Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing A Luxury Hotel Program

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Choosing A Luxury Hotel Program

Hello all. I've been pondering hotels and have a question. I want something unique to splurge on 10 nights a year and would like your opinion. I'm wondering about FS, but am flexible.

I stayed at two Viceroys, Miami and Anguilla, but they have 12 locations which is limiting to say the least. MO has 28 locations, primarily in Asia, which is fewer than the number of celebrity endorsers they seem to have. This brought me to FS at 98.

While their benefits are unpublished, it sounds like a wonderful style of personalized service. I know I wouldn't receive the benefits more loyal customers do, but would 10 nights at least put me on their radar? Is there an alternative luxury brand I should look at?

To give some color, I would spend $300-$500 on those 10 nights. I would prefer a program with enough properties to make 10 nights easy. I don't have any particular travel patterns and will visit anywhere.

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks

Last edited by drewp123; Jul 25, 2015 at 1:38 am
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by drewp123
While their benefits are unpublished, it sounds like a wonderful style of personalized service. I know I wouldn't receive the benefits more loyal customers do, but would 10 nights at least put me on their radar? Is there an alternative luxury brand I should look at?

To give some color, I would spend $300-$500 on those 10 nights. I would prefer a program with enough properties to make 10 nights easy.
FS doesn't have a program like you're describing. Nor does MO, Peninsula, Oekter, Dorchester, etc...

Ritz-Carlton (Marriott) and St. Regis (SPG) are more in line with what you're referring to...hotel chains where - upon a certain # of stays/nights - you'd "achieve status"...

What you're looking for - a points/loyalty system - simply doesn't exist for luxury hotels. And most of us here would probably say that's a GOOD thing.

Lastly, don't take this the wrong way, but ten nights at $300-500 isn't really a big enough deal to most of these hotels chains. Just booked someone for 14 nights at the FS Orlando and, other than getting preferred partner amenities, that client is no more on their radar than the other hundred or so people who've spent 100k+ at the hotel recently.

My .02 cents..
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:35 am
Suspended

ps, the cool thing about NOT needing to achieve status/points/stays with these luxury hotels? The fact you can get status-like amenities through preferred partner bookings...

I'd rather take Virtuoso + PenClub amenities (which you can double dip) at a Peninsula than Gold/Plat amenities via SPG at a St. Regis!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:10 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Ritz-Carlton (Marriott) and St. Regis (SPG) are more in line with what you're referring to...hotel chains where - upon a certain # of stays/nights - you'd "achieve status"...
Also Hyatt for the Park Hyatt brand, which i consider to exceed the other luxury chain brands. However, I agree with all the other points you made.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:23 am

The beauty of staying at high-end hotels is that you do not need to participate in "programs." Just pick your favorite hotel in each location, and you can get benefits through a good TA.

Ten nights per year at $500 is not going to get any hotel group's attention, so there is no need to stay with just one chain in hopes of enhanced recognition.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:47 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
FS doesn't have a program like you're describing. Nor does MO, Peninsula, Oekter, Dorchester, etc...

What you're looking for - a points/loyalty system - simply doesn't exist for luxury hotels. And most of us here would probably say that's a GOOD thing.

Lastly, don't take this the wrong way, but ten nights at $300-500 isn't really a big enough deal to most of these hotels chains. Just booked someone for 14 nights at the FS Orlando and, other than getting preferred partner amenities, that client is no more on their radar than the other hundred or so people who've spent 100k+ at the hotel recently.

My .02 cents..
I largely agree with this assessment--especially that the 10 nights or so won't endear you to any luxury group (because there are way too many people staying for 30-50 nights or far more money a year at even a single property at this level of luxe properties).

For 10 nights, I'd agree that SPG (St Regis/Luxury Collection) and Hyatt (Park Hyatt) and Ritz Carlton (Marriott/Ritz Carlton) will be your best bets. SPG has more options with more StR and Luxury Collection properties worldwide than Hyatt has Park Hyatt properties, so that might give SPG an edge--depending on where you travel. There are more RC properties, but the RC/Marriott loyalty program doesn't give you much loyalty bonus for only 10 nights.

SPG also has the added perk that your accumulated points will be usable for hotel awards AND airline awards (with a 25% bonus to boot!). The airline transferability and better availability of SPG luxe hotels I like is a big reason why I've opted for SPG. I love St Regis and the variety of Luxury Collection properties--and I can use the points I earn at such expensive properties for other luxe SPG hotels OR for premium class awards with 30+ airlines.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I largely agree with this assessment--especially that the 10 nights or so won't endear you to any luxury group (because there are way too many people staying for 30-50 nights or far more money a year at even a single property at this level of luxe properties).

For 10 nights, I'd agree that SPG (St Regis/Luxury Collection) and Hyatt (Park Hyatt) and Ritz Carlton (Marriott/Ritz Carlton) will be your best bets. SPG has more options with more StR and Luxury Collection properties worldwide than Hyatt has Park Hyatt properties, so that might give SPG an edge--depending on where you travel. There are more RC properties, but the RC/Marriott loyalty program doesn't give you much loyalty bonus for only 10 nights.

