Reload this Page >

Shanghai Luxury Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 2:50 am

I may try Pen and Park Hyatt or possibly FS Pudong by the end of the year -- inchallah as they say. Pen seems to get conflicting reviews, PH now under leadership of Etienne Dalancon, who moved up from DOSM and DOR (def a sales background). Sadly the previously excellent DOR at PH, Samuel Dabinett, has left ages ago (now well deserved GM at PH Busan after Roppongi Hills Club, which is Hyatt's testing ground for GMs) -- service went downhill for a while. Anyone familiar with leadership of FS Pudong? Service?
Old May 5, 2017, 6:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by scented
I may try Pen and Park Hyatt or possibly FS Pudong by the end of the year -- inchallah as they say. Pen seems to get conflicting reviews, PH now under leadership of Etienne Dalancon, who moved up from DOSM and DOR (def a sales background). Sadly the previously excellent DOR at PH, Samuel Dabinett, has left ages ago (now well deserved GM at PH Busan after Roppongi Hills Club, which is Hyatt's testing ground for GMs) -- service went downhill for a while. Anyone familiar with leadership of FS Pudong? Service?
I have stayed at both the PH and FS pudong, going back to PH shortly. The FS pudong has been nothing but wonderful with its staff attentive when needed and leaving me alone when I want to be left alone. The pool has a wonderful and unique view of the skyline, and is where I find myself spending most of my time in the hotel. In the pool area there is a jungle? themed room where you'll get mists and rain and stuff and red light to simulate jungle fever, and another arctic? themed room where you'll get mists and rain and stuff and white light to simulate being in the arctic. There is also a complimentary dry sauna and a wet steam sauna in the locker rooms. The breakfast is spread out expansively (physically) throughout Camelia. Service is top notch as you'd expect. The first time I stayed there I was jetlagged and spent most of my night staring at the blinking fire alarm light, after saying that it was distracting, the hotel taped the fire alarm light on every one of my subsequent visits. Also there's the comp house car for 3km radius.

The PH design is underwhelming compared to the FSPD. Whereas the FSPD is art-deco done right using calacatta marble, kenya black marble, lacquer ebony, fresco weave or slub velvet on furniture, PH design can be summed up as beige linen, dark wood cabinets, and Ikea-like tables/chairs. That's literally it. I feel like the PH food prices are also higher than the FS. Service wise I haven't made many requests, but the few times I did request water it took quite some time. Also I asked for a bag/cover for my suit and after hours of looking they said they do not have any to offer.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Am back after just a short one night stay and it was fine. The hard product is great as you pointed out. Especially enjoyed being on Sir Elly's Terrace overlooking the Bund and seeing the night sky changes color. I also made the mistake of booking a Deluxe Bund view room and while the view is quite good, I don't like being squeezed in by the rooms on the two sides that protrudes out either. Will recommend booking at least a Grand Deluxe River view.

The location was excellent for a one night stay as it was close to the Bund and we got to walk around the area a little bit. It was also reasonably close to the subway. But if I were to come back for a longer stay, I probably will try the Tomorrow Square area since that seems to be a more happening area.

We didn't make use of that much of the service as it was a quick in and out. They helped me with a restaurant booking which they were prompt to help with over email. Not as proactive as some hotels which will have a printed map and address for you when you check in. Tried to book a car but the cost is just too exorbitant since we only needed it for a few short hops but the only way to do this will be to basically book a car for the full day. Getting a taxi can be challenging at times though since even the bell boys need to use their phone apps to call for taxis and we waited anywhere from 5 to 20 mins.
Glad that you had a good stay

Sir elly was closed during my stay.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Anyone planning on staying at Amanyangyun ? Seems all set for her October opening
A bit farther out though ..
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:24 am

There are some prices up (£680 per night) but only for what I assume could be a soft opening as it's only a limited time window, or maybe it's simply a trial to see if the website is working?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:48 am

Some of us are waiting for Fliar to post about his stay at AmanYY this week .
Must be a very “ soft “ launch as opening is now suppose to be in January .
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
What are the chances we'll be able to venture over (I know it's far) to Aman YY for lunch or dinner during our stay in Shanghai mid-December? We'll be trying out the new StR but would love to check out the new property.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:26 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by callmedtop
What are the chances we'll be able to venture over (I know it's far) to Aman YY for lunch or dinner during our stay in Shanghai mid-December? We'll be trying out the new StR but would love to check out the new property.
Obviously, the StR is quite new, but I’ll be very curious to hear what you think. I’ve heard the hard product is exceptional.

