Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:56 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chinmoylad

Visited the WA - didn't like it at all, but great location. PuLi is okay - it's like what the Upper House would be if it didn't do it quite as good as it does.

I think you should try to narrow it down by location rather than hotel. The Bund is great, and the area around PuLi isn't bad either. I didn't like the area on the other side of the river - it seemed dead.
I would say that description of PuLi is pretty accurate based on my stay 3 years ago. Pleasant stay but nothing special. Looking forward to Middle House!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:42 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Sorry, but the Pen Shanghai is one of the best and most unbelievably perfect hotel stays of all time for us. One of our favorite 13 of all time anywhere in the world. We’d return in a heartbeat. It was so amazing that I’d have to consider it even over the StR that always treats me so welll as a Plat100.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:46 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Anlun
My wife and I will be in Shanghai in November, and while @chinmoylad 's Pen video is tempting, Pen is dead to me after my stay in Bangkok. I vowed never again to stay in a Pen and I will stick to that solemn vow! Was planning on going with FS, but Middle House should be open by then, and its a tempting thought, although not sure on the MH location.
Middle House isn't too far from PuLi. It's a good location, albeit if given a choice I'd prefer to be on The Bund. Middle House will be good though - Kristina, formerly of Upper House is part of the team there now.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Anlun
My wife and I will be in Shanghai in November, and while @chinmoylad 's Pen video is tempting, Pen is dead to me after my stay in Bangkok. I vowed never again to stay in a Pen and I will stick to that solemn vow! Was planning on going with FS, but Middle House should be open by then, and its a tempting thought, although not sure on the MH location.
I'd avoid openings, especially, if you're traveling a long way for it.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I've narrowed it down to either Pen, FS Pudong or MO. I don't really care about the location as I like both sides of the river so this isn't what's going to drive my choice.
My main issue is with the Pen, as I've heard completely opposite views from people I trust (on this forum and elsewhere).
FS Pudong & MO seem to get good to great reviews overall (and I like both brands a lot), so I'm a bit lost as to which one to book.
Any fresh arguments pro or con either property would really help.

Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Originally Posted by JohnRain
I've narrowed it down to either Pen, FS Pudong or MO. I don't really care about the location as I like both sides of the river so this isn't what's going to drive my choice.
My main issue is with the Pen, as I've heard completely opposite views from people I trust (on this forum and elsewhere).
FS Pudong & MO seem to get good to great reviews overall (and I like both brands a lot), so I'm a bit lost as to which one to book.
Any fresh arguments pro or con either property would really help.

Thanks!
Regarding MO, I had a disastrous stay there last year (was on the club level in a suite), though recovery was good.

I just had a fantastic stay a few weeks ago at the FS Pudong on the club level.
JohnRain and BESVISOR like this.

Last edited by glenny84; Mar 7, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old May 9, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Stayed at Peninsula Shanghai for barely 2 nights (and a lot of my time was spent out) so didn't do a separate thread for this. Full disclosure: was hosted by the hotel, thoughts are my own.

Here's my review: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/the-...hanghai-china/

Didn't really get a chance to take photos since I was there for a travel event and didn't bring my DSLR - in hindsight I should have; not making that same mistake for Singapore!

