Search

The Ultimate Guide to Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:48 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
Replying to CityFlyer,

Well, this is annoying.

I have a trip planned for the end of January, and I was hoping this place didn't suck. I was not impressed with the FS Bora Bora soft product, and it sounds like the FS Lanai might be a similar experience.

I do have food sensitivities, but nothing that's immediately life threatening, so if they manage to not actually poison us, we'll survive the vacation, but at $1,000+ per night, "Didn't Die!" is not a great recommendation!

Thanks for providing the info. This time, we're booked through a FSPP agent - mostly because American Express FHR is in a state of flux (i.e. is completely sucking) for 2019 bookings. If this works out, I may use a TA more often!
Don’t get me wrong, the property itself is beautiful (could probably use 25% less rooms fwiw) as is Lanai. The activity staff we interacted with were fantastic. Our main gripe is simply most of F&B in the front of the house is rather clueless and management did take our issue seriously until we pushed. We were having a pretty good stay until the allergic event went down.

That said, if tickets are already booked, you should look forward to your stay (and maybe triple check that whatever you have a sensitivity to isn’t in your food ).
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
First time reading this thread about Four Seasons.

I wonder what would be the strong point of Four Seasons hotels?

Just did a stay in FS Jakarta and it was quite disappointing.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there was never a time when any brand would never have any bad stay / property

FS jakarta: if 'best' in city for someone not regular elsewhere, that's market not FS

FS has mixed reports in kuala lumpur thread, includes at least 2 positive recently

FS (etc) regulars can get (& report) similar treatment as marriott (etc) regulars

preferences & values vary re: service including flexibility ; hard product ; dining

'brands' are 'dead' (aman only unique for room count, not everyone cares about it)

but likely top brands retain average that is big jump up from the biggest brands

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 30, 2018 at 3:12 pm
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by kaizen7

Haven't stayed at many FS myself but i would say that FS Florence seems quite highly regarded
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Just curious as fs as a chain seems very highly regarded by many.

Obviously my sample size (1stay) is very small. I might have future fs stays at other locations though.

Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

Obviously my sample size (1stay) is very small. I might have future fs stays at other locations though.

For me, I don’t have any loyalty to FS, it’s more when I travel I look at top hotels in each city and they’re usually but not always FS.

The thing I do like about FS is their app and in room iPad for communicating with the property staff (IRD, water, turndown, etc) which I find to be highly effective and user friendly when the staff is on point.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:52 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I do think FS as a whole tends to be better than RC, StR, MO, WA etc.. so it’s probably the best of the large lux chains
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

29 MO after 4 new reflags

114 FS plus >
2 early 2019 - bengaluru, boston
4 mid 2019 - philadelphia, napa, cabo, montreal
1 late 2019 - madrid

great point below, FS had history of incredible hiring vs how most handle hiring. it matters.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 31, 2018 at 10:23 am
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:37 am

FS is about people, and not only limited to marketing. I am not worried yet about culture, though with many openings increasingly difficult to nurture the teams all around.

On a different note, today is last official day of J. Allen Smith, with no replacement found as yet and CFO taking over tomorrow as acting. We shall see. I hear they are very selective, which is great -- this has been the case with a quite a few GM appointments which were great. Though we should not forget EMEA still reeling from Jumeirah's hostile takeovers.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:24 pm

Just did a stay in FS Jakarta and it was quite disappointing.
Four Seasons offers amazing service and luxury but with more locations than, say, Aman, One&Only, Peninsula, or MO. They are very consistent and a luxury staple that you know you can count on (with the exception of a few properties).

A few Four Seasons properties are some of my favourite hotels of all time. Those are The Nam Hai (Hoi An, Vietnam), Tented Camp Golden Triangle (Chiang Rai, Thailand), Maldives Landaa Giraavaru, George V (Paris, France), Seychelles, and Seychelles Desroches Island.

When Four Seasons delivers, they really deliver.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10

I do think FS as a whole tends to be better than RC, StR, MO, WA etc.. so it’s probably the best of the large lux chains
I did some stays at str, luxcol, or rc. Being rc rewards members, these hotel sure have advantages of knowing my preferences due to rc rewards profile.

And for fs, it was my first time stay there, so I really dont have any expectation about personalised service.
however the staff there (fs jakarta) really disorganised and sometimes clueless about the benefits.
check in is slow due to only 1 reception available.
and it took longer due to there are no proper queue. People barge straight to the reception desk and it was quite messy.

club benefit (hotel dont have club lounge but the benefit is provided at hotel own bar) is not explained properly when check in. Have to ask staff for explanations and they seems unsure about it.
one particular benefit, 4pm late check out is not granted straight away (only need 2pm check out but somehow staff only grant 1pm)
on the check out date, i asked again if i can have 2pm check out they finally agreed.

hopefully it just their bad day

forgot to add, supposedly i got “personalised in room check in” as part of the suite benefit but apparently no one even bother.

Last edited by kaizen7; Dec 31, 2018 at 2:34 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
FS is about people, and not only limited to marketing. I am not worried yet about culture, though with many openings increasingly difficult to nurture the teams all around. On a different note, today is last official day of J. Allen Smith, with no replacement found as yet and CFO taking over tomorrow as acting. We shall see. I hear they are very selective, which is great -- this has been the case with a quite a few GM appointments which were great.
skift.com/2018/09/28/four-seasons-ceo-to-suitors-thanks-but-no-thanks/
Originally Posted by J. Allen Smith
what really impressed me was that...The people of Four Seasons were as authentic when I was on the inside as they appeared to be when I was on the outside. There was never this Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde moment. Where I felt like, jeez I was hoodwinked in some way. So, the quality of the people in the company is absolutely extraordinary. And that is something that being part of the Four Seasons family is something that is very special to me.

80 percent of our pipeline is a mixed use hotel/residential project. And as I said, the hotel wouldn’t get build if it weren’t for the residential piece.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I did some stays at str, luxcol, or rc. Being rc rewards members, these hotel sure have advantages of knowing my preferences due to rc rewards profile.

And for fs, it was my first time stay there, so I really dont have any expectation about personalised service.
however the staff there (fs jakarta) really disorganised and sometimes clueless about the benefits.
check in is slow due to only 1 reception available.
and it took longer due to there are no proper queue. People barge straight to the reception desk and it was quite messy.

club benefit (hotel dont have club lounge but the benefit is provided at hotel own bar) is not explained properly when check in. Have to ask staff for explanations and they seems unsure about it.
one particular benefit, 4pm late check out is not granted straight away (only need 2pm check out but somehow staff only grant 1pm)
on the check out date, i asked again if i can have 2pm check out they finally agreed.

hopefully it just their bad day

forgot to add, supposedly i got “personalised in room check in” as part of the suite benefit but apparently no one even bother.

To be fair, Jakarta is probably not the best luxury brand quality indicator for any chain.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
To be fair, Jakarta is probably not the best luxury brand quality indicator for any chain.
Btw, Aventine, have you heard re new FS Seoul GM? He’s es Kempinski but seems solid. Outside hire.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented

Btw, Aventine, have you heard re new FS Seoul GM? He’s es Kempinski but seems solid. Outside hire.
Had no idea. Very varied and accomplished resume. Will post in the FS Seoul thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.