Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Four Seasons George V (with child)

Old Jul 16, 15, 11:24 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM

Intro
When Mr. Ericka asked my son and me to join him on a business trip to Paris, we didn't hesitate to say yes. In our planning, we knew we would need a "full service" hotel that was welcoming to a 3 1/2 year old, had room service, etc. We decided to return to an old friend, the George V.

DavidO helped us make the arrangements and worked very carefully with us on room recommendations. The Four Seasons Preferred Partner amenities included an upgrade if available at check in, full breakfast each morning and surprisingly both a 100 spa and 100 lunch credit. We booked a large Premier Room in the hopes of upgrading to a two room Four Seasons Suite.

George V Entrance

George V Courtyard
Old Jul 16, 15, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Flights

We flew business class on Lufthansa and spent most of our time on their 747-800 and 747-400 aircraft. Both of these planes were equipped with Lufthansa's new lay flat seating and we delighted our plane savvy son with his first "upper deck" flying experience. The crew members treated him to special child activities, amenities and toys. Unfortunately, my beef fillet was very tough. The tortellini and hallibut on the return trip proved to be better choices making the food service somewhat hit or miss.

The Intra European business class on the A320 was a coach seat with a blocked middle that did not offer extra legroom.

Lufthansa Children's Amenities
Old Jul 16, 15, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Premier Room & Four Seasons Suite

Upon check in, we were disappointed to learn that an upgrade was not available. So Celine at the front desk walked us through the available Premier Room configurations to find the one that best suited us. Celine then held a Four Seasons Suite for us halfway through our stay. And when the suite became available after our first night, she proactively contacted us and arranged for our things to be moved while we were out touring.

The Premier Room we started in was 600 square feet and it had a large marble bathroom with one sink, a deep soaking tub, a walk in shower, toilet and bidet. But it did not have a place for a crib or rollaway bed out of eyesight so the hotel provided a privacy screen for our son to sleep at night.

The Four Seasons Suite afforded much more privacy with 750 square feet and a sliding door between the living room and bedroom. The master bathroom was slightly larger with two sinks and it also had a lovely little powder room and a faux balcony with french doors that opened to let in the sights and sounds of Paris.

Both rooms featured beautiful period furniture and decor with the richest fabrics, tassels, knobs and beads, while still feeling updated. The rooms had high ceilings, chandeliers, large windows, and pretty courtyard views.

Four Seasons Suite Bedroom

Four Seasons Suite Living Room

Four Seasons Suite View
Old Jul 16, 15, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Service

Service was excellent at the George V. Ahead of our stay, we exchanged several emails with sales, guest relations and the concierge desk. We received very thoughtful and (mostly) prompt responses. See Opportunities for Improvement below.

While on property, we were greeted by genuine smiles and "Bonjour" and "Bonsoir". And by the second time we encountered a staff member, they knew us by name. The concierge would slip detailed confirmation notes under our door for scheduled activities and restaurant reservations which appealed to the planner in me. Housekeeping was phenomenal, sneaking in and out of our room unseen multiple times per day, and they moved our things from one room to another while we were out, placing them exactly as they were on counters and in drawers. We assume they had taken pictures.

Our 3 1/2 year old son was treated like Le Petit Prince wherever we went. The George V's children's amenities included bath products, a perfectly sized bath robe, a special laundry bag with lower rates, personalized notes throughout our stay, a stuffed puppy named "Fifi", a George V t-shirt, and a spectacular 1 foot tall chocolate Eiffel Tower. And the hotel's restaurants offered our son whimsical "Les Triples" themed children's menus, coloring books and dishes.

Chocolate Eiffel Tower

"Fifi"
Old Jul 16, 15, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Food

Dining within the George V was as memorable as always. We had a wonderful lunch in La Galerie and dinner in the beautiful setting of the hotel's outdoor courtyard where Mr. Ericka had an excellent beef tartar. But our favorite meal was breakfast in our room. It became our morning ritual to open our suite's French doors and look out over Paris' slate rooftops while listening to the church bells ring and eating some of the world's best croissants and pain au chocolat.

Of course, we ate off property too. The concierges recommended a simple bistro within walking distance and another in Le Marais. And they found a creperie where the crepes were made within view so that our young son could better enjoy the experience.

1/2 Bottle Champagne

Chicken

Chantilly Cream
Old Jul 16, 15, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Activities

We were mindful of our son's presence and selected activities that would be fun for someone his age.