VIDEO
WHAT I LOVED
  • Location. We stayed at two hotels in different locales in Shanghai, and visited a few more areas. The Bund is the place to be. Yes, it’s somewhat touristy, but it’s also a fantastic central location from which to explore the rest of Shanghai, not to mention all the incredible architectural sights within minutes walk, and the quintessential Shanghai view across the river from The Peninsula.
  • Rooms. The rooms are spacious by any international city standard, starting at a very comfortable 54-59 sqm/581-635 sqft. Part of the reason to stay at the Peninsula though, is for the stunning views it affords. So we’d recommend the lowest room to book being the Deluxe River Room (same size as the entry level Superior Room). The Grand Deluxe River Room is somewhat larger (71-89 sqm/764-958 sqft).
    • The Presidential Suite (The Peninsula Suite), which we toured, features 400 sqm/4,305 sq ft of space, featuring a small balcony, and is one of the world’s most expensive suites. However, views aside, The Palace Suite (306 sqm/3,294 sqft) one level below the Presidential Suite is arguably nicer, featuring a 12,000 sq ft wrap-around terrace perfect for all-weather entertainment. The Astor Suite (116 sqm/1,249 sqft) is popular with honeymooners on account of its landscaped outdoor terrace with private jacuzzi.
  • Design. The hotel pays tribute to the classical styles found around The Bund throughout its common areas, and the rooms beautifully combine elegant modern elements with classical features, and the soft but bright colour palette, along with the near floor-to-ceiling windows ensure plenty of light.
  • Attention to detail in the rooms. Shanghai is a city where everyone glams up for a night out. The Peninsula’s room suitably account for this with a built-in nail dryer. As is the Peninsula’s signature, technology plays a key-part with check-in and many room operational procedures performed on the iPad. With Shanghai being a business destination, there is also a fax/scanner/printer, a Nespresso machine at hand and more.
  • Pick-up and drop-off. This is a Peninsula. Splurge for the Peninsula-green Rolls Royce Phantom for your pick-up and drop-off from the airport or from another hotel – it’s worth it! The signature green Rolls comes with a soothing cream and beige interior
  • Service and the team. As you would expect from a hotel (owned and) managed by The Peninsula brand, service is exemplary – somewhat formal in style but always exuding an air of approachability.
    • On our last day out, it was raining outside when we were just about to step outside the hotel for a mini-tour. As we got to the lobby and tried to fumble around with our umbrella, a staff member proactively saw this and offered aid, providing an umbrella for temporary usage for our day out.
    • Staff were always alert to our needs and wants without being intrusive, and at the restaurants we never sipped a last sip without the water or drink being appropriately refilled.
  • Facilities. Arguably where The Peninsula Shanghai really shines is in its myriad of facilities and luxurious experiences. We mentioned the Peninsula-green Rolls Royces earlier. The Peninsula Shanghai also features a helipad on the top, operated by the founding family’s aviation sector (a hobby), as well as a luxury yacht for hire. And although we didn’t have time to try it, the beautiful ceiling lit indoor heated pool is a heaven send in Shanghai which does experience a myriad of climates throughout the season, complemented of course by The Peninsula Spa.
POINTS TO NOTE
  • Food. The Peninsula, as you would expect, has a host of dining options offering a range of all styles of cuisines. However, in our limited time, we only tried one restaurant at The Lobby, both for a lunch and breakfast. Lunch wasn’t much to write home about (we went for Continental fare), but breakfast in the morning was pretty poor. The morning breakfast offers a selection of cold buffet items (quite limited for a hotel of its size and standard) and a selection of hot plates. We tried a mix of Shanghainese and western options, but none were a hit – but surprisingly, the xiao long bao (Shanghainese soup dumpling) was one of the worst we’ve ever had.
  • Internet. Internet access can be restricted (Google, Facebook, Instagram etc) due to the “Great Firewall of China”, although some other hotels (including The PuLi which we stayed at prior) seem to get past this issue.
callmedtop and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by chinmoylad; May 9, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 7:36 pm

I stayed here once a few years ago. The best thing about our room was the automated blackout window treatment - it closes the room like a vault!
F&B was weak then - not surprised to read it's still not great.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I stayed here once a few years ago. The best thing about our room was the automated blackout window treatment - it closes the room like a vault!
F&B was weak then - not surprised to read it's still not great.
Nearly a perfect city hotel save for the food - I do typically give a bit more leeway in cities though because it's not like you're stuck at the hotel. But still, you'd expect them to sort this out.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:58 pm
Suspended

We stayed in a Grand Deluxe River View Suite at the Peninsula Shanghai in May 2012–one of our all-time favorite suites in one of our all-time favorite hotels. We’d hoped for an upgrade to the Astor Suite but didn’t get that lucky. As it turned out, we were so happy with the suite and the hotel overall that it didn’t matter at all.

