Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fiji

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Has anyone here been to The Remote Resort?

http://www.fijiresort.com.fj/#fiji-luxury-resort

I've just booked a 7 day stay for April next year. My interaction with the reservations team has been excellent so far, I have high hopes that the soft product will be the equal of the hard.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Alright ! Excited for you too
Which airlines are you on ?

Looking forward to your TRs & Updates , thanks .
My journey, as always, is never that simple, as I like to try and stuff in as much as possible: Singapore Airlines from LHR > SIN > SYD, staying 3 nights in Park Hyatt, then Fiji Airlines SYD > NAN > SYD, then Wolgan Valley followed by a helicopter straight back to the airport, Qantas flight to Melbourne and then Etihad MEL > AUH > LHR. The original plan was not to go to Wolgan but Southern Ocean Lodge, so Melbourne made more sense after Fiji, but it's only 90 minutes flight away so we stuck with our flights.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by KatW
21 Sept - 1 Oct for us. Flying Fiji LAX/NAN/LAX, Virgin SFO/LAX/SFO.
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
My journey, as always, is never that simple, as I like to try and stuff in as much as possible: Singapore Airlines from LHR > SIN > SYD, staying 3 nights in Park Hyatt, then Fiji Airlines SYD > NAN > SYD, then Wolgan Valley followed by a helicopter straight back to the airport, Qantas flight to Melbourne and then Etihad MEL > AUH > LHR. The original plan was not to go to Wolgan but Southern Ocean Lodge, so Melbourne made more sense after Fiji, but it's only 90 minutes flight away so we stuck with our flights.
Thanks for the flight info . Be good to know how Fiji Air is .

SIA will be great , in suites ?

Pity you aren't staying at Saffire , Tasmania .
Perhaps another trip to enjoy rest of Tassie too . Spread out the wonderful places a bit , I try to scatter mine
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:23 pm
Original Member

I confess I chose easiest possible connections because, well, traveling with Jim's dementia is a challenge and then some.

Speaking of which, we have been advised to apprise Laucala staff of Jim's condition. I think that is a good idea yet am a bit reluctant to so and Jim would be pissed off mightily if he knew. What say you all? He's in early middle stage -- not immediately perceivable as a bit off. But I never let him out of my sight. But I have to sleep sometimes.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
I confess I chose easiest possible connections because, well, traveling with Jim's dementia is a challenge and then some.

Speaking of which, we have been advised to apprise Laucala staff of Jim's condition. I think that is a good idea yet am a bit reluctant to so and Jim would be pissed off mightily if he knew. What say you all? He's in early middle stage -- not immediately perceivable as a bit off. But I never let him out of my sight. But I have to sleep sometimes.
Well , I would .
For instance , when I travel with my parents whether to cities or Amans , etcetera . Octogenarians who golf , but .. & sometimes even some in the next decade .
Then if there are kids too , we have quite a spectrum . So it helps if the staff know and can assist . Makes it so much more enjoyable . The seniors or others do not need to know , especially those who tend to spill the beans & will get the individuals upset - spoil the whole trip .
Hope this helps .
Perhaps see you , if I can adjust our appointments ..
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ

It is best to advise the staff.

Fijians are lovely people and it is not in their nature to stop a guest doing what they want to do. So if you are napping and he decides to go for a swim they will not stop him and they will not know his capabilities. Fijians go out of their way to avoid upsetting guests so they would never say/do anything that would embarrass him regarding his condition.

Just a quiet word to the Manager and they will brief the staff and Jim will probably be none the wiser but there will be an extra couple of sets of eyes on him - especially if you are not around.

Call it extra special attention for VIPs
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jermyn
Has anyone here been to The Remote Resort?

http://www.fijiresort.com.fj/#fiji-luxury-resort

I've just booked a 7 day stay for April next year. My interaction with the reservations team has been excellent so far, I have high hopes that the soft product will be the equal of the hard.
I have not been there personally but very discerning friends of mine have and they think it is great.

I stay very close (at a much cheaper place) and the location is great for relaxing and diving.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Thanks for the flight info . Be good to know how Fiji Air is .

SIA will be great , in suites ?

Pity you aren't staying at Saffire , Tasmania .
Perhaps another trip to enjoy rest of Tassie too . Spread out the wonderful places a bit , I try to scatter mine
Suites to SIN, then 777-300 down SYD. Unfortunately Fiji Airways is on the B737, rather than their new A330 - seems they don't fly the A330 on Mondays (didn't realise when booking, but it's only a 5 hour flight so c'est le vie).

I am actually going back to Australia in December to go to Southern Ocean Lodge, just before going to Amanpulo. I created this thread last year to try and work out what to do, and lo-and-behold, I changed my mind, as SOL was just too much hassle for a time of year that had poor weather. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...near-fiji.html
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:04 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer
I have not been there personally but very discerning friends of mine have and they think it is great.

I stay very close (at a much cheaper place) and the location is great for relaxing and diving.
Thanks for the reply, that sounds very promising!
My girlfriend and I love diving, so I'm glad to hear that the location passes muster in that respect too.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn
Thanks for the reply, that sounds very promising!
My girlfriend and I love diving, so I'm glad to hear that the location passes muster in that respect too.
Unfortunately Cyclone Winston did do some damage in the area - and it is evidenced by the large pieces of broken coral and the fact that 1 of my favourite dive sites no longer exists. BUT when I was diving there in June there was some signs of recovery.

The main dive site is Great White Wall but it is based a lot on currents and can be quite advanced if it is the wrong time of month. I prefer the Purple Wall, Fish Factory, Rainbow Reef and Cabbage Patch.

Enjoy. It is really an amazing place.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:22 pm
Original Member

Thank you, FlyerEC and FlossieFlyer for yor advise regarding disclosing Jim's to Laucala staff. I will do so confident that Jim need not know the word has gone out.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer
Unfortunately Cyclone Winston did do some damage in the area - and it is evidenced by the large pieces of broken coral and the fact that 1 of my favourite dive sites no longer exists. BUT when I was diving there in June there was some signs of recovery.

The main dive site is Great White Wall but it is based a lot on currents and can be quite advanced if it is the wrong time of month. I prefer the Purple Wall, Fish Factory, Rainbow Reef and Cabbage Patch.

Enjoy. It is really an amazing place.
Contributing to the local economy after the cyclone was a strong factor in our decision to go. I'm glad to hear that you saw some signs of recovery and hope that this process continues

Thanks for the advice on the dive sites! We both have AOW but neither of us have done a wall dive before. Fingers crossed that the currents work in our favour, for the white wall.

Last edited by Jermyn; Aug 5, 2016 at 3:22 am
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Some time ago, my grandmother came to visit for my wedding. She'd always been a bit scattered, but others in the family suggested that she should stay at home - but didn't say more than that!

It turns out, she was in the early stages, and was more scattered than normal, and often confused about where she was. Being in a strange place in a very different timezone can cause confusion in the best of us.

It would have been really, really useful if my family had clued me in beforehand, not to cancel the trip, but so we could have someone pay more attention to her.

It all worked out, but it would have been much smoother, and less annoying for all involved, if I'd known ahead of time.

So, let them know, and for a resort of this quality, they'll likely be very discreet.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Kokomo Island is opening this month and looks quite good. Also looking at Laucala for an April stay next year but hotel shows sold out (odd?). Will wait for some reviews...
Old May 26, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Can someone please send me email for Laucala GM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.