SPG also has the added perk that your accumulated points will be usable for hotel awards AND airline awards (with a 25% bonus to boot!). The airline transferability and better availability of SPG luxe hotels I like is a big reason why I've opted for SPG. I love St Regis and the variety of Luxury Collection properties--and I can use the points I earn at such expensive properties for other luxe SPG hotels OR for premium class awards with 30+ airlines.
Good point, and totally agree. The points junkie in me is a SPG junkie, mainly because of St. Regis/Luxury Collection + the ability to use their points on airlines.

Park Hyatt is awesome but their footprint is SO small.

Hate R-C, minus a few random properties (no method to the madness).

Don't even bother with WA/Hilton...
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:02 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

ps, the cool thing about NOT needing to achieve status/points/stays with these luxury hotels? The fact you can get status-like amenities through preferred partner bookings...

I'd rather take Virtuoso + PenClub amenities (which you can double dip) at a Peninsula than Gold/Plat amenities via SPG at a St. Regis!
I will say that Plat amenities via SPG on an award stay are unbeatable... I had amazing upgrades at the Westin Europa and Regina and at the Grand (now St. Regis) in Firenze. Plat with SPG is my favorite high level status because they actually have some reasonable aspirational properties (or they did.. I haven't been a plat for 3 years) and include suite upgrade on award stays...

FDW
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:14 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Good point, and totally agree. The points junkie in me is a SPG junkie, mainly because of St. Regis/Luxury Collection + the ability to use their points on airlines.

Park Hyatt is awesome but their footprint is SO small.

Hate R-C, minus a few random properties (no method to the madness).

Don't even bother with WA/Hilton...
Yes, that's why I stay at SPG properties and accumulate SPG points by the stays and with the SPG Amex cards. I also love StR and the LC properties, with a few exceptions. Ironically, I'm not a fan of the StR flagship in NYC, preferring the Chatwal LC property. We both have the SPG personal and business cards and use them frequently, mostly at SPG properties but also for all our spending that isn't bonused by Chase UR cards.

I agree that Park Hyatt is awesome. We've not been to a PH we didn't enjoy. But there just aren't enough of them...and I can use Chase URs to stay at them whenever I want. We both have the Chase Ink and Sapphire cards, and I also have the Ink Bold and Ink Cash, and we use them for every bonus spending category.

I also agree that RC isn't my favorite. The Moscow one allowed us a free stay using the remainder of my Marriott points, since it was when the ruble was high against the dollar. We checked out the PH and preferred its style...and liked the RC location a bit more. But it reminded us why we generally love PH. But when a RC property interests us, we can always use Chase URs if necessary if a StR or LC or PH weren't available--though RC redemptions are far more pricey with points compared to SPG and Hyatt.

The WA Chicago (formerly Elysian) is the only WA at which we've stayed. It was very nice. But other WAs don't generally interest us much. Same with Conrads. And the Hilton redemption levels are just as insane as Marriott/RC.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:35 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I will say that Plat amenities via SPG on an award stay are unbeatable... I had amazing upgrades at the Westin Europa and Regina and at the Grand (now St. Regis) in Firenze. Plat with SPG is my favorite high level status because they actually have some reasonable aspirational properties (or they did.. I haven't been a plat for 3 years) and include suite upgrade on award stays...

FDW
As a current SPG Plat 100, going on many years, I can only say that it's been great.

While I love Aman (stayed at Amangiri in April), Pen (stayed at Pen Bev Hills last cpl yrs and likely again early next yr), and some MO (stayed at Vegas in May), I get tremendous value from SPG.

On paid stays, I most often get upgraded to a junior suite or full suite; in the few instances where I wasn't suite upgraded, I have always been upgraded at least a room category (but usually several). I've always received great service as a Plat at almost every SPG luxe category hotel at which I've stayed.

On award stays, I have almost always gotten the same suite upgrades. The only times I haven't been upgraded was when it was a holiday or full occupancy. Even some holidays, I've been upgraded to a suite on an award stay. Not bad for no cost at all. And I've received the same great service as on a paid stay.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
10 nights per year won't put you on any hotel's radar.

$300-$500 a night won't get you a room in many luxury hotels.

Might earn you SPG Gold if you pread those 10 nights across 10 different stays at St. Regis hotels.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by mapu
Are you sure? I stay frequently at FS but only 5 to ten nights per year (entire to mid level suites). I had the Impression they recognise me as a frequent FS-guest. Same at Rocce Forte in the past, the expilicit referred to previous stays.

I think this is sadly true in many cities, at some it´s no problem. You may be lucky at some properties, depends on location.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:38 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Might earn you SPG Gold if you pread those 10 nights across 10 different stays at St. Regis hotels.
Or you can get SPG gold just by holding a US Amex Plat and asking for it. Gold doesn't get you much at *wood, it seems less to me than the first tier at other chains.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Or you can get SPG gold just by holding a US Amex Plat and asking for it. Gold doesn't get you much at *wood, it seems less to me than the first tier at other chains.
The only thing it does offer is a non trivial point bonus - 50% or more I think. That is why it is worth calling to get it comped through Amex Plat!

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jul 27, 2015 at 5:38 am
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Originally Posted by offerendum
Are you sure? I stay frequently at FS but only 5 to ten nights per year (entire to mid level suites). I had the Impression they recognise me as a frequent FS-guest. Same at Rocce Forte in the past, the expilicit referred to previous stays.
Most FS hotels are great at making everyone welcome, no matter if it is the first or the 50th stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.