Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate Guide to Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:51 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
This summer we stayed at our first Four Seasons hotel: the FS at Sultanahmet in Istanbul at the end of August. I have put a detailed review on my blog and a FT review will follow. The highlights:

We used their VIP transfer from IST airport which included a pickup at the gate, drive on a "golf cart" to the diplomat/crew immigration line and a chauffeur drive in a BMW 7 series to the hotel. Nice, because zero waiting time, and massaging seats while standing in traffic jam - but it comes at a price: about 200 EUR.

What I will take away from this stay above all is the service. I read about service hiccups at this hotel in reviews on FT, but we didn't have any of those - to the contrary. Just two examples:
  • We got great recommendations for tourist spots and also really valuable time-saving info, e.g. to skip the big lines at the museums we wanted to buy the museum card and got the tip to buy this at the mosaic museum, where no one wants to go (sorry), since you can buy this card at any participating museum. So we didn’t have to wait in line to buy the line-skipping museum card valid for the famous spots. Perfect!
  • On our last day at the pool my drink was spilled on my shirt by the wind (don’t ask). It was no ones fault, but they turned it into their problem by offering to take it into dry cleaning. When I said that we have to catch a flight this evening he said we can make it. And he was right. They made it and we were not charged for it. This felt like genuine customer-centric service attitude.

Review summary

Good
  • Fantastic service: they make your problem to their own
  • Best location for sightseeing in Istanbul
  • Rooftop bar with a great view
  • Great breakfast
  • Free shuttle service to sister FS at the Bosphorus
  • Mattress was as good as advertised
Bad
  • Not a great view from our room
  • No spa on premise
  • Bad wifi in our room
Photos on my blog: http://www.continentaltraveller.blog...ahmet-istanbul

I would recommend this FS especially for Istanbul sightseeing, while seasoned Istanbul-travellers might enjoy the FS Bosphorus more for its pool and accessible location, e.g. when returning from boat rides or shopping.

FS as a chain made a great impression on me and this was definitely not our last stay with them.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/Aadvantage Club
Four Seasons in Africa?

I will be in Africa, specifically Morocco and Tunisia, over the holidays and when looking for places to stay, I did notice there are a few Four Seasons hotels between these two countries.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:35 pm

New Four Seasons Bangkok and Hanoi

Does anybody have a clue as to when these new Four Seasons might be opening and accepting reservations? Planning a trip to SE asia in Nov. 2019 and am hoping they might be operational by then

Last edited by CedarSwampThing; Nov 4, 2018 at 6:35 pm Reason: spell correct
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by CedarSwampThing
Does anybody have a clue as to when these new Four Seasons might be opening and accepting reservations? Planning a trip to SE asia in Nov. 2019 and am hoping they might be operational by then
Too early for Bangkok, most interior works are about to begin and recruiting also takes time. It's a gamble.
BESVISOR and CedarSwampThing like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Too early for Bangkok, most interior works are about to begin and recruiting also takes time. It's a gamble.
I think 2020 at the earliest for FS Bangkok. They will definitely take their time with their return to Bangkok.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:39 am

Thank you for your input @scented and @Aventine. Thats too bad. It's going to be my first time in Bangkok and truthfully, Im not excited by any of the hotels I've been looking at.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Thank you for your input @scented and @Aventine. Thats too bad. It's going to be my first time in Bangkok and truthfully, Im not excited by any of the hotels I've been looking at.
Rosewood opening next year a possible goer ?
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:14 am

@Nizar That's exactly what I thinking though I would preferred to stay by the river my first time in BKK. Also plan to check out the new Rosewood in Yangon
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:20 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
For now, I'd suggest splitting your time in Bangkok between Mandarin Oriental or The Siam (if you have enough days in Bangkok)...I really love The Siam. It's a completely different feel than the central hotels and the GM/Team is just fantastic!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nizar
Rosewood opening next year a possible goer ?
Definitely on track for 1Q 2019.
CedarSwampThing likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:45 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
Are FSPP agents able to book FS offers and combine with normal benefits? Looking at FS Lanai ‘Discover Lanai’ package. $200-400/day activity credit at BAR. Combined with FSPP this is might make me eat my words about the hotel being too overpriced..
so a follow up on this:

FS Lanai ended up serving my nut-allergic SO peanuts after insisting wasabi crusted nuts were in fact toasted edamame. Luckily, the SO has yet to have an anaphylactic reaction to nuts and didn’t need to be airlifted to Maui (just hives and lots of vomiting). Needless to say, stay wreck.

FS’s non-recovery recovery: comping the meal they sent to our room after this happened and not even acknowledging this happened at check-out. Insulting to say the least...

As an update, ultimately we were made whole but it took a week of pushing.

The resort itself is beautiful and some staff fantastic, but F&B FoH staff has serious issues and it wasn’t just limited to our fateful meal.

That being said, we ended up using BESVISOR and I know he worked hard on helping get them to make this right. Not to make this an ad but if you need an new TA who works hard to provide good service...

Last edited by Cityflyer10; Dec 8, 2018 at 7:38 am
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by christianj
To answer my own question on the FS Astir Athens opening date...I emailed them and they said March 2019.

Since the management of the hotels is talked about so much in this forum.... Sam Ioannidis will be the GM of the hotel. He was evidently the GM in Baku and most recently the GM that opened Four Seasons Hotel Abu Dhabi at Maryah Island.
They now take reservations. Rooms seems to have the same layout as before during Westin and Luxury Collection times and the building is still a big complex. Considering they claim for something decent (i.e. suite) during my possible visit more than Amanzoe I think I will most probably only stay at Amanzoe and a city hotel (for sightseeing FS is not a good option as it seems). So far I think with the prices they claim itīs quite unattractive. If they didnīt completely rebuild the beach itīs also nothing I must see in my life.....
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
FS Las Vegas Concierge

Might anyone have an email for the Las Vegas property concierge?

Thanking you in advance!
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Replying to CityFlyer,

Well, this is annoying.

I have a trip planned for the end of January, and I was hoping this place didn't suck. I was not impressed with the FS Bora Bora soft product, and it sounds like the FS Lanai might be a similar experience.

I do have food sensitivities, but nothing that's immediately life threatening, so if they manage to not actually poison us, we'll survive the vacation, but at $1,000+ per night, "Didn't Die!" is not a great recommendation!

Thanks for providing the info. This time, we're booked through a FSPP agent - mostly because American Express FHR is in a state of flux (i.e. is completely sucking) for 2019 bookings. If this works out, I may use a TA more often!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:43 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
747FC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.