Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Florence: the Baglioni. $200's.
For $ 200 it may be decent, but I canīt see itīs an alternative to FS
Old Jun 25, 15, 10:25 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
In Venice I would definitely avoid the traditional five star palaces - the Gritti, Danieli, Bauer etc. All are crawling with tour groups and while the map looks to be a fab location for all hotels you will quickly tire of the noise and the hordes of tourists, especially when a big cruise ship is in the lagoon.
I had a lovely stay at the Gritti last summer. It's well beyond the lagoon, so no cruise ships. (I'll never stay at the Danieli again though for the location reason. Horrid amount of tourists passing by.) The Gritti has a lovely location for me with a vaporetto stop very near by. I loved sitting on the deck over the water, watching the canal traffic.
Old Jun 25, 15, 11:11 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
ejong,

Portrait Suites is part of the Lungarno collection and its top level hotel. They have two or three others as well, also nice, but not nearly as nice as Portrait.

They also own Portrait Roma.
Old Jun 25, 15, 1:24 pm
Ens

I stayed at the FS Florence and the Russie in September 2014. These were my random thoughts at the time:

FS Florence: outstanding; the 'jewel in the crown of the FS group' . Stunning hotel with beautiful grounds and pool. Polished professional service. One of the best hotels I have ever visited.

Hotel de Russie: hotel fully booked . Front -of-house staff; professional but no feeling of welcome. Of course, any hotel would be a disappointment after Florence and I have yet to find an outstanding hotel in Rome.
The garden restaurant was a big bonus in a hot city. Attentive and fun restauraunt staff; excellent dinner and the best breakfast of my stay in Italy. I could have sat in the garden all day. Standard room tiny with bath-over-shower combo. Hotel de Russie grossly overpriced as are all 5 star hotels in Rome. It has the edge on the others by virtue of the garden and location. BTW - the street outside the hotel was closed due to roadworks; taxi has to drop-off in the main Piazza and you lug your bags over to the hotel.

If budget is restricted: stay at the FS in Florence and go for a good 4* hotel in room
Old Jun 25, 15, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

All these responses are terrific. I feel sorry for people who have not yet discovered FT and all the cumulative travel wisdom here. Thanks so much.

Maybe I should start a Crowdfunder to pay for my stay at FS Florence...
Old Jun 26, 15, 4:08 am

As a FS fan, I recommend FS Florence. That place itself and the things inside make it look like a historical art museum.
Old Jun 26, 15, 10:43 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat
I have stayed at the Lungarno in Florence and thought it was lovely, however it was a while ago. If you stay there, make sure to get a room overlooking the Arno.
Old Jun 29, 15, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by chelsea2 View Post
I have stayed at the Lungarno in Florence and thought it was lovely, however it was a while ago. If you stay there, make sure to get a room overlooking the Arno.
We had a lovely stay at the Lungarno in Florence maybe 3-4 years ago. I would absolutely stay there again. The location was very easy for sightseeing (just over the Ponte Vecchio and down the block) and our room with a view of the Arno was great. The bathroom was also very nice (Ferragamo branded toiletries, of course) and the included breakfast was a great way to start the day. At the time, we got a fantastic rate and they honored Amex FHR benefits with an upgrade, breakfast (though it may be that breakfast was included anyway), etc. I remember the concierge being very good about helping us book some day trips and confirming things.

We also ended up leaving our things there for a few days and grabbed the high speed rail over to Venice for a short trip (we flew in and out of Pisa). Zero issues with the hotel holding our things for us.

At the time we were looking for something nice but less expensive than the FS so this fit the bill. We were barely in our room as with most sightseeing heavy trips but really liked this hotel.

Edited to add that we were in Rome last summer and stayed at the Westin. We originally had the St. Regis booked (SPG points) but switched to the Westin because the rooms were bigger and the location a bit better. We had a fantastic stay and we were upgraded to a huge 2 bedroom suite with a separate living room. It is by the Spanish Steps area. Just floating another option though it is not "luxury" compared to some of the other hotels.
Old Jun 29, 15, 8:35 am

I should add tony previous comment that I have stayed a few times at the Hassler. Definitely old world, highly traditional, aristocratic and I like the fact that's not part of a big chain like Sheraton. The rooftop restaurant at the Hassler is stunningly beautiful.
Old Jun 29, 15, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, SPG/MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
I should add tony previous comment that I have stayed a few times at the Hassler. Definitely old world, highly traditional, aristocratic and I like the fact that's not part of a big chain like Sheraton. The rooftop restaurant at the Hassler is stunningly beautiful.
The rooftop restaurant has recently changed to become more "contemporary" which is a stark change from how it used to be. The rest of the hotel is still a classic.
Old Jun 30, 15, 6:06 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Im just back from Venice and the best choices without a shadow in my mind are:
Cipriani & Aman - both equally good in different ways, combine the 2 if you can. With slightly lower budget you cant beat the JW Marriott Venice - best marriott I have ever been to and definitely luxury! I have reviewed the JW on my blog and also in the Marriott forum, the Cip and Aman I am about to release on my blog and will also post a bit on this forum. Suffice to say both were AMAZING!
Old Jun 30, 15, 8:09 am

I second everyone here who recommended Aman Venice. Assuming it fits your budget, I would recommend it without hesitation.

My feelings about the FS Florence are a little more mixed. Yes, it's a great hotel by any measure -- lovely rooms, wonderful dining, terrific service all around -- but a little too far removed for my tastes. I love to walk around and get lost in big cities, but late-night walks from the historic center of Florence to the hotel seemed to go on forever, particularly when you factor in the inevitable getting lost time. We were there for a while, so we got used to it, but for shorter visits, I'd recommend something more centrally located like Lugarno or Portrait.

Finding a good hotel in Rome is much less a challenge. There are many great hotels in different areas, so I'd do as others suggest and pick the attractions you want to see and find something nearby. We most recently stayed at the St. Regis and were very happy with it. It's on the larger side and not as close to the key tourist sites as other hotels, but the walking distances weren't too bad and the hotel itself was fantastic.
Old Jun 30, 15, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Rome: I love the Majestic, on lower Via Veneto near Piazza Barberini. It is not 5-star luxury but is a "fat" 4 with many charming features. Be sure and get a deluxe double or at least a superior double - not a tiny single room. Costs in the $200's per night.
Also had a great stay at the majestic. The location is really good and concierge was great. Can't remember what we paid.
Old Jul 1, 15, 12:31 pm

In Rome we stayed at and loved Portrait Roma. Location for us was perfect and a great breakfast was served every morning on the roof top. Service was exceptional and we loved our suite. Will definitely return there next trip!

Haven't stayed at the FS in Firenze, but on our last trip we were at the St Regis. Our suite (the Botticelli suite) was gorgeous and I'm certain considerably less than the FS. The service was wonderful and the location is an easy walk to the center of town. Something to consider.
Old Jul 1, 15, 3:33 pm
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bebop bonnie View Post
I'm certain considerably less than the FS.
Iīm not so sure, especially suites are often very expensive at St. R

Search this Thread
Search Engine: