Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai Luxury Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ppppewang
Peninsula is the best. Or RC if prefer the Pudong area.
Ps: Don't go MO unless you got those cheap rates.
What is it about the MO that you are not keen on? It does have pretty attractive rates.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by emma69
What is it about the MO that you are not keen on? It does have pretty attractive rates.
1. The location is bad. Hard to get a taxi and far from public transportations.
2. Service issues.
3. Group tour guests. This MO has 500+ rooms and sells them to group tour guests with incredible cheap rates. I believe it used to be around 600CNY, now maybe around 800CNY? Corp rate for the Chinese market is also similar.
This results in different level customers and extremely unstable service. The maintain of rooms is not good and feels aged.

I'm a MO fan but won't recommend this one. Since you have the budget, many better choices in Shanghai.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why start a new thread on this topic? For me, at least, not a lot has changed during the course of the past ~3 years because newer properties are typically in undesirable areas.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not luxury, but Le Royal Meridian has a good lounge and some wonderful corner junior suites (the building is triangle shaped with trimmed tips and somewhat curved walls) with great views. There's an entry hall with a walkin closet where even your clothes get a nice view, then a big room with bedroom area on the closet side and sofa, desk etc. on the opposite side, with a bathroom opposite of the closet. There's a bathtub with rim to ceiling window and IIRC also a window that lets you look into the living room area from the tub. There's a separate shower and I suspect double bowl sinks as it's a big bathroom, but I don't remember if there's a bidet or details about the toilet. Location is Puxi on top of a shopping mall and subway station with multiple lines, an easy walk from the Bund. You can request a view of the river and the park; IIRC different views are different room categories so it should be possible tyo confirm the view but unfortunately not the floor. [Their few one bedroom suites on upper floors are small with small (IIRC queen bed) bedrooms.]
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you ppppewang! That's very helpful.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not luxury, but Le Royal Meridian has a good lounge and some wonderful corner junior suites (the building is triangle shaped with trimmed tips and somewhat curved walls) with great views. There's an entry hall with a walkin closet where even your clothes get a nice view, then a big room with bedroom area on the closet side and sofa, desk etc. on the opposite side, with a bathroom opposite of the closet. There's a bathtub with rim to ceiling window and IIRC also a window that lets you look into the living room area from the tub. There's a separate shower and I suspect double bowl sinks as it's a big bathroom, but I don't remember if there's a bidet or details about the toilet. Location is Puxi on top of a shopping mall and subway station with multiple lines, an easy walk from the Bund. You can request a view of the river and the park; IIRC different views are different room categories so it should be possible tyo confirm the view but unfortunately not the floor. [Their few one bedroom suites on upper floors are small with small (IIRC queen bed) bedrooms.]
Thank you - that one wasn't on my list at all, I shall have a look.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Why start a new thread on this topic? For me, at least, not a lot has changed during the course of the past ~3 years because newer properties are typically in undesirable areas.
My apologies, I had looked at the older thread and hadn't appreciated so little had changed. If I think about other cities, a lot changes in a year, nevermind any longer. If the mods would like to merge this back, that's fine with me.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In this area, I prefer the JW Marriott tomorrow square haha.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:05 pm

My apologies, I had looked at the older thread and hadn't appreciated so little had changed. If I think about other cities, a lot changes in a year, nevermind any longer. If the mods would like to merge this back, that's fine with me.
U may have look FS Pudong. Nice pool and decent rooms. Location is ok for me as in walking distinct to IFC and the Pearl Tower.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:12 pm

No worries. I requested a thread merge mainly because it's easier to opine when we can reference what's already been said, but I'll add a few comments here.

-the most impressive hotels in Shanghai are in lujiazui because there was a lot of open space there 20 years ago, but simply avoid if you actually care about seeing Shanghai
-the Penn isn't really up my alley because I regard the bund as a place to see/eat rather than a place to stay, but I have to admit that it is a very nice hotel
-some hotels that aren't on the bund use bund in their names (not a huge deal)
-i'm hard pressed to think of any wow properties in really convenient locations now, but the ja Shangri-la and Puli certainly aren't bad
-there are several newish places and reflags that I haven't had a chance to investigate yet
-recent subway developments have resulted in improved convenience for some properties (e.g. 4 seasons comes to mind)
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:42 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
The Peninsula is pretty damn nice - I did a full review on it here (also in a FlyerTalk thread): https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/the-...-hotel-review/

I also stayed at The PuLi - I really liked it, felt very Upper House-y without quite being perfect, however note that the rooms are rather small unless you go for a very specific room category/suite (even the corner rooms, the bedroom itself doesn't feel huge and does feel a bit cramped although I do love the layout/lounging space overall. You might also want to consider the Middle House.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:10 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
The Peninsula is always a safe bet and great choice for a first time visit.

Something that's not brought up often but I've had great feedback on are the newer: The Middle House (also mentioned above by @chinmoylad) and Bulgari. Both are a bit more tucked away than the likes of Peninsula, etc...on the bund. So that's part of the cons or pros, depending on the person.
But thinking The Peninsula for first time is surely a great choice.

While it's not one of the top properties in PVG, I do have a soft spot for the Park Hyatt. Probably because I actually really love that building and (weather dependent) views from it. The suites are very large and nice as well (contemporary).
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
While it's not one of the top properties in PVG, I do have a soft spot for the Park Hyatt.
The only hotels in PVG are a Dazhong (formerly 168/268) and an unbranded hourly place.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks all - the Penn looks like a nice hotel, but unless I am missing something doesn't seem to have a club lounge. For this trip that is an important facility for me. The Puli looks like it has club 'benefits' but no lounge - you go to the main hotel bar and restaurant - how does that work exactly, is it still a self-serve idea (the point being I can be in and out and grab food / drink quickly rather than a more traditional restaurant type service). Middle House also looks like it doesn't have a lounge.

Bulgari is currently pricing at double my budget for entry level, so out for that reason alone.

The FS Pudong looks nice - apart from the strange window treatments in some rooms. They have what look like stripy sliding window coverings, does anyone know if they completely retract? If so, the pearl view junior suite looks pretty good, but only if the windows are not hemmed in like many of the photos show.

The Shangri-La doesn't appear to be selling rooms on its own website for August 2020 - does it have planned renovations or perhaps it is not released yet?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:17 pm

The Shangri-La doesn't appear to be selling rooms on its own website for August 2020 - does it have planned renovations or perhaps it is not released yet?
I'm not sure whether the following link was dynamically generated (and, therefore useless for you), but I had no problem finding available rooms there:

https://www.shangri-la.com/en/shangh...cialCodeToken=

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.