With the concierge's help, we chartered an Italian made mahogany boat to experience the Seine, and the boat was able to drop us off at the Eiffel Tower where we had pre-booked tickets for the top viewing platform. The Eiffel Tower was very crowded, especially coming off of the private boat, but it's an experience our son still talks about. He also enjoyed playing in the children's section of the Jardin du Luxembourg and watching the charming and highly interactive French language marionette show before our Gerard Mulot picnic.

The kitchen area at the George V was under construction, so the much touted "back of the house" tour designed especially for children was limited to the staff cafeteria, maintenance and laundry facilities; locations which were far less impressive to a small child than the chocolate room would have been. The child's madeleine baking activity wasn't available either, but our son was asked what his favorite French treats were and they magically appeared in his room later that evening.

In addition, the hotel arranged for an energetic young babysitter so that we could enjoy the Marie Antionette themed spa. We had two of the Signature massages and brought our son back for family pool hours from 11:00am to 5:00pm. It was fun to watch the children's toys arrive and depart according to this strict schedule and it reminded us of the movie Caddyshack (Caddy Day, Caddies Welcome 1:00 - 1:15).

We also walked along the Champs Elysees to show our son the Arc de Triomphe and on our last morning, we were able to see parts of the Bastille Day parade and military fly-over before departing for the airport.

Boat Charter

Boat Charter

Bastille Day Parade
Old Jul 16, 15, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Opportunities for Improvement

Our visit was just after the haute couture fashion week, and as we got closer to the time of our trip, emails to the concierge were going as long as 3 days unanswered and I had to reach out again for a reply. They were obviously very busy.

And when we first checked in, the crib in our room was strangely collapsed with one corner of the mattress hanging down on the floor. We're not sure how that could have gone unnoticed, unless maybe it happened after the room was prepared. The crib was of course replaced right away.
Old Jul 16, 15, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Summary

The Four Seasons George V is one of the world's legendary hotels. It's known for it's service, it's food, it's flowers, etc. But people may not realize just how child friendly it can be! And seeing a favorite city through the eyes of a child is like seeing it for the first time all over again.
Old Jul 16, 15, 12:52 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Great report!
Old Jul 16, 15, 2:24 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks! I find Paris a little bit crazy regarding prices, but what shall I do.... Last time in Paris it was unfortunally only a day-trip.....
Old Jul 16, 15, 2:25 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Fabulous

Well, as luck would have it we were right next door at the Prince de Galles, which was quite nice but not in the same league at George V. I was looking for a three and a half year old every day. So sorry that we didn't see you, but I did see Joe Montana!

One thing I noticed is that guests were exceptionally well dressed, good looking and very wealthy looking at George V. and I probably would have felt intimidated there.

We went on that same boat ride with River Limousine, too, had sitters arranged every night for dinners at some of Paris' top restaurants as well as Parisian nightlife (that one place across the street!), and were at George V/Champs corner during the parade. The fireworks, later, were amazing.
Old Jul 16, 15, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Joe Montana. That's who that was! I ran into him a couple of times at the spa. Seemed like a nice guy.

I guess we just missed each other on multiple occasions. Too bad.

I should add that we dress pretty casually, especially during the day, and we never felt uncomfortable in the hotel. I wouldn't want to be there during fashion week, though.
Old Jul 16, 15, 9:46 pm

Great trip report. I've wanted to stay at George V but fear I wouldn't match the clientele attire--one man's casual is my Sunday wear
Old Jul 16, 15, 9:50 pm

Programs: QF CL
Ericka, thank you for another great report. It's so nice to have a cohort of regulars on this board who, like me, see absolutely no reason why our travelling preferences should be compromised just because we have children!

Really good to know the George V does special laundry rates for children's clothes. We found a similar service very convenient when we stayed at the Carlyle a few years back and I am disappointed that more luxury hotels don't do it. At the Peninsula in NYC we decided it was cheaper to go shopping than to pay laundry rates, which is really saying something....

Don't be put off visiting Paris during fashion week. A couple of years ago I was at the MO for fashion week and I'd return without hesitation! David O's magic ensured that as Virtuoso guests we were invited to a number of private events at the hotel and the general people watching was the best!
Old Jul 17, 15, 6:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ericka View Post
The Four Seasons George V is one of the world's legendary hotels. It's known for it's service, it's food, it's flowers, etc. But people may not realize just how child friendly it can be! And seeing a favorite city through the eyes of a child is like seeing it for the first time all over again.
Agree. Frankly, I think this is a direct result of being a Four Seasons, which has to be one of the most child-friendly hotel companies worldwide. Good for them, as they handle it exceptionally well!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: