, treated well and loved the hard product. The service was still being refined but no major issues. Clients mentioned it wasn't the easiest place to get taxis and generally took a few minutes to find one. Although, I'd say getting a taxi by the Bund isn't always easy either. I think it's probably worth trying it out and things should be running even better by now.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

might also consider amanfayun , or amanyangyun if in a pool villa

could also see if peninsula would do discounted upgrade to keep you

presume bvlgari doesnt publish one-category upgrade to top 2 suites

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 2, 2018 at 7:40 am
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Anyone have any thoughts about which property would be best if traveling with two small children?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by damaxer91
Anyone have any thoughts about which property would be best if traveling with two small children?
Peninsula always has great children's amenities and treatment.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aventine
Peninsula always has great children's amenities and treatment.
If you care about location, the Portman is better.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:14 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Nothing is better than the Peninsula in Shanghai. It isn’t even close.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Nothing is better than the Peninsula in Shanghai. It isn’t even close.
Again, the hotel might be great, but the location sucks.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:20 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
Perhaps it didn’t work for you, but the end of the Bund location worked extremely well for us.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Is staying on the bund like staying in Times square? Is that why someone would say the location sucks?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:16 pm

I think it all depends on your preferences. I'm originally from Shanghai, so I personally feel the location of Portman (Nanjing West street) is more like Times Sq., and I'd rather stay in a more residential area but that's just me. Bund is also touristy, but you're there as a tourist so I don't see anything wrong with that. Between the Bund and Nanjing Rd. though I'd choose the Bund for the fantastic view. Just my 2c.

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Is staying on the bund like staying in Times square? Is that why someone would say the location sucks?
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by jbeans; Jun 19, 2019 at 12:46 pm
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I’ll say the opposite.
- acceptable location
- bad service

I’ll NEVER stay there again with especially with a Family
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shanghai - where to pick?

Planning a few days in Shanghai next summer and am a bit paralyzed by hotel options at the moment. I have a few requirements for this trip which don't normally dictate my choices, so hoping someone can help narrow down options.

I would like a larger room - specifically bedroom. This might mean a suite, but the options I have been looking at seem to have two completely separate rooms, each small, which isn't ideal. So perhaps a large room, or junior suite might be better (will be coming from a stay in Tokyo where the room is going to be (and feel) very small, so a bit more space would be nice!

I would like a good club lounge for food and drink. I am vegetarian, and have found in some parts of Asia that being able to go and grab a quick snack before heading to dinner / out for the day with non vegetarians, means I don't starve and am generally far more pleasant company. Doesn't need to be fancy.

I have rather been wowed by some of the gorgeous river view, so I think I would like a river view. Some rooms seemed to have obstructed view (a waist height visual barrier) so floor to ceiling I think. Also one set of rooms I saw seemed to have grills across which looked awful to me!

I would like a nice bath - views a plus but not mandatory. Pool would be a plus.

I am hoping to keep cost to around 3500 Yuan / night

I don't know where I want to stay, first trip to Shanghai - there seems to be pros and cons to several locations. I am happy taking taxis or subway but don't want to be a long way out.

I don't care too much about spa, hotel restaurants, etc. I am pretty easy to please, good genuine service is all (!!) I am looking for.

I've looked at the MO - current front runner with the suite offer. Shangri-la is showing no rooms for August - not released yet? Then finding it hard to choose among the others - not a lot of special rates, most have rates that expire Dec 31 2019 so maybe early next year?

Also wondering if there is a particular mechanism for booking people recommend - not planning on spa and restaurants so credit not a high factor, no need to early check in. Open to recommendations (not an AMEX user).

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: CX MPC
Peninsula is the best. Or RC if prefer the Pudong area.
Ps: Don't go MO unless you got those cheap rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.