Peru and the Inca Trail

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peru and the Inca Trail

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:01 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Thanks - I did read all that. We'll probably go to MAP during a museum visit for lunch - if the museum is worth visiting (we wouldn't have been to Larco yet in Lima).
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:09 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

We stayed in Cusco for three nights and I didn't think much of it. I think that I would have preferred to have gone to Inkaterra Reservica even though it's a little bit of a pain with flying there and back.

Also, HotelB looks way, way, way cooler to me than the Belmond in Lima. Try not to get too caught up in Virtuoso hotels!

Maido might be worth a look in Lima.

We went to MAP from the rec BHrubin, and it was good and the glass enclosure is very nice. However, the altitude is pretty high and I would have preferred to eaten in Lima. Plus, I'm a sucker for the street food in Peru so fine dining has less appeal to me there.

Last edited by DSI; Jun 10, 2016 at 9:15 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:28 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
In the Sacred Valley what are the most recommended sights/tours? Our trip is still a long way off but trying to make sure we allow time for the highlights.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
In the Sacred Valley what are the most recommended sights/tours? Our trip is still a long way off but trying to make sure we allow time for the highlights.
Maras, Moray and Ollantaytambo
damon88 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:49 am

If you are at all into food, go to MIL. It was absolutely incredible, and right overlooking Moray.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:32 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Pisac is also interesting - I did a hike here on my own (my father isn't super mobile so I left him in the little market town). I think you need 3 nights in Sacred Valley. You can see Maras, Moray and Chincero on your way from Cusco to Sacred Valley (and have lunch at MIL as suggested above). Then do one day Pisac, one day Ollantaytambo in Sacred Valley.

We did 1 night Lima, 3 nights Sacred Valley, 1 night Machu Picchu, 2 nights Cusco, 1 night Lima (all Belmond, except Sacred Valley where we did Sol Y Luna due to a wedding at the Belmond place). This worked well for us and also the lower altitude of Sacred Valley before Cusco made sense for acclimatisation. I don't think you need more than 2 nights in Cusco - there isn't anything great to see outside of the small old town (Saqsaywaman was mildly interesting, but after Sacred Valley/Machu Picchu we kind of thought what was the point).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:39 am

I second Maras, Moray and Ollyantambo as well. We did Moray and Maras as part of the same day hiking trip organized by Explora Hotel and the view walking down from up top is jaw dropping amazing
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:00 pm

I should add, if you are at all into hiking, I would spend a good bit of time in the Sacred Valley. Incredible, spectacular scenery.

We stayed 5 nights at the Explora last April, and easily could’ve done another 5.

Our Peru and Bolivia trip was one of our favorites of all time.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by aa213bb
I should add, if you are at all into hiking, I would spend a good bit of time in the Sacred Valley. Incredible, spectacular scenery.
We stayed 5 nights at the Explora last April, and easily could’ve done another 5.
^
I wish I stayed longer; the Sacred Valley was far greater than what I expected.
Actually I could have narrowed my trip down to Sacred Valley and Macchu Picchu
i also liked Taquile island very much.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:39 pm

We just came back a bit over a week ago from Peru. Agreed on all the Sacred Valley highlights mentioned above - Maras, Moray, and Ollantaytambo were definitely our favorites. And MIL is a must do - amazing experience. We skipped Lima this time but adecided that we want to come back to Peru some time just to try out Central because we were so impressed by MIL. On a side note, the F&B manager at Explora mentioned that they signed Virgilio Martinez as their consultant in January and they'll be working with him to introduce a new menu in February. I thought the food at Explora was already very good so am curious to see what they can accomplish!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:34 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by Fc912
we want to come back to Peru some time just to try out Central because we were so impressed by MIL
We had excellent meals at both Central and Mil. But the most unforgettable dining experience for us was at Maido.

It's definitely an apples to oranges comparison, but you owe it to yourself to find time to fit in Maido if you're a foodie.

We'll be going back to Peru for our fifth time this November - the incredible food there is one reason why (the other are the mountains, history, culture and... most impressively to us... the Amazon.)
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:41 pm
Was sydakllon

Not to make this thread all about food, but I was also blown away by food in Peru. Whether it was at one of the well known restaurants, somewhere simple, or our hotels, the food was consistently very impressive everywhere we went.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:25 pm

I am in Peru right now, staying at the Hotel Paracas, which is one of those uppity Marriotts called Luxury Collection. The hotel is impressive and not often frequented by foreigners as it's a 4-hour drive south of Lima. Astounding bird life, coastal desert scenery plus the Nazca Lines if you fancy them (we didn't). We've done 4 nights here and tomorrow we have one night at the Hotel B in Lima before flying to Quito and two jungle lodges - Sacha and Mashpi.
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jan 23, 2019 at 4:33 pm
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We had excellent meals at both Central and Mil. But the most unforgettable dining experience for us was at Maido.

It's definitely an apples to oranges comparison, but you owe it to yourself to find time to fit in Maido if you're a foodie.
Maido is so exceptional! Easily one of the best meals I've ever enjoyed. Would return in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:28 pm

Yes, the food in Peru is incredible. The one spot I’ll differ on is Maido - we ate it after meals at AyG and Central (and MIL), and were wildly unimpressed. I do love nikkei cuisine, but was left seriously wanting.

For the record, Virgilio is opening a new restaurant in the Amazon, this year (I believe).

Back to the topic at hand - I also recommend Taquile and Lago Titicaca, and particularly a stay a Titilaka.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.