As I’m wont to do, we visited several of the other luxury hotels at the time: Park Hyatt, Ritz-Carlton, Waldorf Astoria. We loved the Pen and PH, found the RC a bit feminine in style for our tastes, and weren’t fond at all of the WA.

Our food/beverage at the Pen was excellent—but then we were at the end of 3 weeks in China/Tibet and were extremely thankful to finally have any good food at all, to be honest! I think the only miss we had during our entire stay was a missed cup of coffee at breakfast. For us, wed return in a heartbeat. The fact that there is a new St Regis—my favorite brand—but with mixed reviews thus far only makes it more likely that we’d gladly still return.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We stayed in a Grand Deluxe River View Suite at the Peninsula Shanghai in May 2012–one of our all-time favorite suites in one of our all-time favorite hotels. We’d hoped for an upgrade to the Astor Suite but didn’t get that lucky. As it turned out, we were so happy with the suite and the hotel overall that it didn’t matter at all.

As I’m wont to do, we visited several of the other luxury hotels at the time: Park Hyatt, Ritz-Carlton, Waldorf Astoria. We loved the Pen and PH, found the RC a bit feminine in style for our tastes, and weren’t fond at all of the WA.

Our food/beverage at the Pen was excellent—but then we were at the end of 3 weeks in China/Tibet and were extremely thankful to finally have any good food at all, to be honest! I think the only miss we had during our entire stay was a missed cup of coffee at breakfast. For us, wed return in a heartbeat. The fact that there is a new St Regis—my favorite brand—but with mixed reviews thus far only makes it more likely that we’d gladly still return.
We agree on the WA too! I didn't get a chance to visit some of the other options and stayed at The PuLi. Think I've covered it here but The PuLi is basically The Upper House if it didn't quite execute (nearly) perfectly.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:54 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
First group of clients just completed stays at the Middle House...They liked the location (as they are returning visitors to Shanghai) and staff is trying hard and for the most part, good. They stayed at Upper House, Temple house and Middle House on this trip. They'd rank it Upper House, Middle House and Temple House. Milldd House rooms are gorgeous as you'd expect. Middle House should have Virtuoso Amenities here soon but you can book it now with it (unofficially).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, SPG/Marriott Gold
Hey guys, I'm wondering if you could help me pick a hotel in Shanghai.

Via a corp code, I have pretty good rates at the RC Pudong, the FS Pudong, and the Park Hyatt (all are ~$200/night and are much cheaper than comparable options). I'll be staying 2 nights and would be purchasing a base room, though I have token elite status with both Hyatt and Marriott. If you were me, which one would you choose?

Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shanghtaitraveler
Hey guys, I'm wondering if you could help me pick a hotel in Shanghai.

Via a corp code, I have pretty good rates at the RC Pudong, the FS Pudong, and the Park Hyatt (all are ~$200/night and are much cheaper than comparable options). I'll be staying 2 nights and would be purchasing a base room, though I have token elite status with both Hyatt and Marriott. If you were me, which one would you choose?

Thanks!
If I'm not staying at the Peninsula Shanghai, one of our all time favorites, from your choices I would opt first and foremost for the RC Pudong: it's probably the most luxurious and certainly the newest of your choices, located near your other choices, has a sterling reputation for food and service, and has the added perk of earning you points and status with RC/Marriott and its new loyalty program, too. You may even get a slight upgrade since you have some level of status with Marriott.

If you really like clean and modern, the Park Hyatt is the way to go. If you want the absolute best views (unlikely from an entry level room), the FS does have great views.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:58 am
SSO

Langham

We have stayed at the Langham a few times. Great central location. Good size rooms. Well stocked executive lounge and the swimming pool in the basement is a great size for doing laps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.