Have you ever stayed at the Pen Shanghai? I ask because our Grand Deluxe River Suite was one of the nicest suites we’ve ever enjoyed, and the service was flawless when we were there in May 2012. I’d be very curious how you compare the StR with the Pen, PH, and/or RC, since we visited all of those during our stay. (My TripAdvisor review of the Pen: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...-Shanghai.html)
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:58 pm

Have just heard from AmanYY about special rates for January , let you know when I email again or when you hear from Fayun
callmedtop likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Obviously, the StR is quite new, but I’ll be very curious to hear what you think. I’ve heard the hard product is exceptional.

Have you ever stayed at the Pen Shanghai? I ask because our Grand Deluxe River Suite was one of the nicest suites we’ve ever enjoyed, and the service was flawless when we were there in May 2012. I’d be very curious how you compare the StR with the Pen, PH, and/or RC, since we visited all of those during our stay. (My TripAdvisor review of the Pen: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...-Shanghai.html)
The hard product looks quite stunning so I am looking forward to my stay. We'll see about the soft product but I am cautiously optimistic. Given the corporate rate we are using + Citi 4th night free + Plat benefits, even if the soft product is very disappointing, I doubt I will have any regrets not staying elsewhere.

I've only stayed at the PH Shanghai (and had a decent, but not necessarily amazing stay - but Pudong doesn't really do it for me), as well as the W-A (which I liked far more than it gets credit for here, and I think, along with AMS, is the "crown jewel" of the W-A portfolio, not that that means much), so not sure how valid my comparison will be. I'll still hopefully put together a trip report along with Amanfayun.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:48 pm

Have just heard from AmanYY about special rates for January , ( will let you ) know when I email again or when you hear from Fayun
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:18 am

The Puli is pretty disappointing. The interiors are showing their age and the service leaves a lot to be desired. Wait staff take too long to take orders in the restaurant, sometimes they forget, take too long to bring the bill, etc. And what is it with having only one restaurant - a French one - in a Chinese hotel? Michelin star or not, most people don't go to China to have French food!

While the Puli's location right next to Jing'An park and temple is nice, I will avoid the Puli next time and try the Shangri-La across the street.

I cannot believe the Puli gets all these rave reviews. The Rosewood in Beijing is in a totally different category from the Puli in terms of service and the classiness of the room decor - now that's a real luxury hotel - not the Puli!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Any recent feedback regarding the Pen, MO, RC, FS Pudong or WA would be very appreciated as I'm still hesitating where to stay next month.
I've been to the PH last year and would like to try something else.

Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:25 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Any recent feedback regarding the Pen, MO, RC, FS Pudong or WA would be very appreciated as I'm still hesitating where to stay next month.
I've been to the PH last year and would like to try something else.

Thanks
Stayed at The Pen last year (my video):

One of the finest city hotels I've seen.

Visited the WA - didn't like it at all, but great location. PuLi is okay - it's like what the Upper House would be if it didn't do it quite as good as it does.

I think you should try to narrow it down by location rather than hotel. The Bund is great, and the area around PuLi isn't bad either. I didn't like the area on the other side of the river - it seemed dead.
JohnRain likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:22 am

My wife and I will be in Shanghai in November, and while @chinmoylad 's Pen video is tempting, Pen is dead to me after my stay in Bangkok. I vowed never again to stay in a Pen and I will stick to that solemn vow! Was planning on going with FS, but Middle House should be open by then, and its a tempting thought, although not sure on the MH location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.